What's new

Greetings!

hennabeing

Kava Curious
Greetings,
I'm Jason Alan from Kansas City.
I was just on Big Island all last week for my 3rd visit and frequented this Awa Bar in Kona town called Kanaka Kava https://kanakakava.com/
Before experiencing the Kava Bar, I had only used Kava as a tea from the Yogi Brand. (any thoughts on the commercial tea, is it rubbish?)
It's really great to see all this information packed into this board, I'm here to learn and eventually offer Kava by the shell in my Henna studio as an additional service once I get proficient with a few recipes.
I'd love to know this community's opinions on Kava Bars and if they build up or take away from the spirit/experience of Kava.
If you're interested in seeing my henna work for sheer entertainment, I recommend my public instagram album: instagram.com/jason_alan_henna

Looking forward to learning and meeting you all!

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome! That sounds like a great environment to sell Kava in. Very chill. As long as the Kava is only noble and not being laced with other things then I think Kava bars are a great way to experience Kava. The art in the first picture is my favorite.

hennabeing

Kava Curious
Welcome! That sounds like a great environment to sell Kava in. Very chill. As long as the Kava is only noble and not being laced with other things then I think Kava bars are a great way to experience Kava. The art in the first picture is my favorite.
Thanks for your reply and for looking at my artwork!
In the henna business we have adulterated products that people get from Indian markets that are toxic laced with black hair dye and harmful (aka "black henna"), I have to constantly educate my clients and provide literature.
Using strictly noble Kava reminds me of using strictly natural henna :)

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
I actually had to look up henna when I read your post. Although I have heard of it I didn't know a lot about it. Henna looks fun and I like the idea of it being temporary because you can change up the designs all the time. Can you tell me more about the white designs? That is not henna or is it? It is very pretty.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Welcome aboard!
Yogi is extremely low dose if you ask me.
Communal kava drinking is a pretty traditional part of kava consumption. Some bars do it better than others.

Last edited:

Kimmer

Patently irritable
You do beautiful henna work--I agree it would be a great environment to sell kava.
Do you sell your henna? Mike and I have played with it before (course, that was before the attack of the trifocals...)

hennabeing

Kava Curious
I actually had to look up henna when I read your post. Although I have heard of it I didn't know a lot about it. Henna looks fun and I like the idea of it being temporary because you can change up the designs all the time. Can you tell me more about the white designs? That is not henna or is it? It is very pretty.
oh nice! I don't want to get too off topic being a green newb here but yeah...
Henna is just decorative staining it fades as you exfoliate and grow new skin cells (about 10+ days).
White is a cosmetic grade paint plus adhesive, it doesn't stain but is waterproof and lasts a few days.

Last edited:

hennabeing

Kava Curious
You do beautiful henna work--I agree it would be a great environment to sell kava.
Do you sell your henna? Mike and I have played with it before (course, that was before the attack of the trifocals...)
I do sell henna paste that I make ,but with it being natural henna; the paste demises if not kept frozen until use.
I could PM you a reputable supplier or artist in your area.
Thank you for the compliment!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I wouldn't worry about going off topic here, quite often the tangents are more interesting than the original subject! (and only sometimes end up talking about kava enemas...) .

I can't say for sure as I've never been to a kava bar and have mostly always drunk kava alone but the last thing I need if I'm feeling a little queasy is to have people around.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Greetings,
I'm Jason Alan from Kansas City.
I'm Steve from San Rafael California! Nice to meet you.
I was just on Big Island all last week for my 3rd visit and frequented this Awa Bar in Kona town called Kanaka Kava https://kanakakava.com/
Before experiencing the Kava Bar, I had only used Kava as a tea from the Yogi Brand. (any thoughts on the commercial tea, is it rubbish?)
Yeah, you won't be getting a lot of kava from that tea. Mostly valerian root.

It's really great to see all this information packed into this board, I'm here to learn and eventually offer Kava by the shell in my Henna studio as an additional service once I get proficient with a few recipes.
It's dead easy. Offer the native traditionally prepared drink. It tastes bad. You chug it. Just like the islanders did for literally thousands of years.
I'd love to know this community's opinions on Kava Bars and if they build up or take away from the spirit/experience of Kava.
I love drinking kava at home and relaxing. But I *LOVE* my time at the kava bar. Kava lends itself to socializing---even with socially reluctant people like me---I don't think I ever truly appreciated kava until I started drinking it socially.
If you're interested in seeing my henna work for sheer entertainment, I recommend my public instagram album: instagram.com/jason_alan_henna
Looking forward to learning and meeting you all!
Ask lots of questions! We love questions. There's a ton of info out there, too. Start with the FAQ.

Offering kava at your studio is as simple as buying it, getting a straining bag, making it, and then offering it. Voila. If you have a fridge in your space, chilling it is ALWAYS appreciated.

hennabeing

Kava Curious
I'm Steve from San Rafael California! Nice to meet you.

Yeah, you won't be getting a lot of kava from that tea. Mostly valerian root.

It's dead easy. Offer the native traditionally prepared drink. It tastes bad. You chug it. Just like the islanders did for literally thousands of years.

I love drinking kava at home and relaxing. But I *LOVE* my time at the kava bar. Kava lends itself to socializing---even with socially reluctant people like me---I don't think I ever truly appreciated kava until I started drinking it socially.

Ask lots of questions! We love questions. There's a ton of info out there, too. Start with the FAQ.

Offering kava at your studio is as simple as buying it, getting a straining bag, making it, and then offering it. Voila. If you have a fridge in your space, chilling it is ALWAYS appreciated.
Steve! thanks for that reply. The bar I frequented offered traditional, and one mixed with some juice.
I'm eager to get some and getting used to preparing it. I use strainer bags as a painter and I also strain my henna so I've got a few new ones laying around.
I love how this board has a list of recommended suppliers!

hennabeing

Kava Curious
Hey all,
I just want to give an update on my past week.
I decided to purchase a sample pack from Kalm with Kava, It came with 2X 2oz bottles of concentrate, 1X 4oz bag of Pouni Ono Tongan root and 1X bag of Borongoru Vanuatu root, plus a strainer bag (pretty great sample pack, came with a coupon too!)
Naturally, I used up the concentrate bottles first and shared some with my girlfriend and a coworker.
My thoughts on the concentrate:
The kava is great but that's about it...The flavor was tolerable but I'm not sure why it needs so much colorant, It's neon orange/red and stains. It's Kool-aid equivalent for the most part.
Once it was gone, I had to make some of the root. I chose the Vanuatu root and the traditional method, it worked great!
I didn't consume it right away so I poured it into an ice tray and made cubes.
The next day I put about 4 cubes into my travel mug and took it to work. As it melted, I mixed it with a Bragg's grape/acai flavored apple cider vinegar drink.
It was perfect!

Over the week, I drank some before my weekly Kung FU class (wing chun) and it helped big time with physical relaxation. Not using muscle strength and relying on bone/joint alignment with efficient body mechanics is our goal.
I also drink some before meetings at work and I really just dont get too hung up on anything like I used to...I don't freakin own that place.
It's definitely helping me extend the Aloha from my trip to Hawai'i into my daily grind.

Big thanks to this group and it's resources and member input!

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
How is the apple cider vinegar drink? I used to add the plain Braggs apple cider vinegar to my water, but the taste was too much. I just noticed the apple cider drinks (are they new, it's been awhile) and the ginger one looks good.

hennabeing

Kava Curious
How is the apple cider vinegar drink? I used to add the plain Braggs apple cider vinegar to my water, but the taste was too much. I just noticed the apple cider drinks (are they new, it's been awhile) and the ginger one looks good.
The drinks are really good, they've got a good ratio so the flavor isn't as overwhelming. best thing is that they are low sugar.