What's new

Frozen fresh kava

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Yes that one, thanks.
Off topic but the only reason I knew the name was because I fear that truck pulling up. If I see it it means my wife has spent hundreds of dollars on food that we don’t even have room for in the freezer. I have even turned the lights out to pretend I wasn’t home when I seen the truck pull up, didn’t matter he still left the food in insulated bags with a bill and extra charge for the insulated bags. I have since forbid her from ever ordering from Scwans again

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Off topic but the only reason I knew the name was because I fear that truck pulling up. If I see it it means my wife has spent hundreds of dollars on food that we don’t even have room for in the freezer. I have even turned the lights out to pretend I wasn’t home when I seen the truck pull up, didn’t matter he still left the food in insulated bags with a bill and extra charge for the insulated bags. I have since forbid her from ever ordering from Scwans again
Ha! Yeah they are over priced. I used to love their food as a kid, but now with my adult taste buds, it's actually not very tasty! Definitely not worth the cost unless that guy starts bringing kava.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I'll say this carefully to ensure accuracy. I personally believe any danger is overblown. Based on what I'm reading, some bags of ROH's kava are arriving at least partially thawed. This shouldn't be an issue. When I inquired with Tyler a while back how he safely sells fresh frozen kava, he informed me that it requires a sterilization bath. This greatly reduces bacterial levels. Unless the kava is thawed and stays warm for an extended period (like, days) it will be safe to drink.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I'll say this carefully to ensure accuracy. I personally believe any danger is overblown. Based on what I'm reading, some bags of ROH's kava are arriving at least partially thawed. This shouldn't be an issue. When I inquired with Tyler a while back how he safely sells fresh frozen kava, he informed me that it requires a sterilization bath. This greatly reduces bacterial levels. Unless the kava is thawed and stays warm for an extended period (like, days) it will be safe to drink.
I could believe this! I imagine the fresh-picked root, whether it's flash-frozen or thoroughly refrigerated upon harvest and cleaning (we don't want actual dirt in our peppery dirt water, right?) when it ships to RoH, they'll need to clean it before they do anything else with it. At any amount of time between shipping and delivery, anything microbial could be going on. And depending on how quickly they go through fresh root, it'll need to keep on being chilled until they have orders to grind up and ship.

I'm still with @Kapmcrunk on the shrink-wrap idea though.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
He might be using a sterilizer on his equipment, also it would need substantially better packaging to be used in a sterilizing bath, so I'd love if ROH would release some information about that process on their website for our peace of mind. The ziplocks they come in leave much to be desired. It seriously only needs a vacuum seal, and a bit more insulated/frozen packing and he's golden. Tighten up shipment times, and there will be many very happy customers. The kava is good, it just needs a little more attention to detail in shipping.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I'd love if ROH would release some information about that process on their website for our peace of mind.
YES, some transparency would be great. I do wish Tyler or any RoH rep was active here. I should check the official site and see if they keep an active blog or something.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
AFAIK, the kava is harvested in Hawaii cleaned, and immediately shipped frozen whole. Once Tyler gets it it's thawed, dipped in a sterilizing solution, then ground. It's then refrozen and shipped. There's no safety issue unless it thaws, gets warm, and stays that way for multiple days.

PS- I told Tyler he's going to have to give me 10% of sales for the promotion I'm doing for him. ::awesomesmiles::

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
YES, some transparency would be great. I do wish Tyler or any RoH rep was active here. I should check the official site and see if they keep an active blog or something.
I agree, seems the next best thing is to ask Judd which is oddly promoting his competitor, a lot. But I moved this thread to ROH, so if Tyler has a vested interest in this product he is more then welcomed to stop by and clear these things up for all of us.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I agree, seems the next best thing is to ask Judd which is oddly promoting his competitor, a lot. But I moved this thread to ROH, so if Tyler has a vested interest in this product he is more then welcomed to stop by and clear these things up for all of us.
It's not odd. I like the product a lot and I like Tyler. It's a product that I don't offer so I'm comfortable promoting it. If I were selling fresh kava it would be a different story.

Possibly why I'm even more adamant about it is because I'm a very principled person. ROH has been unfairly attacked on this forum in the past to the point Tyler just gave up contributing. He's now doing something cool that doesn't directly interfere with my offerings. So yeah, I'm happy to promote a friend in a place where he hasn't gotten a fair shake.

I don't know everything about how he's doing the fresh thing, but I know the basics. If members have more specific questions I suggest an email. "Transparency" on a public forum isn't normally expected of businesses. Sure, it's nice when it happens, but consider that a bonus.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
It's not odd. I like the product a lot and I like Tyler. It's a product that I don't offer so I'm comfortable promoting it. If I were selling fresh kava it would be a different story.

Possibly why I'm even more adamant about it is because I'm a very principled person. ROH has been unfairly attacked on this forum in the past to the point Tyler just gave up contributing. He's now doing something cool that doesn't directly interfere with my offerings. So yeah, I'm happy to promote a friend in a place where he hasn't gotten a fair shake.

I don't know everything about how he's doing the fresh thing, but I know the basics. If members have more specific questions I suggest an email. "Transparency" on a public forum isn't normally expected of businesses. Sure, it's nice when it happens, but consider that a bonus.
I took it from you that the fresh kava is something you like a lot. I liked it a lot too! It's a very novel idea and I--no, WE want it to succeed. It's sad to hear people are having a poor experience from ROH especially since I had the opposite when I ordered my fresh-ground root.

I had good luck with e-mailing ROH. I don't recall if Tyler himself responded or not off-hand, but I ought to take you up on that advice and e-mail ROH directly with a query.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner

Sounds to me like the delays are most of the problem. Sucks for people that order, but it's not major. They're not stealing people's money or anything.

Also, keep in mind that we rarely hear the positive experiences. There are surely a lot more easy transactions than slow ones but as a species we humans are much quicker to complain when something doesn't work out perfectly than to praise when it does.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Sounds to me like the delays are most of the problem. Sucks for people that order, but it's not major. They're not stealing people's money or anything.

Also, keep in mind that we rarely hear the positive experiences. There are surely a lot more easy transactions than slow ones but as a species we humans are much quicker to complain when something doesn't work out perfectly than to praise when it does.
Agreed, currently delays are the problem. I believe the old phrase "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" applies here.

Being vacuum sealed is a suggestion from me to add to sterility and product safety, but the real issue is shipping.

Judd, I don't have a problem with you promoting this. Even if you were partners with him, suggesting good kavas is never off the table for any of our members here. You included.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

This was the only thing on my bucket list. It really meant a lot to me, to be able to drink actual fresh kava. I was happy to wait 2 weeks and it took far less than that. The root was perfect and I was over the moon with joy. Even the price was immensely affordable. Cost about $2 per large shell for fresh kava. One would have to have a very different set of priorities from me not to see that as the bargain it is, and as the tremendous service and opportunity it is.

That kind of stuff? Because that's what it was and is for me.