What's new

Found fresh root powder locally...

Introspect

Kava Curious
Hey guys, thought I would share with you my findings today. I live in Greensboro, North Carolina and the local store I obtained the tincture extract that I began using on last Friday (my first experience with Kava) also carries the fresh root powder. Unfortunately, they were out of it today and not expecting anymore to come in until this Friday. Also, they said they their root powder comes from Fiji but that's all I really know about it (other than it runs about $40 a pound). The owner there is really nice and he told me about a friend of his that owns a coffee shop that serves fresh Kava right down the street from his store. I went there and liked the environment (was kinda artsy and they have open mic night for poets/artists at times, so that's cool being that I am an artist myself). They have singles and doubles, so of course I ordered a double. They add flavor which I wouldn't prefer, but I just got it how they serve it. Mind you, this is my first experience with a drink made from the actual root powder so I may not explain this properly, lol. It was so much cleaner feeling than the tincture extract. Within the first hour I felt slightly uplifted and noticed myself randomly smiling on the way to my next destination. It didn't really numb my mouth at all though (only a slight tingle), which is part of what I enjoyed about the only Kava I've had experience with yet. After reaching my destination I noticed slight irritability (which is normal for me from time to time). On the drive home I did feel kind of relaxed and calm though. Overall, I know this is weak Kava from what I've read here but I am grateful that there is at least a couple people locally that carry it. I plan on giving the root powder the guy at the initial store I went to sells a shot when he gets some in, but I'm not expecting it to be high quality in terms of potency. Just wanted to share that with you all... you guys have a great rest of the week. :)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Most random nameless kava supply always comes from Fiji and is often, but not always, of questionable quality. Not necessarily weak, but quite possibly adulterated. It might be legit though, I'd get some and send a sample to @Deleted User , to see what's really goin' on with it. Making your own root mix will surpass your junk tincture and weak coffee shop brews.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Agreed.
I've found kava in 4 local stores. 3 were unbranded and questionable in quality and adulteration. 4th was from @KavaBoy Hawaii ! The unlabeled ones were only marked Waka or Lawena. All my suspicious finds were 20-25$ a lb though. I tried them all multiple times with decent effects but nothing memorable.

blindy107

Kava Lover
What kind of flavor did they add at the shop? I'm always looking for new ideas to mask the taste :)
I feel like cinnamon and citruses work the best for me. I just started to toy with savory vs sweet recently but haven't gotten too far.

Actually I think my fav combo so far was cinnamon and mango nectar.