What's new

Freezer Maka grog

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Hello everybody! I'm learning lots about Kava from use of Kava, study of traditional use of Kava, and from this forum. Thank you guys!

I brewed freezer makas earlier. Washing my hands+strainer+bowl before kneading every batch and only Noble certified Kava are points of personal integrity that I have. I ripped the plastic off the bags and quickly sprayed two large chunks of makas with cold water to wash off the clear ice crystals, leaving only hard, dark-brown Kava conglomerate.

I looked deeply into a reflection of my soul, being the only Kava drinker in the house, perhaps the only one in town. A dark color, perhaps indicative of all the Waka I've drank; yet some notes, textures, and chunks of all varieties, that I vaguely remember from Vanatu Kava and other blends I enjoyed.

I thawed these in 1.5L water, and reached a hot steamy temperature (75C) to kill potential germs. I let it soak and cleaned my strainer bag. Everything went into the strainer bag. Squeezed for 10 minutes. Soaked, squeezed dry, threw makas out window. Heated each cup back to germ-killing temp before serving [to myself].

The taste was there. I'll certainly be more appreciative of fresh root from these kinds of experiences. @Krunkie McKrunkface - How are you doing these days? Finding your posts is inspiring enough that I'll just reach out to you here

Bula!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hello everybody! I'm learning lots about Kava from use of Kava, study of traditional use of Kava, and from this forum. Thank you guys!

I brewed freezer makas earlier. Washing my hands+strainer+bowl before kneading every batch and only Noble certified Kava are points of personal integrity that I have. I ripped the plastic off the bags and quickly sprayed two large chunks of makas with cold water to wash off the clear ice crystals, leaving only hard, dark-brown Kava conglomerate.

I looked deeply into a reflection of my soul, being the only Kava drinker in the house, perhaps the only one in town. A dark color, perhaps indicative of all the Waka I've drank; yet some notes, textures, and chunks of all varieties, that I vaguely remember from Vanatu Kava and other blends I enjoyed.

I thawed these in 1.5L water, and reached a hot steamy temperature (75C) to kill potential germs. I let it soak and cleaned my strainer bag. Everything went into the strainer bag. Squeezed for 10 minutes. Soaked, squeezed dry, threw makas out window. Heated each cup back to germ-killing temp before serving [to myself].

The taste was there. I'll certainly be more appreciative of fresh root from these kinds of experiences. @Krunkie McKrunkface - How are you doing these days? Finding your posts is inspiring enough that I'll just reach out to you here

Bula!
I'm fine, thanks. Yesterday I drank a blend of Leka Hina and Squanch, so I am more than fine, I guess. Hope you enjoyed your mongrel grog. It's a different flavour than fresh grog, more flowery, sweeter.