What's new

Getting to the point where you no longer need kava for anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

___

Kava Curious
So kava helps people with significant anxiety. It's also expensive and people with serious or severe mental health issues tend to be poor. This, ironically, created a lot of anxiety for me. However I've gotten to the point where alternatives are sufficient to deal with my level of anxiety and I thought I would share in case it helps anyone.

What I've done is

(1) This is a big one, but I got put in the hospital for depression. After I released I qualified for a state health insurance program because I was now documented as having serious mental illness in a way I wasn't before. Anti-depressants are known to help people with anxiety, espicially snris, and I've experienced a lot of benefit from my new medication.

It is obviously cheaper than kava when insurance covers it, but even if I had no insurance my high dose medication would cost about 18 dollars a month. I was dismissive of psychiatry after having many bad experiences with them in the past, but now I would encourage people to consider it because the medication can genuinely help if you get the right one. There may also be psychiatrists who have reduced fee or free office visits for low income people.

(2) There are some herbal sources that are shown to help a bit with anxiety, though not like kava does. I bulk purchase of chamomile tea and ashwaghanda online. Ashwaghanda lowers cortisol specifically- so it helps with "stress" more than anxiety- and high dose chamomile (i usually use 1/3-2/3 cup dried flowers, which is quite a lot compared to those little packets) provides anxiety and sleep help. You can also get chamomile extract which is supposed to be less sedating, but I've never used it.

(3) Breath meditation. I've been studying Buddhist meditation but meditation does not have to be Buddhist to help with anxiety (which isn't the point of Buddhist meditation as much as it's a pleasant a side effect). However experienced Buddhist teachers tend to be easy to find in the United States, which makes it a good option even for non-Buddhists. Legitimate Buddhist teachers also will not try to earn a profit and are usually free to study with locally, though they may ask for money if they have expenses like renting a space and generally all of them appreciate donations. Some people do better meditative practices where they move around like Qiqong or yoga practices and these are valid for this purpose as well.

There is scientific documentation that about 30 minutes of meditation per day will make beneficial physical changes in your brain and there is lots of anecdotal evidence that even 15 minutes per day has benefits. It also helps with being a nicer person because you can now be more intentional about what choices you make. It is something everyone can benefit from, even if you don't have spiritual goals that require meditation. There is a saying "Meditate for 15 minutes a day; if you don't have time for that then meditate for an hour," becuase it has that kind of benefit in a person's life.

I will still mention kava to family member's and friends who want to get me a present, but I am no longer going to be a regular drinker. People are also welcome to share alternatives that have worked for them to deal with anxiety, though I'd ask that people leave talking about if kava is "worth it" in other threads. Of course most people here think it's worth it, but some of us prefer alternatives for one reason or another.

___

Kava Curious
Thanks for the interest. I've been on the medication for 3-4 months so far and had no kava for approximately 3 months, so it seems likely that what I'm doing has long term viability. One reason I like SNRIs and similar medications are that they don't feel personality altering. Something like ativan (nevermind antipsychotics, which I've managed to avoid) feels like part of my emotions are simply cut off, which would be upsetting except that emotion is now cut off too. SNRIs mainly stabilize my moods and give me a calmer baseline, but I still get upset, still have my fears and worries, etc. Though I know some people like to keep some ativan in their bag for when they're actively having a panic attack in public or something like that, so it can have it's uses even if it's not taken daily.

I also didn't mention this but I've actually been adding catnip to my tea too. I don't know of any studies- unlike chamomile, which is well documented as helping with anxiety- but it has a reputation of being sedating and that seems to be true for me. The difficulty is finding catnip in larger quantities and that's not marketed towards cats. It tastes similar to mint but more like catnip smells.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I'm really not a fan of drugs that alter serotonin function but I'm glad that it's helping you. Catnip is an interesting herb. I make it into tea sometimes but I also like to cook with it. It tastes really good in a red pasta sauce. If you want to buy it bulk, I think mountainroseherbs.com is going to be about the best source considering price/quality.

___

Kava Curious
I can see why someone would prefer not to take the serotonin medications since you're messing with your brain chemistry and the withdrawal can be nasty. Plus there can be lots of side effects, though I've been lucky and not had any even on a high dose. For me it is really needed for the major depression if I don't want to be dead or in a hospital, so I'm happy to accept the risks for the foreseeable future. For people with less severe issues or with strong anxiety only the trade off may not be worth it.

That's a cool website. I got mine from this store on amazon with no reviews that is now out of stock for catnip, though my first was from the pet store after I realized my cats were too young to be impacted by it, but yours seems way more legit than either of those options. I think I'll use yours next time I need catnip and use the opportunity to pick up some cooking herbs at the same time. I'll be sure to try the pasta sauce thing too, as I've been wondering how it would be in food.
Catnip is specific for anxiety that targets the digestion. Aka that pit in the stomach that makes it hard to eat
That is interesting!

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I’m so glad you found something that works for you! Suffering enough to do a hospital stay is no picnic.

With the catnip and digestion, you may want to consider some fermented foods. I personally prefer kimchi or miso, but there’s tons of options out there. Just another thing to boost your digestion which in turn helps all these other things. Wishing the best for you!

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Well done mate. Out of interedt waht is the name of the med you are now on?
Im on a coupl eof facebook anxiety groups and many are on long term anti depressents i think
Called ssri , some work for anxiety for some, some dont, some worse before better. Each drug and individual
Reaction seems different. Not unlike kava. But as you say can be a lot more expensive on kava.

Having experienced the benefits of kava to my life, instead of trying to go it alone, i wouldn't hesitate to try meds
If i could no longer take it or afford it. I would just have my fingers crossed to get the right one for me first time.

___

Kava Curious
Well done mate. Out of interedt waht is the name of the med you are now on?
Im on a coupl eof facebook anxiety groups and many are on long term anti depressents i think
Called ssri , some work for anxiety for some, some dont, some worse before better. Each drug and individual
Reaction seems different. Not unlike kava. But as you say can be a lot more expensive on kava.

Having experienced the benefits of kava to my life, instead of trying to go it alone, i wouldn't hesitate to try meds
If i could no longer take it or afford it. I would just have my fingers crossed to get the right one for me first time.
The one I take is actually mirtazapine, which is similar to snri but the mechanism is unknown. It's not widely prescribed because it's very sedating (good if you take it at night and have sleep problems, but unnecessary for many) and comes with an unusually high amount of risk factors while not being more effective than ssris for mild to moderate depression. Most people would probably be better off with something like cymbalta, but like you say it's about finding the right one for the individual and a good psychiatrist won't mind trying a few different ones to find what works.

I’m so glad you found something that works for you! Suffering enough to do a hospital stay is no picnic.

With the catnip and digestion, you may want to consider some fermented foods. I personally prefer kimchi or miso, but there’s tons of options out there. Just another thing to boost your digestion which in turn helps all these other things. Wishing the best for you!
in fact I like to make fermented milk. I had been making whole milk yogurt using store bought dannon to culture a single batch of yogurt, but recently I've gotten a scandinavian culture called viili going that's similar to yogurt but cultures at room temperature and can theoretically be used indefinitely without needing a new starter culture each batch. since I don't eat meat at all and rarely eat eggs, I consider the animal fats and proteins a good, low cost addition to my diet in addition to being probiotic and an easy source of calories.

now that I'm not drinking kava, I may eventually try my hand at kombucha once I deplete my coffee stores. I tried it once and liked it, but was put off by the potential for a higher alcohol content if fermented incorrectly. without the kava in my system I feel like I could risk it and if I accidentally made one with a significant amount of alcohol I could just give it to my dad, heh.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the interest. I've been on the medication for 3-4 months so far and had no kava for approximately 3 months, so it seems likely that what I'm doing has long term viability. One reason I like SNRIs and similar medications are that they don't feel personality altering. Something like ativan (nevermind antipsychotics, which I've managed to avoid) feels like part of my emotions are simply cut off, which would be upsetting except that emotion is now cut off too. SNRIs mainly stabilize my moods and give me a calmer baseline, but I still get upset, still have my fears and worries, etc. Though I know some people like to keep some ativan in their bag for when they're actively having a panic attack in public or something like that, so it can have it's uses even if it's not taken daily.

I also didn't mention this but I've actually been adding catnip to my tea too. I don't know of any studies- unlike chamomile, which is well documented as helping with anxiety- but it has a reputation of being sedating and that seems to be true for me. The difficulty is finding catnip in larger quantities and that's not marketed towards cats. It tastes similar to mint but more like catnip smells.
I don't know about where you live; but I find catnip growing in pastures, alleys, parks, along trails, and yards (of people I know). Its super common where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.