What's new

I Love Kava Friday Friday has arrived.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
My first weekend at home in Laos since January, after just getting back from vanuatu. Missing the easy 5pm stroll to the nakamal, be hemia nao, yumi blo ovasi gat drae wan nomo.

It's always a bit of a worry going through Customs in SE Asian airports with a suitcase full of vacuum packed kilo bricks of brown powder, but it worked out OK again, and even had the bonus "welcome home" surprise of 4lbs of KWK Borogu waiting, that had arrived back in march.
Good weekend all..

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
My first weekend at home in Laos since January, after just getting back from vanuatu. Missing the easy 5pm stroll to the nakamal, be hemia nao, yumi blo ovasi gat drae wan nomo.

It's always a bit of a worry going through Customs in SE Asian airports with a suitcase full of vacuum packed kilo bricks of brown powder, but it worked out OK again, and even had the bonus "welcome home" surprise of 4lbs of KWK Borogu waiting, that had arrived back in march.
Good weekend all..

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk
I would go klin out of my mind. Looks nice.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
:) So many kavalactons are dancing in my head at the moment! They dance to the Kava song in my ears (the ringing!) I dare not stand least they tell me to sit again!

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Prickly pears are in season! @RjEmpire and I have been experimenting with making fruit roll ups. We didn't strain the seeds the first time, so planning on doing another batch here soon, followed by a kava circle of course. New bag of Squanch just came in today!

@kastom_lif , trade ya some prickly pear leather for some of those garden chilies!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
After a very mild week of Tongan kava and lawena, I scraped out the bottom of several bags last night and ended up with a nice 8Tbsp batch of Melo, Ambae, Dua Waka, Wakacon, Mystery Waka...quite enjoyable. ::KavaChug::
What no pictures!? someone is getting lazy... (or slowly too krunked...)

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Do you know how to end a drought? You spend a bucketload of money on irrigation.

This was a bit of a funny week. We've had no significant rain on the farm for almost three months and have been losing baby kava plants every day. So I spend quite a bit of money buying pvc piping to try and get some water to my baby kava. On the day pipe is being laid, the heavens opened up.

The rain didn't last very long and time will tell how long this drought will last, but anyway.. that was a bit funny.

Bonus pic of baby kava in the ground. Pic taken 19th June just before it really started to dry up:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Do you know how to end a drought? You spend a bucketload of money on irrigation.

This was a bit of a funny week. We've had no significant rain on the farm for almost three months and have been losing baby kava plants every day. So I spend quite a bit of money buying pvc piping to try and get some water to my baby kava. On the day pipe is being laid, the heavens opened up.

The rain didn't last very long and time will tell how long this drought will last, but anyway.. that was a bit funny.

Bonus pic of baby kava in the ground. Pic taken 19th June just before it really started to dry up:
How many plants are you starting with and what strains?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

Walk around with an umbrella? Or cut hay? I usually pray for rain during droughts and try perfect my motives for wanting the rain.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
How many plants are you starting with and what strains?
This is a tiny little farm, only a couple of hundred plants... and right now we don't want to grow much bigger than that. At this stage it's more of a hobby farm than a serious commercial project (I know of farmers with 20, 30, 60 thousand kava plants in the ground).

I don't live on the farm (I'm on a different island) and my wife would have to give up her job for us to move there, so for now, I'm relying on my uncle (my farming partner) to take care of the kava with me only spending one week per month there. He's 75 and doesn't quite have the energy he used to so we're just taking it easy and growing what just as much as we can handle.

Pic of my uncle in one of his kava patches:

We only have six cultivars (IIRC Loa Kasa Balavu, Loa Kasa Leka, Yalu, Damu, Vula Kasa Leka, Matakaro Loa), though I have access to four more and will plant them when the next wet season arrives in November.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Someday... almost certainly!
But not for a few years. Unfortunately it's not worth the effort to do anything like that unless one really goes all the way and does it on a commercial scale. I wish I could move to Hawaii and do it from there... all the same effort in growing the kava, with none of the hassles of exporting it and dealing with foreign trade and logistics.