What's new

Flank pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Ive noticed off and on i get what feels like kidney pain when i hit the root hard its prob my lifestyle from before and all the crap i put in my body on a daily basis , ibuprofen, allergy meds ,vitamins and lits of yerbe mate and about 48 oz of kava including micronized. However its becoming a nuscience . Guess i need a liver check up any help would thx

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
Well, If it feels like Kidney pain.
Why say you need a liver check up?
Have you been making sure to get those electrolytes in your system?
Ever have stones? or IBS?
IBU can aggrivate the bowels/intestine.

D

Deleted User01

Bulabuck, you need to get a complete checkup and blood work regardless of the pain. I'm to the point where I'm doing bloodwork twice a year but I also have insurance. Find a good Doc, one you can trust, and let him go over you from head to toe. Tell him your whole history. I used to always tell the Doc that I thought I drank too much (alcohol). Make sure he does the liver test and the vitamin D test. Now ask yourself, when is the last time you had that done? Like the Chilli commercial says, "Well that's too long".

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Well, If it feels like Kidney pain.
Why say you need a liver check up?
Have you been making sure to get those electrolytes in your system?
Ever have stones? or IBS?
IBU can aggrivate the bowels/intestine.
Ha yea ur both right i have not been to the doctor in a decade plus no insurance. And i dont know why i said liver check i ment both iam DEF NOT. Blaming kava just bummed that it may aggravate my already shot kidneys and liver because i abused them early on Thx. Guys

D

Deleted User01

Don't blame anything on anything. You may not have any problems at all. I have wierd pains here and there so you never know. But you need to invest in a complete checkup. You will sleep a lot better knowing what is or isn't going on. Hey, you ain't the only one who has tickled their livers and kidneys in the past. I was looking at some of the symptoms for liver problems and it includes yellow tinge to eyes and skin and dark colored urine. I'm not sure Kava tickles the Kidneys. Maybe Endwatcher is right, could be the beginning of Kidney stones. Just drink lots of water and try to see a Doc for your 10 year check up.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Sounds like its off to the doc for you my man. You never know. I've put my body through a lot of crap and I just got my test back and it's all fine, so hopefully it's the same for you.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Bradford, kava is a diuretic and if you do not get enough water it might concentrate your urine and cause small or even large kidney stones, this has happened to me, 3 times before I started to drink plenty of water and keeping a big gatoraid bottle of water with me at all times and drinking the water all the time, it is hard at the beginning but after you get used to it, there is no problem. I hope it is something simple like just drinking more water. Aloha

Chris

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Thanks everybody i just wanted to get some feedback i was afraid to post about this because i dont want to put any negative light on the good root so i need a check up also more water and a break or cut back also be mad at myself for all those years of destroying my organs vital :grumpy:

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
@BULABUCK I know exactly the kind of pain you are talking about. It's after hitting kava hard for an extended amount of time. I also feel like when i get that pain i feel less energetic and more lethargic than usual. I'm trying to get between 2-3 liters of water intake per day but it seems to happen when lose track of drinking water and keep drinking kava. Gotta strike a good balance as with everything. It's gotten me a couple times recently just due to a busier schedule now that the weather warmed up more events are scheduled closer together so my kava intake goes way up since I kava myself in most of those situations.

I also try to drink some daily detox tea of some sort I feel like that's helping a little. Should prob get to the doctor myself though just to get a checkup and tests done.

D

Deleted User01

I like the Water angle. I drink a lot of water because I sit on a desk all day and the bathroom is 5 yards away. It's harder when you are moving around and/or working a busy schedule at a place of business. I met a guy at Walmart the other day and he had like 20 gallons of distilled water in his cart. I asked him if he had well water at home and he said that he has kidney stones and the doc recommended distilled water. I forgot to ask him if he drank Kava. :smuggrin:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I want to revitalize this thread because its exactly whats been happening to me off and on. I really hope water will take care of it, i dont want to end up with kidney stones or having to cut kava. Its strange it is so acute that i sometimes feel it right after drinking a big bowl of kava and it will go away in like an hour or so. Not very painful but makes me uneasy knowing how organ problems can be. I will try drinking way more water, both with or without kava, and will try to let you guys know how it goes. Interestingly the one kava that gives me this feelingmuch more than any other is nene, despite it being gentle and hangover-free. Weird huh? Im not 100% sure but its possible that nene is one of the only strains that i get this with

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Everyone's body reacts differently to kava. Maybe that's why Nene gives you problems? I noticed the OP mentioned taking ibuprofen. To the best of my knowledge ibuprofen and tylenol are metabolized by the same enzymes as kava. That's why I take asprin. I can't completely avoid tylenol because it is in some of the meds I have to take, but I limit it as much as possible.

D

Deleted User01

Being a big drinker of Nene, I'm surprised but it's true that kava hits people differently so anything is possible. Can you describe exactly what you are feeling and in what area? I'm going to throw this out here for discussion. What if certain Kavas make you sleep in weird positions and you end up feeling sore the next day? Alcohol can certainly do that. Though I would never figure Nene for that because it gives me "dark" sleep. Deep sleep.
Also, I'm not a doctor (I only play one on the Kava Forums) but what kind of condition can come and go depending on whether we drink kava that day? If you already have stones, then they are there whether you drink Kava or not. If your pain comes and goes, then you need to figure out a condition that is temporary and that can be inflammed by your diet. I don't think Kidney stones are temporary. Gas certainly is. Muscle pain is temporary too. How about nerve pain? Allergies can certainly be on the list. Any other ideas?

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
I had a liver function test 3 years ago as i was experiencing pain on my right hand side. I also had the ultrasound scan. Fortunately everything was ok which surprised me at the time because my liver was being naughty and i was punishing it.
From that scan on i cut right back on alcohol.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
So I started to have this after 2-3 weeks of constant usage and it was bothering me quite a bit. An achiness in my lower back. I assumed eventually it was just back pain as it went away at the same time as I stopped Kava (or at least I stopped paying attention to it). I drank quite a bit of Kava last night after 7-10 days of cessation and the achiness seems to have returned. Problem with this type of issue is that it could very well be muscle related as I am very sedentary, move very little, and have poor posture as a result of working behind a computer for over 10 years. However, I find it concerning it "shows up" when I do Kava again, but with my lifestyle and the fact I have strong psychosomatic symptoms that show up as a result of my Anxiety it's hard to trust the physical feeling I have.

On a interesting note this is the first time I've ever had a "next day" buzz and I'm feeling pretty alright asides from worrying my kidneys are failing or something.

Sorry if it was bad to bump this topic I just wanted to let you guys know.

Any tips for knowing if It's kidney or back related? I find it hard to tell. I have a doctor appointment next week so I will bring this up with my doctor. I think I'll make sure to be using Kava consistently for a few days before any tests so that if something is being triggered it will definitively show up and I can come back and tell you guys about it.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi Bradford, kava is a diuretic and if you do not get enough water it might concentrate your urine and cause small or even large kidney stones, this has happened to me, 3 times before I started to drink plenty of water and keeping a big gatoraid bottle of water with me at all times and drinking the water all the time, it is hard at the beginning but after you get used to it, there is no problem. I hope it is something simple like just drinking more water. Aloha

Chris
That's my first go to solution for anything now, water, and usually that's what it's about. Not always, of course, but far more often than not whatever it is is a matter of drinking more water Even if one drinks just a little kava every day you have to drink more water and if you drink a lot of kava, well....

Status
Not open for further replies.