What's new

GI issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravahavakava

Kava Curious
A few weeks ago I tried the 'blend and strain' technique for the first time. What followed was a week of diarrhea.

I think that this is down to the fact that I strained through a single layer of nylon stocking, instead of my usual technique (where I twist the stocking and refold several times - resulting in a triple or quadruple layer). So I got much more root in my brew.

My assumption is that root in the brew gives me the runs.

But... I have also used Kava King micronized instant kava, and that gave me no problems.

Is it the size of the particulate, or some other property that creates problems?

I'm tempted to try the rolling pin method with my new batch of fu'u, but I'm worried about the straining - I don't want to go through that week of misery again!

Comments, suggestions, etc?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
How unlucky! Make sure to keep some psyllium husks or some other fiber supplement on hand in case it happens again.

infraredz

BULA!
I would venture to guess based on my own experience, that the amount of particulate is the culprit. The reason instant doesn't is because it's just dehydrated juice (usually). Theoretically with instant, you shouldn't be consuming any particles.

I used two stockings for a while because of dermopathy, and found that my lower GI was much happier (ie. normal stool) as compared to just one stocking like I usually use.

If it really is the particulate, pray to something that you got a coarse grind of Fu'u. Otherwise, you can try to strain it with a plastic bag... but you're definitely going to get a LOT of sediment from Fu'u unless it's significantly coarser now. The times I've drank Fu'u was also some of the worst nausea and diarrhea that I've gotten from kava and it was also the grog that had the most grit in it. Could be a coincidence, but with the above experience, I think not.

I would go back to double or triple stockings if that was working for you, but the only way to strain Fu'u well enough is.... I don't think anyone knows but Judd claims a Fijian strainer works well enough for it.

Last edited:

ravahavakava

Kava Curious
The Kava King instant is different - it actually is just a micronized root, and not a dehydrated water extraction, which is why I wonder about particle size.

My first batch of fu'u last night was fine with my usual technique. We'll see how things go with the rolling pin method!

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
I had the same thing happen when I did the toss and wash. Haven't had it yet from Boroguru/Koniak using a nylon for a strainer.

ravahavakava

Kava Curious
The old batch of fu'u.

I tried the roller pin trick with it, but it was just impossible to filter the sediment out after the fact. I ended up with half a shell the I trusted not to be full of root!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've more or less given up on Fu'u. It's just too fine. I'm mixing in a tbsp of the bag I have with every batch of kava I make, because otherwise the end result is gritty and nauseating.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Rolling pin method, followed by a run through a fijian strainer. I've used finer strainers and the kava just isn't potent enough, so I don't really want to use a finer straining method.

infraredz

BULA!
As an aside, anyone notice what I'll call 'kava stomach' (in reference to the term 'sour stomach')? It sometimes happens to me after I've had some kava and after the food I eat is digested. It leaves me with an odd, almost-nauseating type feeling in my stomach, but in a distinctly kava kinda way :p

I'm starting to get dermopathy again, and I have noticed that for whatever reason, I have seemed to be getting more sediment in my grog than I was (maybe the extra vigorous squeezing/wringing out). The more sediment, I've found to equal a higher incidence of: nausea, *regular* bowel movements and dermopathy. Of course, I also find it to be more potent, but everything comes at a price, and for me, it seems the price I can't accept is the skin issues. Back to a doubled up nylon again :(

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
BTW, its actually less gritty with the rolling pin method in my opinion. All I do is pour it through the strainer, give it one really good squeeze and that's it, I don't knead it. I just tried a batch of 1 tbsp fuu and boroguru with the traditional method and it was as gritty as the 1/2 cup of boroguru and tbsp of fuu that I made a few hours ago with the rolling pin method.

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, the more that you squeeze and knead, the more grit seems to get through in my experience. With the nylon, some of the fine particles get through to the surface where if I was to immerse the stuff again, it would go into the grog. That's part of the reason I started blending.

BTW, re: the rolling pin prep, how much water do you use? I've only been using enough to saturate the root then I have to 'wash out' the bag to get all the root out. Also, do you find the bag gets pretty yellow?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I use one drinking glass of water which is probably around ~2 cups. I do two washes with that amount. I've never really paid attention to the bag, I throw them away after each use (wasteful! but I don't want a stinky kava bag lying around). It wouldn't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.