What's new

Kava Research Getting really krunked

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I find myself desiring a full on krunking, at least once a week. I pace myself but start strong and maintain it throughout the night, I can easily go through 1/3 -1/2 a pound throughout the session. I am curious what some of you more experienced kava drinkers think (5+ years) and if you have a similar routine or ritual, even if it's less frequently.

For the most part, I drink a lot less with a medicinal mindset.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I almost exclusively stick to my same dosage/routine, whether or not it gives me a ‘full’ kr(_)nk. The previous couple years, I tried to up my dose to 10-12 TBSP pretty often, in hopes that it would give me the full blissed out effect more assuredly...but it rarely did, so that was wasteful and drew out the negatives quicker/easier. I’ve returned to my standard 8-9 Tbsp...only in the evening. Kava in the daytime definitely does not agree with me...so I only get one shot in the evening and more often than not it’s fine but ‘meh’.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I almost exclusively stick to my same dosage/routine, whether or not it gives me a ‘full’ kr(_)nk. The previous couple years, I tried to up my dose to 10-12 TBSP pretty often, in hopes that it would give me the full blissed out effect more assuredly...but it rarely did, so that was wasteful and drew out the negatives quicker/easier. I’ve returned to my standard 8-9 Tbsp...only in the evening. Kava in the daytime definitely does not agree with me...so I only get one shot in the evening and more often than not it’s fine but ‘meh’.
I hear you on kava during the day, for a long time I drank it by noon, sometimes for breakfast. Now it seems like nighttime is a no brainer.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I've kept the same routine pretty much every day. Only at night, for the most part. Once in a while some instant in the late afternoon, then grog later. For a while in the spring, I was using some very high amounts (up to and exceeding 20Tbs in multiple batches/single session) every night but it really wasn't worth it. It seems like, for me, going over 12-14Tbsp a day greatly enhances the side effects and if I'm not getting where I want to be from 12Tbsp, I'm not going to get there with 20 either. In the past, having stronger root, I usually stayed in the 10-12Tbsp range and going higher wasn't really an option since eventually the unstoppable urge to sleep would kick in (or extreme nausea but fortunately it took little effort to sleep through that as well as the rest of the night).

I hear you on kava during the day, for a long time I drank it by noon, sometimes for breakfast. Now it seems like nighttime is a no brainer.
I've tried taking "heady" varieties during the day and it doesn't really work out well. Only occasionally. near the end of a workday where I have nothing important to do after work. During the kavain buzz it's more enjoyable doing something that I don't like to do but that quickly morphs into an "i don't want to do anything but drink kava and chill" type of attitude and whatever I'm doing just feels like a chore that's killing my buzz. Unlike other herbs, chemicals, kava really seems to demand all of your attention for the best experience.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Interesting. I can't imagine to drink kava in the early morning before breakfast.

Last edited: