What's new

Front Page of the Vanuatu Daily Post - The End of Kava Exports?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Thank you, @Tyler. I've been waiting for someone with more knowledge of, and the ability to crunch numbers to put this information out there. This is what I've known, more anecdotally, since this issue was brought forward. Then here we go coming out and saying that normal dosages of tudei are dangerous. That's a problem in itself by disregarding the positive qualities of tudei kava, but even more importantly in that those who would consider and have a vested interest in the banning of kava won't be interested in making a distinction between tudei and noble.

If we are talking about an 11mg/kg mouse dose... then we use the Km equation to estimate a human dosage. 11mg/kg * 3 /37 = .892mg/kg human dose. Consider a 170lb human is 77.2kg. This is a dose of 68.8mg. Thats a very significant amount of FKB that needs to be ingested to arrive at the mouse dose equivalent in this study.

In terms of the amount of FKB in tudei Kava...R. Teschke et al. had found that Palisi, a vanuatu tudei variety contained 3.5mg of Flavokavain per gram of dried material, as opposed to 0.35mg per gram of a Samoan noble variety. Consider for a moment that Flavokavain B is hardly soluble in aqueous Kava extracts. Lets go out on a limb and say that you get 25% of the flavokavain B out of the Tudei root.... you will be getting 3.52mg * 25% = .88mg per gram of material. Assume that the average Kava shell has 1.6g of root per ounce of liquid (approx 200g dry kava per gallon) and you will be getting 1.375mg of Flavokavain B per 4 ounce shell of Kava. Consider that this study is suggesting that a 68.8mg dose is causing an issue after chronic abuse. 68.8 / 1.375 = 50 4 oz shells.

The message is that you shouldn't drink 50 shells of Tudei Kava every day because, well, it MAY cause an issue. I'm not sure thats news to anyone.

While the experts in the field aren't avid supporters of Tudei - None of them say flat out that its dangerous. They simply say that its not DAILY DRINKING Kava. This has somehow been extrapolated into, "Tudei Kavas are dangerous." Tudei kava is recognized as having too much of a medicinal value to be drunk every day as a recreational kava. Although not a daily drinking kava, Tudei has its uses and should be recognized and celebrated for those uses. In my opinion, there is a strange push to demonize this strain when the reality is that its a good medicinal that has 10 times the cancer killing potential of recreational kava.

Lol love you Andrew, I know you want to kill me over our differing viewpoints on this one. Just want to put this into perspective. If I'm wrong on any points, please point them out, this post is at the end of a long day.

Amount of Flavokavain B in water based kava extract:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2992378/

Tyler

Kava Vendor
As far as I know, Tudei is also a sterile variety. The morphism of the flower is entirely different from other kavas. Tudei has a HUGE protruding flower that is much more pronounced than other kavas. However, it is sadly, also sterile.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Isn't tudei a wild kava? Wild kava couldn't possibly survive if sterile.
There are multiple cultivars of kava that would be considered "tudei" and they are not wild. There are wild, naturally propogating cultivars of Piper Wichmanii that produce heavy, long lasting effects that people deem "tudei" but these aren't considered kava varieties that are fit for drinking.

Kovet da Kava

Kava Curious
I'm starting to think that this site has fallen under the spell of a few people using fear tactics to boost the sales of their own products. I might be in the minority here but I simply don't think it is cool for any vendor to be spouting crap about a product that their competitor sells. They should communicate instead of posting on a public forum. Also, I don't really care what the numbers are. Think about where the Kava is grown and the people harvesting it. Are they in a hazmat suit? Are they wearing sterile gloves? You probably don't even want to know. Even Chris from Gourmet, who is very hands on, probably doesn't wash his hands every five seconds. How about we make a rule, no one gets to say shit about any strain of kava or vendor of kava unless they cross their hearts and hope to die that they, themselves, don't ingest any alcohol, any kind of drug, fast food, microwave dinners, sushi, carbonated water, high fructose syrup, etc. The exception would be if someone actually dies with a coroners report stating that kava was the cause. Yeah it's harsh, but until someone actually documents a death from drinking lateral root kava, I don't want to hear it. In fact, despite reports that non lateral root causes liver damage, can someone document a single death? Sorry to rant. Peace.:rolleyes:

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I'm starting to think that this site has fallen under the spell of a few people using fear tactics to boost the sales of their own products. I might be in the minority here but I simply don't think it is cool for any vendor to be spouting crap about a product that their competitor sells. They should communicate instead of posting on a public forum. Also, I don't really care what the numbers are. Think about where the Kava is grown and the people harvesting it. Are they in a hazmat suit? Are they wearing sterile gloves? You probably don't even want to know. Even Chris from Gourmet, who is very hands on, probably doesn't wash his hands every five seconds. How about we make a rule, no one gets to say shit about any strain of kava or vendor of kava unless they cross their hearts and hope to die that they, themselves, don't ingest any alcohol, any kind of drug, fast food, microwave dinners, sushi, carbonated water, high fructose syrup, etc. The exception would be if someone actually dies with a coroners report stating that kava was the cause. Yeah it's harsh, but until someone actually documents a death from drinking lateral root kava, I don't want to hear it. In fact, despite reports that non lateral root causes liver damage, can someone document a single death? Sorry to rant. Peace.:rolleyes:
What? Nobody said lateral root kava is dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
good forums are full of truth seekers, iron sharpens iron, from my experience once forums become strangled with regulation for the sake of keeping egos polished it benefits noone least of all the members.. to point at one area that is less than perfect as an excuse to cease improvement in another is nonsensical.. 2 cents of mine

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

This whole Tudie business is messy. Perhaps Kovet is as frustrated as I am because it is hard to get the facts and who do we know that every got sick? I still like the adage, "Drink the Kava that has been ingested by people for 1000s of years without harm". Even they knew better than to mess with wild Kava, unless it was a medical emergency. There really aren't that many suspect Kavas, you have a few ISAs and a few PNGs. If you like those, do them in moderation and be done with it. Myself, I'm almost reluctant to drink my PNG. Why tempt fate?

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
lol getting to the truth can be a messy business sometimes but one function of "a forum" is this rooting out of truth, hashing it out, keeping oneself in perspective so as not to take personal offense when differing insights are brought forth

Last edited:

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
This whole Tudie business is messy. Perhaps Kovet is as frustrated as I am because it is hard to get the facts and who do we know that every got sick? I still like the adage, "Drink the Kava that has been ingested by people for 1000s of years without harm". Even they knew better than to mess with wild Kava, unless it was a medical emergency. There really aren't that many suspect Kavas, you have a few ISAs and a few PNGs. If you like those, do them in moderation and be done with it. Myself, I'm almost reluctant to drink my PNG. Why tempt fate?
Well, those people there have been drinking it for a long time no problems. And I still don't know why people say its tudei. I didn't even think it was more potent than any other heavy kavas like boroguru. There's also definitely a kavain and DHK aspect to it, otherwise it wouldn't start off so heady.

Consumed entire kilo of it in 4 days, didnt die or even get sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
The subject of Tudie kava is one that will be debated until there is definite proof that it is good or bad. We do know that it is a fact that there are farmers in Vanuatu that plant Tudie kava for sale and they plant Noble kava for personal use. That right there tells us plainly that they prefer to drink Noble kava, for what ever reason. I am sure that there are those that like the Tudie kava in Vanuatu, there are certainly people on this forum that has used it and some like it, I guess it is like a hard drug, some can handle them better than others and some like to do the hard core stuff also for what ever reason. We know that there are people that get unwanted effects and get sick from drinking Isa and there are people that drink Isa and love it. The point I have always tried to get across is that the Noble kava is more generally accepted as the one to drink and use. The Tudie kava is used but not as much, it is something that is certainly for the more experienced kava drinker and it is one that should be used with respect. I know from experience that if you want a strong kava like a tuday kava, you can simply make a stronger kava, add more powder and less water, you will get to the same place. :dead::)
This is what the beginner kava drinker needs to know and I have always given as much information as I can about these 2 kava's so that people can make a informed choice.

Also I am not sure what washing my hands every five min. has to do with a Tudie or Noble kava but to let you know that I do wash my kava with water and H2O2, then I take a lot of steps to ensure that the rest of the processing is of utmost quality, for example, I have a solar kiln that I can control the humidity in, I am able to dry the kava fast and without excessive heat, this ensures a good flavor. If you dry it too fast or too slow the flavor will not be the same and certainly not as good and drying too slow can set you up for rot and mold.

I also do not see any spell that causes people to buy from one certain company, there are new companies that have joined and it is the product that causes one to buy or keep buying. It is quality vendors like the ones we have here on the forums that make a wide range of kava available along with reviews so one can feel safe in ordering a kava from a particular vendor. Any other companies that sells kava is welcome to join the family I am sure, I don't think they would be turned down unless they took peoples $$$$ or something like that.
I do understand the point you are trying to make and I agree, that is why I provided only information so people can understand what the difference is and the most recent studies concerning the Tudie and Noble kava.
Thanks for your post Kovet, it shows yet another view from our many members. Aloh nui loa.

Chris