What's new

Fresh Hawaiian?!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I broke off 1/2 elbow and thawed it in a bag in a bowl w/ 6 cups hot tap water. Waited 10 minutes then kneaded for 5. Chilled with ice cubes.

Delicious. Like Rahmwanger in taste but fresh, slightly like cucumber. I find it pretty darn heady, but exquisite, whatever it is. I’m guessing not all kavas are suitable for drinking fresh like this? And or not all would be this good? I mean, this is really good.

Oh,next wash 4 c, then 2, then 1. Total yield for a half pound is 13 cups, so 26 for the full pound. Was I happy to pay just under $2 for some 8 oz shells as a rare treat. Heck yeah, full yeah, hell yeah, SAT question.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
does the frozen come ground or do you have to grind can you measure it out in TBS or how
RoH grinds their fresh root and they ship it frozen. Whether they grind then freeze or grind while it's frozen is not for me to guess, but by the time it gets to you, it prepares like fresh kava.

You'll want to weigh this by solid ounces or pounds.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I usually have 5 Tablespoons of medium grind for my session would I need more for fresh
Yes you will need more fresh kava, see my post #59 on the 3rd page of this thread, it will explain everything. It takes 5 pounds of fresh root to make 1 pound of dry root, so 1 pound of fresh root is equal to 1/5th of a pound of dry, so if you are using 5 tablespoons of dry you will need to use 25 tablespoons of fresh. It is basically a 5-1 ratio, 5 pounds wet = 1 pound dry. If you see the picture I added on post #59 there are some great directions on how to make a great kava drink from fresh root. I hope this helps. Aloha.

Chris

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
does the frozen come ground or do you have to grind can you measure it out in TBS or how
My order came perfectly chopped and ground to an excellent consistency, packed flat so you could eaily break into 1/2 or 1/4s or whatever. You don't even really have to thaw it, just stick in in your strainer bag, put that in a bowl of hot water for 10 minutes and start kneading.

You could, of course, thaw it in a bowl and then measure with TBS if you like. I have no idea what the appropriate ratios would be. I figure roughly twice what dry grind is, simply because of the dehydration thing.

Do enough freezing and thawing makas and you see how much simple water makes up the root when it's workable, and why rehydration puts it back to where it should or would be. I shake the living crap out of my AluBalls, and do the Krunky spin a million times, so you'd swear there's no liquid left in there, but there is. When I go to make mongrel grog with say, 3 cups thawed makas and 8 cups water, I always get at least 9 cups of grog out of it, and I still have 3 cups makas to go into the next wash. So where does that extra cup+ of grog come from? It's in those makas.

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
I ordered ROH again becasue it was fun but now this time its been 11 days. They sent no messages but if I look at my order, it says awaiting tracking number. Due to the no communication and 11 days with no pickup I wont be ordering anything form them again. It takes extra time and they I think wed shipment. Apparently that means 2 Wednesdays. Pretty terrible service.

Moondo57

Kava Curious
I broke off 1/2 elbow and thawed it in a bag in a bowl w/ 6 cups hot tap water. Waited 10 minutes then kneaded for 5. Chilled with ice cubes.

Delicious. Like Rahmwanger in taste but fresh, slightly like cucumber. I find it pretty darn heady, but exquisite, whatever it is. I’m guessing not all kavas are suitable for drinking fresh like this? And or not all would be this good? I mean, this is really good.

Oh,next wash 4 c, then 2, then 1. Total yield for a half pound is 13 cups, so 26 for the full pound. Was I happy to pay just under $2 for some 8 oz shells as a rare treat. Heck yeah, full yeah, hell yeah, SAT question.
Did you try chewing it or eating it? I am all about getting the best bang for my buck and if you are able to just eat/chew this and it not mess up your stomach the same as the dried root then I'm totally down!
How does the nene compare to the hanakapi?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Interested in this as well! I have heard hanakapi is more heavy and has much more of a body feel where the nene is more heady but anxious to hear those who have tried both!

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
Refunded 14 days later. Not one contact or notification of anything. I run a online business for the last 12 years. 20k+ packages. Never once have I let people hang so long. This my 4th order from ROH, my smallest as well. They obviously dont need the business or thyere in over their heads.

$78 for a pound of kava is a lot. Its a niche that noone else does and I see why. I will still say that the nene was very good. Its a shame as I would have been ordering More. Was already looking at the Hanakapi. Dont know if I ever will order there again. Stick with what works.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Refunded 14 days later. Not one contact or notification of anything. I run a online business for the last 12 years. 20k+ packages. Never once have I let people hang so long. This my 4th order from ROH, my smallest as well. They obviously dont need the business or thyere in over their heads.

$78 for a pound of kava is a lot. Its a niche that noone else does and I see why. I will still say that the nene was very good. Its a shame as I would have been ordering More. Was already looking at the Hanakapi. Dont know if I ever will order there again. Stick with what works.
It's one thing for a business to just be bad, but my dealings with Root of Happiness have been good. Just in November, I ordered some fresh-ground root and it took a week and that was it. I even sent an e-mail regarding my order and they got back to me within a reasonable amount of time (less than 24 hours). Something between then and now, there must've been a change and now I'm hearing more stories such as this where people aren't getting any rumor regarding their orders and no tracking, all the red flags when it comes to ordering online.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I placed my order on Feb. 14, the label was created on the 20th and the product has yet to be shipped. If nothing is done with the product by this Wednesday I’ll be asking for a refund. Trying to stay positive considering this is a fresh product.

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
I hate to write this but, Ive delt with some weird companies and I cant tell. Ive only ordered 3 times from ROH. Maybe 4. Consumers need to know as perhaps someone cant purchase pounds at a time and relies on it for their well being. Its on the person to think ahead but it can suck to run out when youve given yourself plenty of time. and maybe its just the fresh?

I used to take cbd and a company that is really big now took money for about 6 weeks and made excuses and then stopped replying. There was a reddit sub where tons of people said they needed it for this and that and didnt have money to buy more. It seemed like they were using it to order or set their book good. Not at all saying anything like that but, with zero communication, who knows. Its ok for people to get in over their heads due to demand. You post an update or send customers and "hey, sorry, this is whats up" Most will be fine.

Obviously I wanted it so Ill be a little bit of a baby but.... Maybe its employees?

It's one thing for a business to just be bad, but my dealings with Root of Happiness have been good. Just in November, I ordered some fresh-ground root and it took a week and that was it. I even sent an e-mail regarding my order and they got back to me within a reasonable amount of time (less than 24 hours). Something between then and now, there must've been a change and now I'm hearing more stories such as this where people aren't getting any rumor regarding their orders and no tracking, all the red flags when it comes to ordering online.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I placed my order on Feb. 14, the label was created on the 20th and the product has yet to be shipped. If nothing is done with the product by this Wednesday I’ll be asking for a refund. Trying to stay positive considering this is a fresh product.
So strange. They have a great and unique product, but lack the ability to get it to the customer in a timely manner. There has to be more to this than we, as onlookers, can understand. I just don't think they would do this to customers intentionally. That wouldn't make sense, and ROH is usually sensible... It's just weird.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
So strange. They have a great and unique product, but lack the ability to get it to the customer in a timely manner. There has to be more to this than we, as onlookers, can understand. I just don't think they would do this to customer's intentionally. That wouldn't make sense, and ROH is usually sensible... It's just weird.
I agree completely. My limited experience with ROH has been fine up to this point. I just have to assume as you mentioned that there is more going on behind the scenes specifically in regards to the fresh Kava.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Tyler is a friendly associate of mine and we've talked a little about this. Pretty sure they're just getting a shit ton of orders now. If 10% of 10 orders take longer than they should, you might not hear anything. 10% of 100 orders and you hear more about it. They're learning how to ship a new product. There are kinks to work out.

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
Ive been understanding of that. 14 days with no generic email to those "affected" is not good. I'm saying this as someone who ships and enormous amount of packages daily. Granted, they are not fresh anything. Shit happens and thats ok. You just let people know whats up. I screw up and take care of it or it just piles up. It can take a couple minutes. My expectations of customer service may be too high?

The product was good but, I just didnt care to keep my loot in the float for that long with no end in sight. A message would have been great. In that amount of time, you start wondering, did my order get lost? Am I getting skipped? What what? Should I just sit on my hands?

Tyler is a friendly associate of mine and we've talked a little about this. Pretty sure they're just getting a shit ton of orders now. If 10% of 10 orders take longer than they should, you might not hear anything. 10% of 100 orders and you hear more about it. They're learning how to ship a new product. There are kinks to work out.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Just an update for those who it may concern, my order is now shown as shipped. It is expected to arrive on Wednesday. Just a suggestion to those who order the fresh to check the tracking number often. Did not receive a notification for the shipment, just happened to see it this morning when checking tracking number.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Well I received my package today and made up a batch. My lord, I’m not sure how I’m ever gonna want to go back to medium grind. The taste is genuinely delicious, and the effects are extraordinary. Gonna have to start planning a trip to Hawaii or the South Pacific.

The package definitely was not frozen or even partially frozen upon arrival but was cool. Not too concerned at this time but not sure how it would fair in summer weather. Not sure that I care much anymore about delayed shipping, it’s completely worth it. Only thing I could possibly nitpick here was the product that was delivered was Nene when the site said Hanakapi'ai but I don’t care much either way. Just thought others may want to know.