What's new

Good technique I just learned from Cactus Kava

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
In reading through the Cactus Kava forum, there was a post from Cactus about traditional prep where the powder was shaken out of the bag while the kava was still dry, and then water added to that. As I was filling my Aluball tonight, I noticed a little dust fall out of it so I figured I could do something similar with the ball. I screwed the halves together and put it in the bottle dry, and let it roll back and forth a few times, bumping the ends of the bottle. It knocked out a bunch of dust, and then I did the Aluball prep after that. Seems to have worked well, I feel a noticeably increased effect.

Here is the picture and link to the Cactus thread:
Take a heaping 1/2 cup of root (lately I've been into CK Lawena ) and put it in your strainer. Next, throw the bag of kava into a bowl, and shake it till there isn't much kava dust in the bag. Most of what you drink in kava happens to be these particulates that make their way through your bag anyways, so you're just making the process faster and easier doing it this way. By the way, CK provides free 80 micron nylon strainers with each order.
IMG_20160125_224451.jpg
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-grog-the-cactus-kava-way.6876/

Attachments

Last edited:

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
I love stuff like this, I will definitely give it a shot next weekend.
Bottom line: it can't hurt!
My "hacks" are:
- not overfilling the aluballs (just under 2 tbsp per ball seems to allow best dispersal)
- adding whole milk before drinking
- empty stomach
- 3 minute shake time
I've done a lot of experimenting over the last few years and found the above really enhances the experience.
In dust we trust, Bula!

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I love stuff like this, I will definitely give it a shot next weekend.
Bottom line: it can't hurt!
My "hacks" are:
- not overfilling the aluballs (just under 2 tbsp per ball seems to allow best dispersal)
- adding whole milk before drinking
- empty stomach
- 3 minute shake time
I've done a lot of experimenting over the last few years and found the above really enhances the experience.
In dust we trust, Bula!
I shake for 2 minutes, although I may try the 3 minutes and see how I fare. Empty stomach definitely helps. I've noticed a more potent taste with the dust shaken out of the aluballs first.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
In reading through the Cactus Kava forum, there was a post from Cactus about traditional prep where the powder was shaken out of the back while the kava was still dry, and then water added to that. As I was filling my aluball tonight, I noticed a little dust fall out of it so I figured I could do something similar with the ball. I screwed the halves together and put it in the bottle dry, and let it roll back and forth a few times, bumping the ends of the bottle. It knocked out a bunch of dust, and then I did the aluball prep after that. Seems to have worked well, I feel a noticeably increased effect.

Here is the picture and link to the Cactus thread:
Take a heaping 1/2 cup of root (lately I've been into CK Lawena ) and put it in your strainer. Next, throw the bag of kava into a bowl, and shake it till there isn't much kava dust in the bag. Most of what you drink in kava happens to be these particulates that make their way through your bag anyways, so you're just making the process faster and easier doing it this way. By the way, CK provides free 80 micron nylon strainers with each order.
View attachment 9949
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-grog-the-cactus-kava-way.6876/
Yup, this works great to get a stronger grog. You will find that well dried kava will expand a lot when added to water. This means some particles that dry would make it through the mesh of the bag or the aluball would not when wet. This does however increase the amount of particulate you are drinking which may increase nausea, and more dermo over the long haul.