What's new

From the farm to our cups - Sourcing Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Thanks Mike, well written article. Very interesting we have more Damu in stock, may have to further invest.
Yes, Luckily our farmer in Fiji was sending us some more Vula and I let him know we'd reeeeaaallly like some more Damu and they were able to add more on :) I also told them to plant as much as they can for the future as this has become one of my absolute favorite kavas.

Whats interesting is when planting for export, they typically choose varieties that are more hearty and faster growing such as Loa and Borogu but meeting with them, I can let them know variety is always welcome and encourage them to plant more of these lesser known cultivars.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yes, Luckily our farmer in Fiji was sending us some more Vula and I let him know we'd reeeeaaallly like some more Damu and they were able to add more on :) I also told them to plant as much as they can for the future as this has become one of my absolute favorite kavas.
I'm almost out of Borongoru (probably about 2-3 lbs left) maybe it's time to try a truckload of Damu. How is the grind on this kava?

Also, excellent article Mike!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

Whats interesting is when planting for export, they typically choose varieties that are more hearty and faster growing such as Loa and Borogu but meeting with them, I can let them know variety is always welcome and encourage them to plant more of these lesser known cultivars.
What my wife and I both really really like about Damu is it's an awesome kava for drinking together with someone, as a shared experience. Probably the best kava either of us ever had for that. It makes a weekend special. It's also really good alone, too, of course, but it's best savoured together with someone you like, IMO. And then the dreams are of a category over and above even the usual wonderful kava dreams. The euphoria thing is just icing on the cupcake but it's a nice touch and it's the only kava I ever had where you got euphoria with each successive shell, and not just on the initial shelling. And then it settles into this really delicious mellow that is as good as any other of the best kavas, IMO.

schatz

itchin for kava

Thanks Mike, don't stop growing Borogu, love that strain also. But it's good to hear that feedback is appreciated and maybe influences things. Carry on.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
I'm almost out of Borongoru (probably about 2-3 lbs left) maybe it's time to try a truckload of Damu. How is the grind on this kava?

Also, excellent article Mike!
Grind is the typical Fijian pounded consistency. Pretty fine. What surprised me is how many washes you can get out of it - it seems like you can squeeze goodness out forever!

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Great post Mike. As you alluded to in your article, I think the members would be shocked if they did the Acetone test on some of the kava coming from the big wholesalers. @Edward your kava reviews are already great but showing an acetone test would put you in a class by yourself. And that class would be 1st class. Just sayin ...
What's really disheartening is now all the other things to watch for as well beyond just Tudei. As supply is dwindling in some areas (specifically Tonga) some farmers are getting more "creative". One farmer from Tonga told me they only cut the top 3 nodes off the stalk to replant and mix the rest of the kata (stalks) in with the kava.

One batch of roots I bought from Vanuatu had to be rewashed and out of the original 200 KG we bought, 40 KG was dirt that we washed away!

Paulie-Paul

thekavaroots.com
Kava Vendor
::tanoafull::Oh Man, let me tell you, sourcing great Kava is a tough one. As a vendor, I find that more and more I have to get down there and speak to the farmers in person. Finding good Kava is all about building relationships and shaking hands. Once you get to know Kava growers on a personal level and share a few Shells, that trust helps on all fronts.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
What's really disheartening is now all the other things to watch for as well beyond just Tudei. As supply is dwindling in some areas (specifically Tonga) some farmers are getting more "creative". One farmer from Tonga told me they only cut the top 3 nodes off the stalk to replant and mix the rest of the kata (stalks) in with the kava.

One batch of roots I bought from Vanuatu had to be rewashed and out of the original 200 KG we bought, 40 KG was dirt that we washed away!
Regarding a just harvested plant-- The detail of technique, and overall importance of proper 'awa/kava washing cannot be overemphasized. It can be a nearly all day project for the small farmer.

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
Yes Damu is one of the best bang for your buck kavas that I've ever tried. Typically if I'm using the All u ball I get one really good wash and then the second is okay with most kavas. With this kava I can get to very very good washes out of the ball and then throw it in the bag for traditional or throw it in the blender to get what would typically be a good first wash out of most other cultivars

Status
Not open for further replies.