What's new

Member Soapbox Friggin' waking up at the crack of dawn

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I had this great idea yesterday of waking up at 9-10am this morning (Sunday being the only day I can really do that). It was a pipe dream. I get up for work during the week between 5-6am religiously, I have been doing this for about 2 months now. I went to bed krunked out of my mind (could barely walk or see straight), I easily drank a 1/2 pound of Waka yesterday from, well the crack of dawn till' around 1:30am. One would think I would be inclined to sleep in, but no, as always, alarm clock or no alarm clock today my internal clock decided that 5:45am was a great time to wake up.
I have always been a night owl, but I am starting to think I need to be in bed by 10-11pm max. Ironically I woke up feeling wonderful whereas yesterday when I actually had to wake up early, I felt like a truck ran me over. I have gotten a lot done in the last 2 hours since waking up so it's not all bad. Of course now I had a heaping 1/3 of cup of root, traditional prep, first wash and I am remembering why I wanted to sleep in today. Life is a bitch!
Anyone else go through these shifts in sleep patterns and how do you deal with it?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah I do but not really as intesne as that.
I find the energy though that goes into sleeping is important. If you know you don't have to get to bed and sleep the quality is seemingly increased and you can get less than a day you force yourself stressfully cause you have work tommorw and you got 10 hours of sleep.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I find the energy though that goes into sleeping is important. If you know you don't have to get to bed and sleep the quality is seemingly increased and you can get less than a day you force yourself stressfully cause you have work tommorw and you got 10 hours of sleep.
So what do you mean (maybe it's lack of sleep). Are you saying it's harder to sleep when there is a free day the following day?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
No I was referring to the fact that you said you felt really good despite the only a few hours of sleep you felt better than yesterday when you had to wake up.

I think sleep quality is always better on days off but that means shorter duration

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
No I was referring to the fact that you said you felt really good despite the only a few hours of sleep you felt better than yesterday when you had to wake up.

I think sleep quality is always better on days off but that means shorter duration
Wouldn't you think it would be the other way around though? Shit, when I have no choice but to get out of bed, I am always exhausted (most of the time)

I slept 4 hours last night...I was aiming for 9-10, or at least 7-8 hours, that would have made me happy and I imagine rested.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I do see what you mean (taking a while today) if I know I have to work 10-11 hours, my brain shuts off easier with that in mind, getting old sucks, in that sense that the older adults need less sleep, I just wanted a solid 7-8 hours lol. Add insult to injury, I am afraid of napping and screwing up my sleep tonight when it has to really count.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
Oh yea, this resonates with me.
I've been waking up for work at 6:15 for years, and it only took a couple months for my body to settle in to this schedule. It's kind of weird how your body does it, the amount of times I've gone to bed late/off schedule and still woken up minutes before my alarm is creepy.
I build houses, so I'm on my feet all day and usually warn out and in bed by 10 so I do get a decent 7-8 hrs most nights which seems to be enough. On weekends I seem to need less. I don't usually do as much physical activity as during the week so I'm not as drained by 10 and stay up late. Especially Sunday night, I usually have my worst sleep and feel awful Monday's. Maybe that's when I need to have some sedating kava....I'm like you and always feel awesome the morning after a heavy session, even on less sleep than normal.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Oh yea, this resonates with me.
I've been waking up for work at 6:15 for years, and it only took a couple months for my body to settle in to this schedule. It's kind of weird how your body does it, the amount of times I've gone to bed late/off schedule and still woken up minutes before my alarm is creepy.
I build houses, so I'm on my feet all day and usually warn out and in bed by 10 so I do get a decent 7-8 hrs most nights which seems to be enough. On weekends I seem to need less. I don't usually do as much physical activity as during the week so I'm not as drained by 10 and stay up late. Especially Sunday night, I usually have my worst sleep and feel awful Monday's. Maybe that's when I need to have some sedating kava....I'm like you and always feel awesome the morning after a heavy session, even on less sleep than normal.
I am on my feet all day (mostly) as well lugging shit around. The nap won me over man, I stepped out to run a few errands, I set my alarm for 4pm, screw it I need a nap, I went to Best Buy to return something and I was getting pissy with the staff, usually I just ignore people but when I am tired it shows, lol. I think you nailed it in the head though, I got start hitting the hay by 10pm so I can sleep, more or less 7 hours. What I think I will do tonight (after my nap) is do a heavy kava session or 2, should get me woobly enough to pass out again.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
I am on my feet all day (mostly) as well lugging shit around. The nap won me over man, I stepped out to run a few errands, I set my alarm for 4pm, screw it I need a nap, I went to Best Buy to return something and I was getting pissy with the staff, usually I just ignore people but when I am tired it shows, lol. I think you nailed it in the head though, I got start hitting the hay by 10pm so I can sleep, more or less 7 hours. What I think I will do tonight (after my nap) is do a heavy kava session or 2, should get me woobly enough to pass out again.
I used to nap a lot more than now, but I know what you mean, I can tell I need one when I get super kranky and impatient. The problem for me is the timing. Nap too late and I'm screwed. Other times I won't set an alarm and sleep for over an hour and feel way worse when I wake up than before. I will now only nap if I know I will pass out in the first 5 mins laying down, and sleep for 30 mins max, it seems to be my sweet spot for a good energy boost.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
I had this great idea yesterday of waking up at 9-10am this morning (Sunday being the only day I can really do that). It was a pipe dream. I get up for work during the week between 5-6am religiously, I have been doing this for about 2 months now. I went to bed krunked out of my mind (could barely walk or see straight), I easily drank a 1/2 pound of Waka yesterday from, well the crack of dawn till' around 1:30am. One would think I would be inclined to sleep in, but no, as always, alarm clock or no alarm clock today my internal clock decided that 5:45am was a great time to wake up.
I have always been a night owl, but I am starting to think I need to be in bed by 10-11pm max. Ironically I woke up feeling wonderful whereas yesterday when I actually had to wake up early, I felt like a truck ran me over. I have gotten a lot done in the last 2 hours since waking up so it's not all bad. Of course now I had a heaping 1/3 of cup of root, traditional prep, first wash and I am remembering why I wanted to sleep in today. Life is a bitch!
Anyone else go through these shifts in sleep patterns and how do you deal with it?
http://sleepcalculator.com/
I've been using this as of late and for me it's been a game changer.

D

Deleted User01

It's easy for me. Go to bed at X hour wake up at Y hour and that's 8 hours of sleep. Maybe 8.5 on the weekends. But I got a ton of work to do on the weekends so I don't vary my pattern by more than an hour and it still ends up 8 hours of sleep. And Kava is a big part of me being able to experience 8 hours of deep restful sleep. :sleep: Honestly, on my alcohol days, the sleep is more restless but I have only myself to blame for that.

exit stage left
I have weird sleeping patterns. On vacation or days off, I sometimes get 12 hours of sleep and still feel tired. And other times, I can get 4 or 5 hours of sleep and feel totally rested. I always aim for 8 hours, but I can't always get that. And for some reason, kava doesn't really help with my sleep.
I just try and ride it out. When I'm not sleeping much, I know I'll get tired enough to sleep more eventually.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
I have weird sleeping patterns. On vacation or days off, I sometimes get 12 hours of sleep and still feel tired. And other times, I can get 4 or 5 hours of sleep and feel totally rested. I always aim for 8 hours, but I can't always get that. And for some reason, kava doesn't really help with my sleep.
I just try and ride it out. When I'm not sleeping much, I know I'll get tired enough to sleep more eventually.
Could be you're not waking up between cycles. Try the calculator and let us know.

D

Deleted User01

In reality, I really don't know any young people who have a reasonable sleep cycle. I think once you get married and settled in, you learn that "routine" is a good thing. And your sleep routine gets stabilized. Yeah, it sounds like a boring life with all the "routines". But scientific studies show that people with set routines live longer ... if not boring ... lives.
"Give me boredom and give me life." Java "Patrick Henry" Man.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I read somewhere that some people were "sleep elite" or something like that. They can get 6 or less hours of sleep a night with no adverse effects. I find if I sleep too long I wake up tired, just like I do if I don't sleep enough. 8 hours is a good guideline, but I think everyone has slightly different sleep requirements, especially when it comes to the "optimum range".

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
If you really want to go deep down this rabbit hole I have a lot of methods that I use to shift sleep phases. Basically it involves controlling ones exposure to blue light (which suppresses melatonin production and thus fucks with your sleep if, for example, you watch TV or use the computer up until bedtime). Let me know if you want me to go into detail.

Also make sure your CPAP therapy is working properly, I assume you have been back to make sure your AHI is down?