Change background image

Friction welding plastic to repair Aluball screens...

Discussion in 'Kavafied' started by kastom_lif, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Blue Roads

Blue Roads Kava Enthusiast

Thanks Verticity! I'll try those. :)

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
  2. Blue Roads

Thanks Intrepidus. :)

3. Blue Roads

Good info, I'll try those. Thanks!
  4. schatz

schatz itchin for kava

Or you might try running them through an ultrasonic cleaner, it seems to work on my balls.
    Blue Roads likes this.
  5. Blue Roads

Thanks! Where can I get one?

6. kastom_lif

kastom_lif Kava Enthusiast

Harbor Feight has ultrasonic cleaners. Or look online.
  7. schatz

schatz itchin for kava

I got mine from Amazon a few years ago for e cig hardware, I cant find the link for it. Harbor freight sells one like Kastom mentioned, but the one I got off Amazon was little more heavy duty. but the one from harbor freight would work well enough for this purpose I would think.
  8. BillyBob

BillyBob New Member

What ifyou wrapped your balls in a strainer bag and then shook it that way. that way the bag would hold the broken mesh on and you could still shake hard. this probably wouldnt work but I will end up trying it before i buy a new one im sure. mine is starting to tear at the seeams
  9. kastom_lif

kastom_lif Kava Enthusiast

After trying friction welded plastic, I have since changed to repairing with a dab of instant cyanoacrylate followed with a dusting of baking soda to kick the glue.
  10. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

I nominate YOU to test this. For Science! FTW!
  11. BillyBob

BillyBob New Member

so i did test it. it worked ok, but with the somewhat stable state of my broken mesh alu ball, the better choice was to use the alu ball normally and the strain out the small amount of large particles with the bag. Now!, I found a mech bag thats made out of some type of plastic or polymer that came with some Kava that I ordered on amazon and it is working great, I think I have been converted from an Alu Ballist into a traditional strainer baggist. the bag is made out of a strong material and so I can really go to town when squeezing and twisting all the kavalactones out of it. so far its showing no signs of disrepair. ...To top it all off, I just went to the local Kava bar and they had a bag of Pouni Ono. This is one that Ive never tried but have heard great things about. As you can tell by my rambling, it is working quite nicely. Im starting to think that they get their Kava from KWK. is there anyway to be a detective and determine where theyare getting thier Kava from?
  12. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

You could ask them? I love Pouni Ono, too, good grog.

I don't blame you on the bag thing. I have a bag from Kavafied which is excellent, very sturdy, makes a clean clean grog.

What I ended up doing is to enjoy both. I do two washes with my AluBalls, then put the makas in the freezer. When about 3 cups of wet makas has accumulated, I thaw it and do several more washes using a strainer bag and kneading.
    GussWest likes this.