What's new

Flavored instant kava?

Nils

Kava Curious
I'm looking to introduce some of my friends into kava and was considering getting some flavored instant kavas since that might be easier on their palates than kava I drink. Any recommended brands/flavors? And how do the effects of instant kava compare to kava made from the ground root powder yourself?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
For me the instant kava is a bit different than the real thing, it depends on how the instant kava was made, there are a lot of instant kava that is made from extract and that is the difference I do not like, there are some instant kava that is made from spray drying the aqueous extract, that kind is not really an extract it is just the kava made from fresh root and water then they take out all the fibers and spray dry the kava drink so in actuality you are only getting the potency of a regular kava drink and not really an extract. So for me I would drink a instant kava made from the aqueous extract but not the solvent or CO2 based extracts. I have not found a flavored instant kava that I like, if you have a problem with the taste then use root beer and take a sip after drinking the kava and it will cut the flavor of the kava. Aloha.

Chris

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Bulah Kava House makes a good one. Most instants differ in flavor from powdered root. They can actually be a little sweet.

Gourmet is correct, they're not like the real thing but they hold there own. They are an item of convenience.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'm not a big fan of instants/extracts. I just don't really find them to be very potent v. powdered root.. As far as no-prep products for me its basically Paradise Extract > Kava Kauai Instant > other instants (I've tried several).

Actually, all of the instants I've had (non-flavored) have tasted remarkably similar. Pretty bad, but not as bad as powdered root.

I haven't tried any flavored instants.