What's new

Got my GHK Hiwa- Help me do it up right

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
So excited, my GHK Hiwa Medium Grind is here! Going to give it a shot tonight. I have been using Mood and Mind with some "success," but, now that I have this forum, want to be sure I fix this magical root up the way the experts would. I've been doing my Mood and Mind about 4 tbs to about 16-20ish oz of water. Sometimes I'll do it in the VitaMix (hot to the touch water, 30 seconds blend, let it set for 5 minutes or so, 30 second blend, let it set for 5 minutes. One more blend, then strain and drink. Straining is in a silk handkerchief that I squeeze out well.) Sometimes I'll put it dry in the handkercheif, shake out as much fine particles as I can into a bowl, add hot to the touch water and massage it and squeeze it out for 10 minutes or so. I've never added milk or coconut oil... should I? Other tips? If it matters, my biggest issue to date is horrible gas. Meerrrp.
Mahalo in advance!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Either of the methods above will work just fine. Some say the blender method makes a stronger grog but I have not tried it. The strongest method I have done is 6-8TBS in a kavafied strainer bag, add hot to the touch tap water, then I pound it in the bag/water with a long handled scoop to really break down the kava. Finish off by squeezing kneading for a few minutes. It makes a really thick oily soup that is strong....down side is ti takes a while and is warm..so if I am in hurry the aluball or microgrind is there to help me out. Enjoy!

Nirad

Kava Curious
For gas try bean-o until your gut gets used to the fiber, never had luck with gas-x it works differently. Eventually your gut will learn to deal with the extra fiber and you can stop the bean-o

Nirad

Kava Curious
Skip the fats unless they make it taste better to you or you notice a difference too.

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
Thanks, gang-- if I brew it up in advance and store in the fridge, does it lose potency at all? I have guests coming for the weekend and it would be more appropriate to have it ready. They won't be partaking, they are a drinkin' crowd, but I figure nobody wants to watch me pound kava for an extended period of time. :p

As for the gas situation- I am a health nut and eat a lot of fiber usually, but certain fibers really do a number on me-- namely, Kashi Go Lean Crunch (not regular Go Lean, which has the same fiber by gram per serving as the Crunch variety) and, apparently, kava. Grumble. Will try the beano. Was also going to try papaya enzyme.

Zentri

Kava Enthusiast
You can prepare kava and keep it refrigerated for up to 3 days in my opinion.

(Many kava bars do this and I've never heard of anyone having a problem and some people might even say you could go longer.)

Just make extra sure your kava making equipment and your hands are extra clean so as to reduce bacteria because as you're not drinking it immediately they'd have longer time to flourish and this is just a simple thing to ensure a safer drink.

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
I have to say, the brew I made last night... 4 tbs or so in about 2 cups of water, massaged for 10 minutes and drank on an empty stomach over the course of an hour and a half/2 hours or so, made me pretty epically ill and a little bit miserable. Like just headachy, nauseated, etc. Possibly it's because I currently have houseguests with 18 month old twins, and have a one-year-old myself. And a four year old, too. So the setting wasn't right? But, yeah... pretty miserable feeling all last night. Has that ever happened to anyone?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have to say, the brew I made last night... 4 tbs or so in about 2 cups of water, massaged for 10 minutes and drank on an empty stomach over the course of an hour and a half/2 hours or so, made me pretty epically ill and a little bit miserable. Like just headachy, nauseated, etc. Possibly it's because I currently have houseguests with 18 month old twins, and have a one-year-old myself. And a four year old, too. So the setting wasn't right? But, yeah... pretty miserable feeling all last night. Has that ever happened to anyone?
You may benefit from straining more. If I get a bit too much sediment I can get that feeling. Also think about hydration too, that could explain the headache.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
My recommendation is to go slower. On an empty stomcach chug 4oz at a time every 20-30 minutes until you get to a nice spot. You can always have more...

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
My recommendation is to go slower. On an empty stomcach chug 4oz at a time every 20-30 minutes until you get to a nice spot. You can always have more...
I would add that it's worth remembering kava has a delayed effect. If you're feeling good it's intuitive to add more, keep doing more of what you've been doing right? With kava this can tip you over from a perfect evening into a sweat filled nightmare of nausea, sleeplessness, palpitations, depending on how much you overdid it of course. I would try just chugging one big shell one time and then see how it effects you, notice how long it takes the effects to reach a peak and start wearing off, you'll be surprised at just how long one good shell can last and how the effects build and wane. Once you've done this one time you will be able to judge how the kava is treating you on any given night, whether you need more, or less, or maybe to just slow down a bit and wait an extra 15 or 30 mins between shells. This is something I do quite often, I mix quite strong anyway but if my first shell hits me really hard I'll sometimes wait up to 1.5 hours before I add another. If it didn't then I'll add a lot sooner, maybe 30 to 45 mins. It's about learning to judge it right. Unfortunately it's likely that you'll push yourself into nausea a few times before you establish your own boundaries but once you've got it down you'll be fine.

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
Yes, for sure it sounds like one shell and let it chill. Not surprisingly, I've come to kava due to my inability to do the same with alcohol (just let good enough be good enough), but the thing I love about kava is that it's self-limiting. I haven't touched the stuff since Saturday because I was very logically like, "well, that didn't feel great. Let me give it a break and see if I can figure out what I did wrong." Booze, of course, it's like "oh, last night sucked. 8 am? Surely a bloody mary will cure this right up!" For what it's worth, I'm well over my alcohol thing (1 year +), so it's not like I'm just swapping. I'm really thoughtfully looking for something to give me just a little bit of a brain/anxiety release, not at all looking for "an alcohol experience."

I think the issue was that we were rushing to dinner and I did a shell for the road on the way out the door (booze thinking) and I most surely didn't need that shell. Yeah, it was pretty unpleasant... on edge, insomnia, irritable, bloaty feeling.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yes, for sure it sounds like one shell and let it chill. Not surprisingly, I've come to kava due to my inability to do the same with alcohol (just let good enough be good enough), but the thing I love about kava is that it's self-limiting. I haven't touched the stuff since Saturday because I was very logically like, "well, that didn't feel great. Let me give it a break and see if I can figure out what I did wrong." Booze, of course, it's like "oh, last night sucked. 8 am? Surely a bloody mary will cure this right up!" For what it's worth, I'm well over my alcohol thing (1 year +), so it's not like I'm just swapping. I'm really thoughtfully looking for something to give me just a little bit of a brain/anxiety release, not at all looking for "an alcohol experience."

I think the issue was that we were rushing to dinner and I did a shell for the road on the way out the door (booze thinking) and I most surely didn't need that shell. Yeah, it was pretty unpleasant... on edge, insomnia, irritable, bloaty feeling.
I made a straight swap from alcohol to kava and it took me months to get there fully. I was looking for the big hit every night, still am to some degree, but kava is at least an easier thing to live with on a daily basis. Also I can go days without kava and not miss it at all which I could never do with alcohol.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I find that greasy, heavy foods don't go that well with kava. Fast food in general doesn't seem to go well with kava. Along with taking it slower I'd also suggest cutting it in half to 2 tbsp. and see if that helps. If I use 4 tbsp. I'd probably feel a little :dead: to.