What's new

I Love Kava Friday Friday Thread: Freedom Friday!

verticity

I'm interested in things
Wasn't this a premise of a late 70's early 80's movie. Also the anime Vandread had a related theme to this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandread
Another antecedent was the book The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. The protagonist goes to fight a war on a distant star system. Due to relativistic effects, hundreds of years pass between his return visits to Earth. At one point on Earth it has become the norm to be gay (due to overpopulation) and heterosexuals are a despised minority.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
Another antecedent was the book The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. The protagonist goes to fight a war on a distant star system. Due to relativistic effects, hundreds of years pass between his return visits to Earth. At one point on Earth it has become the norm to be gay (due to overpopulation) and heterosexuals are a despised minority.
I could never totally figure that book out, it was a little strange.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I could never totally figure that book out, it was a little strange.
Very strange, but I thought it was great. The author was a Vietnam veteran, so he was intimately familiar with what it is like to be in a war... plus of course the science fiction aspect adds weirdness, but I wouldn't really call it an anti-war book, just more like an examination of the effect that a prolonged war can have on an individual..

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I agree. I know a lot of it felt with the sentiment in America regarding the war, but it was before my time. So I think that is my difficulty in grasping the motives with some of the over arching themes. It is worth the read though.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Microscopic. Actually it is a pretzel shaped singularity into which my house, neighborhood, and city are collapsing... It's comin' for ya'. (Or should I say you're comin' for it) ;)
I cant even find my pretzel nowadays. I like to blame it on the cold weather.

K

Kava Steve

You have rainbow sidewalks in Seattle? That's pretty cool. Are they permanently rainbow colored, or like rainbows drawn with chalk on them?

Yes, it was a great victory for civil rights when the insulting black sidewalks in southern states were removed, and normal sidewalk-colored sidewalks were put in place

Um, no comment.
Google rainbow sidewalks Seattle it cost the city $66,000 approximately and the mayor indicated he plans to do mire than just sidewalks

K

Kava Steve

Sounds like you're an anti-activist activist. :D
lol definitely not just and observer of facts and a discriminator against idiots :)

sfaf.org/hiv-info/statistics
in 2011 648,458 people died in the US from AIDS
in San Francisco 1 in 4 gay men are living with HIV and 86% of new HIV infections are from gay or bisexual men

in 2011 8,583 people died in the US from murder by firearm

just some proof that guns don't kill people, people kill people. I know this is going to piss some people off but like I said activists groups need to just leave people alone all this bullshit media hype and propaganda designed to infringe on other peoples rights has got to stop

D

Deleted User01

I own guns too but I hate to see them on campus and I hate to see them in bars even more. On the campus thing, I'm worried that some may not be well versed in gun safety. Obviously it's not going to stop the kooks from coming to school with guns because they probably are already doing it.

Oh sorry, I think that I may have gotten off topic here at the "kava forums". :whistle: I meant to say that I think it is ok that people in college do kava to cope with the stress of final exams and to save themselves from binge drinking and alcohol poisoning. :D

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I own guns too but I hate to see them on campus and I hate to see them in bars even more. On the campus thing, I'm worried that some may not be well versed in gun safety. Obviously it's not going to stop the kooks from coming to school with guns because they probably are already doing it.

Oh sorry, I think that I may have gotten off topic here at the "kava forums". :whistle: I meant to say that I think it is ok that people in college do kava to cope with the stress of final exams and to save themselves from binge drinking and alcohol poisoning. :D
That was so well hidden, I almost didn't see it. :)

K

Kava Steve

hahaha wasn't around after my last post on Friday, was gone crabbing for the weekend so was just replying to those who had replied to me.... Speaking of which kava and being out on the salt water with crab pots splashing you is one quick way to dry you out...had to take a coconut oil bath when I got home last night.

K

Kava Steve

and for the record Deleted User01 i agree with you there needs to be some sensible gun legislation on issues which will actually make a difference.... Here in washington they passed legislation that was reported by the media to close background check loopholes but really was loaded with a bunch of crap that made it illegal to bring your kid hunting, or let your licensed gunowner friend shoot your gun without you first transferring ownership to him with an additional background check and then him transferring back to you with yet another background check. Dont do this and now you are a felon who cannot own guns.

;)

meanwhile this sensless legislation has done nothing to stop crime, only to infringe on peoples rights. This is the type of bullshit I speak of... Why can't we make laws that make sense? Because the activists don't care about logical they want to impose their beliefs on everyone else

so sorry if i was off topic on this "Freedom" Friday or was I after reading all 13 pages

Last edited by a moderator: