What's new

Have you encountered the 'spirit/force' of kava?

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Without highjacking this thread anymore :), its not anything that is controlled. It just happens and no one has gotten rich off it.

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
First of all it's completely normal to "see weird things" when you meditate... if you're not, then you're not doing it right! Second of all... every village, in every culture had a group of 'shamans' who's entire life was dedicated to seeing 'spirit forces' etc. That's including all Anglo-saxon 'tribes' (i.e. the pagans)... it's the catholic church that made all of this 'taboo' & thus why everyone is afraid to talk about it. A few thousand people burned, a couple of coke-head psychiatrists (i.e. Freud) & all the sudden it's a "non-subject"... go figure.

As far as seeing the future.... if I could do that, I wouldn't be on here... I'd be in a penthouse suite in vegas, surrounded by 3-5 of the cities finest 'ladies' in a tony montana hot tub :) Thanks for the hijack & family history btw LoL

verticity

I'm interested in things
No no... my eyes were closed, I was just meditating... I didn't actually see this thing in my living room :)
It was more like a visit from a spiritual force in 'my dream' essentially. One so 'completely different' than anything else I've seen/felt in a dream that I took notice of it.
I'd like to hear from those that live in Hawaii etc. if you have the chance to speak to a tribal leader/shaman etc. Ask them about the spirit/god of kava & see if they'll tell you what it "looks like".
A lot of times people actually don't realize that they are asleep when they really are, especially in the first stage of drifting off to sleep, you may feel like you are awake, but your brain waves show that you are asleep. There is also the phenomenon of "microsleeps"

But it's also possible to just imagine things when you are awake. I'm not trying to dismiss your experience by saying it was a dream or imaginary; such experiences can be quite meaningful and powerful.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Lol I wouldn't be so quick to discredit these experiences. Kava definitley has a spirit . Which means consciousness. Not some crazy hoolahdoolah... spirit is consciousness everything has it. When you ingest a plant or animal you ingest it's consciousness too.. psychedelics tend to be stronger but all have it. I would just meditate more into it. You know yourself better than anyone else. If you felt it wasnt just yoyr consciousness(which dreams and hallucinations are made of) then it was kava. Go with what you feel. That's awesome that you experienced this. I would actually like to hear more about the Hawaiian roots of this myself. :) .
Yes, it's what the islanders call "listening to the kava" I think.
And I see all sorts of weird stuff when I'm awake and in a meditative state; They are not hallucinations, but kind of pre-visual things.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I've had moments when, in the midst of "listening to the kava" i've become much more aware of the energy around me. like, when you walk into a room and just know the comfort level of the people inside or if the room/building itself has a certain feeling to it. Had a bunch of Fijian kava during the course of a wedding/reception i was attending and at one point, I could feel the warm energy of the family and friends pushing out of the doors of the reception room like a bubble that was too big for it's container. it was an interesting observation, FWIW. I've always had crazy dreams been interested in meditating but never really gone for it.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Lol. Sounds like he listened and kava responded . Haha people get way to technical about what is real. Real is consciousness . Nothing happens outside of it. Dreams or reality it doesn't matter. It affects you. YOU. The only thing that is real. So who cares where the inspiration comes from or what form it takes.

-33-

"It is said to have happened in the place of Faa`imata on the island of `Eueiki near the main island of Tongatapu, approximately an hour away from the capital, Nuku`alofa. At the time, the only people residing on the island were a family of three, the father Fevanga, the mother Fefafa, and their daughter Kava, who had to spend most of her time indoors because she had leprosy."

According to this account (found on crownkavallc vendor website)... a female islander had leprosy & was sacrificed to a visiting king as "food".... then buried... & kava planets grew up from her grave.
Would explain why the 'spirit' i saw had a face I could barely recognize as being human & I was focused on it's face. Pretty interesting to find this account, I feel 15% validated now LoL :)

Blippy5

Certified Noble
"It is said to have happened in the place of Faa`imata on the island of `Eueiki near the main island of Tongatapu, approximately an hour away from the capital, Nuku`alofa. At the time, the only people residing on the island were a family of three, the father Fevanga, the mother Fefafa, and their daughter Kava, who had to spend most of her time indoors because she had leprosy."

According to this account (found on crownkavallc vendor website)... a female islander had leprosy & was sacrificed to a visiting king as "food".... then buried... & kava planets grew up from her grave.
Would explain why the 'spirit' i saw had a face I could barely recognize as being human & I was focused on it's face. Pretty interesting to find this account, I feel 15% validated now LoL :)
I've read different stories of it's origin, I images there are many. This one seems unlikely because most of the kava producing islands wouldn't of gotten leprechaun until contact with Europeans? This is speculation on my part.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've read different stories of it's origin, I images there are many. This one seems unlikely because most of the kava producing islands wouldn't of gotten leprechaun until contact with Europeans? This is speculation on my part.
LOL, contact with the Irish, to be specific.

I have seen variations on that myth, which is what it is, obviously not a true historical account, but it is pretty interesting. Maybe the "spirit" of kava is that sacrificed woman.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
I couldn't resist...

But in all seriousness, I don't discount that the plant has some sort of spirit or essence that can be encountered. I would be wary of putting any one "physical" description on it though. Things in that realm tend to be variable, so I would basically say go with your gut, and try not to get too caught up in it. Just take the experience for what it was, and keep your eyes open for any kind of psychological manipulation or trickery... Just my 2 cents...

mjazzguitar

Kava Curious
It was a long time ago, so I'm not sure if any other substances were involved- I maybe smoked- along with kava.
There was a rat in my house and I put a rat trap in the basket where it foraged. It was night and I woke up and there was a human figure dressed in regalia- not native American- more the Pacific Island type, next to my bed and it asked me if I wanted to let it live. I said let it live then I heard the trap snap. I went back to sleep and when I got up in the a.m. the trap had sprung but there was nothing in it.
I used to know the future when I was younger but it has since gone away.

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
There are times where you can also hear talking and sounds just before slipping into sleep and then you awake back up.

When my anxiety is full throttled I get into what was or can be described as a "twilight" stage. It feels like you haven't really been asleep for too long, or at all, and there is this feeling of desperation that there is a huge distance or too much of an amount of something going on around you while you are not totally awake yet. The feeling is a lot to handle. It's as best as I can explain it. I also had this as a kid when I wasn't feeling good and an indication would be an upset stomach. I would go through the above feelings and wake up crying but it didn't feel like I slept at all. Who knows, maybe I had anxiety back then as well.

The mind can produce some very interested effects whether it is through anxiety, being sick with an illness and so forth.

-33-

Thanks for talking about all of your experiences... I'd like to hear more! Have any of you guys ever meditated for long periods of time? When you close your eyes & completely blank out your mind... all kinds of weird images will appear 'in your mind'. When you reach certain levels of meditation you can have an out of body experience, travel the universe as if you're flying through the milky way, all kinds of neat stuff. Think many of you are leaning toward a 'hallucination' theory, v.s. a vivid imagination/meditative state. Close your eyes & imagine you're in a baseball stadium... then look around at all the sights/sounds... you're not hallucinating, our brains are just incredibly powerful machines. Ever had a lucid dream? It's like being in a virtual reality machine that's 100x more powerful than the occulus drift. I didn't see these things whilst "awake & with my eyes open"... it was during a meditative state, when your brain enters a state that is pretty close to rapid eye movement. It's hard to explain to people that have never meditated. The closest thing I can relate it to is..... a sensory deprivation tank. Read below....

A therapeutic session in a sensory deprivation tank typically lasts between an hour to an hour and a half. For the first forty minutes, it is reportedly possible to experience itching in various parts of the body (a phenomenon also reported to be common during the early stages of meditation). The last twenty minutes often end with a transition from beta or alpha brainwaves to theta, which typically occurs briefly before sleep and again at waking. In a float tank, the theta state can last indefinitely without the subject losing consciousness. Many use the extended theta state as a tool for enhanced creativity and problem solving or for super learning. The more often the tank is used the longer the theta period becomes.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Thanks for talking about all of your experiences... I'd like to hear more! Have any of you guys ever meditated for long periods of time? When you close your eyes & completely blank out your mind... all kinds of weird images will appear 'in your mind'. When you reach certain levels of meditation you can have an out of body experience, travel the universe as if you're flying through the milky way, all kinds of neat stuff. Think many of you are leaning toward a 'hallucination' theory, v.s. a vivid imagination/meditative state. Close your eyes & imagine you're in a baseball stadium... then look around at all the sights/sounds... you're not hallucinating, our brains are just incredibly powerful machines. Ever had a lucid dream? It's like being in a virtual reality machine that's 100x more powerful than the occulus drift. I didn't see these things whilst "awake & with my eyes open"... it was during a meditative state, when your brain enters a state that is pretty close to rapid eye movement. It's hard to explain to people that have never meditated. The closest thing I can relate it to is..... a sensory deprivation tank. Read below....

A therapeutic session in a sensory deprivation tank typically lasts between an hour to an hour and a half. For the first forty minutes, it is reportedly possible to experience itching in various parts of the body (a phenomenon also reported to be common during the early stages of meditation). The last twenty minutes often end with a transition from beta or alpha brainwaves to theta, which typically occurs briefly before sleep and again at waking. In a float tank, the theta state can last indefinitely without the subject losing consciousness. Many use the extended theta state as a tool for enhanced creativity and problem solving or for super learning. The more often the tank is used the longer the theta period becomes.
Being in a sensory deprivation tank on kava would likely be a great experience. Except when you had to get out of the tank to pee.