What's new

Friction welding plastic to repair Aluball screens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
The residue is likely mostly water insoluble kavalactones. You could try soaking in alcohol (Everclear or rubbing alcohol...obviously rinse very thoroughly with water after to remove all alcohol before you use it-- I have had some success cleaning stained straining bags this way). You could also try soaking in vegetable oil, followed by soapy water.. Another thing you could try is a cleaner containing d-limonene (stuff like "CitraSolv" or "Orange Oil", etc..) which ought to be able to dissolve that stuff...
Thanks Verticity! I'll try those. :)

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
The residue is likely mostly water insoluble kavalactones. You could try soaking in alcohol (Everclear or rubbing alcohol...obviously rinse very thoroughly with water after to remove all alcohol before you use it-- I have had some success cleaning stained straining bags this way). You could also try soaking in vegetable oil, followed by soapy water.. Another thing you could try is a cleaner containing d-limonene (stuff like "CitraSolv" or "Orange Oil", etc..) which ought to be able to dissolve that stuff...
Good info, I'll try those. Thanks!

schatz

itchin for kava
Here is the originall Aluball that I got in March of 2017. It survived 2-3 washes a day for 7 months and eventually the screens were so clogged with residue that I bought new balls. I don't drink as much kava lately so I have 2 older balls that are maybe 6 months old but the screens still pass water through them adequately, and a couple of newer ones that are probably about 4 months old and still work well. I'm trying to find something I can soak them in to remove the residue so I can get more life out of them but haven't found anything yet. I've scrubbed with vinegar, baking soda, and dish soap using a toothbrush and it helped but they still don't clear up like they need to. Maybe a stiffer brush? Other cleaning materials that might work? I'm not sure what the residue is made of so I don't know how best to approach it. I'm just taking shots in the dark at stuff that might work to clean it. I'm at 3 bottles and 5 balls and love my little collection. ::tanoafull::::happyshell::

View attachment 9055 View attachment 9057
Or you might try running them through an ultrasonic cleaner, it seems to work on my balls.

schatz

itchin for kava
Thanks! Where can I get one?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
I got mine from Amazon a few years ago for e cig hardware, I cant find the link for it. Harbor freight sells one like Kastom mentioned, but the one I got off Amazon was little more heavy duty. but the one from harbor freight would work well enough for this purpose I would think.

BillyBob

What ifyou wrapped your balls in a strainer bag and then shook it that way. that way the bag would hold the broken mesh on and you could still shake hard. this probably wouldnt work but I will end up trying it before i buy a new one im sure. mine is starting to tear at the seeams

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
What ifyou wrapped your balls in a strainer bag and then shook it that way. that way the bag would hold the broken mesh on and you could still shake hard. this probably wouldnt work but I will end up trying it before i buy a new one im sure. mine is starting to tear at the seeams
After trying friction welded plastic, I have since changed to repairing with a dab of instant cyanoacrylate followed with a dusting of baking soda to kick the glue.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I nominate YOU to test this. For Science! FTW!

BillyBob

I nominate YOU to test this. For Science! FTW!
so i did test it. it worked ok, but with the somewhat stable state of my broken mesh alu ball, the better choice was to use the alu ball normally and the strain out the small amount of large particles with the bag. Now!, I found a mech bag thats made out of some type of plastic or polymer that came with some Kava that I ordered on amazon and it is working great, I think I have been converted from an Alu Ballist into a traditional strainer baggist. the bag is made out of a strong material and so I can really go to town when squeezing and twisting all the kavalactones out of it. so far its showing no signs of disrepair. ...To top it all off, I just went to the local Kava bar and they had a bag of Pouni Ono. This is one that Ive never tried but have heard great things about. As you can tell by my rambling, it is working quite nicely. Im starting to think that they get their Kava from KWK. is there anyway to be a detective and determine where theyare getting thier Kava from?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
is there anyway to be a detective and determine where they are getting thier Kava from?
You could ask them? I love Pouni Ono, too, good grog.

I don't blame you on the bag thing. I have a bag from Kavafied which is excellent, very sturdy, makes a clean clean grog.

What I ended up doing is to enjoy both. I do two washes with my AluBalls, then put the makas in the freezer. When about 3 cups of wet makas has accumulated, I thaw it and do several more washes using a strainer bag and kneading.

Status
Not open for further replies.