What's new

Freezing makas, then thawing, making more kava, then re-freezing

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Just curious if that process depreciates the kava at all ?
Making a batch, then freezing the makas, then thawing the makas and making another batch with it - is it then ok to freeze the next batch of kava ?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I would strongly advise against ever refreezing makas once it has been frozen and thawed one time. You could, however, make grog from it and then freeze that. But again, once thawed, you could not refreeze that grog. Just drink it or throw it away.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I would strongly advise against ever refreezing makas once it has been frozen and thawed one time. You could, however, make grog from it and then freeze that. But again, once thawed, you could not refreeze that grog. Just drink it or throw it away.
Thank you for the suggestions.
If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious what types of consequences might occur, if a person does drink the grog you advised against, in the bold ?
Grog that came from makas that were previous frozen, thawed, re-prepped, re-frozen, and drank from.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Wait . . . Did I just read that you, krunkiemckrunkfCe, recommend throwing out grog?!?!?!? Shocking!

But seriously I agree. I would think there would be something a bit icky about repeated freeze- thaw cycles.

Carthoris

If it is OK to freeze it once, I doubt it would do anything horrible to it a second time. People feel the same way about meat and the like and it is generally unfounded. People do it with meat all the time because they don't realize things like sausage are very rarely made and shipped fresh(You've never had a Johnsonville, Premio, Jimmy Dean, ect sausage that hasn't been prefrozen because that is how they ship them, yet people refreeze them all the time.) It would be safe in any case. I've kept a rather large one in a zip lock in the fridge and used it repeatedly over a week. If it doesn't mold, it shouldn't be an issue. If it ferments.. well, who cares, it won't be much and it might even help the extraction process. The bigger it is the easier it is to knead in a large bowl in my experience, and I've used 6-8oz at a time in mine.