Change background image

Have you gotten a Eye Stye during frequent kava use?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by _byron, Nov 24, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. _byron

_byron Member

I have gotten styes from kava before and am curious if others relate.
    Also anyone know a good treatment they normally go away after a few days but are annoying
    Intrepidus_dux likes this.
  2. Krunʞy

Krunʞy Kava Enthusiast Admin

They are a common part of the dermo process, specially when it gets really bad.
    Zaphod and Intrepidus_dux like this.
  3. Go Krunk Yourself

Go Krunk Yourself Kava Enthusiast

My eye lids got destroyed when I was getting dermo hard. I needed special cream and stuff. Very painful.
    Zaphod and Intrepidus_dux like this.
  4. HeadHodge

HeadHodge Kneads Kava

i think someone said awhile back that using antiseptic wet wipes helped alot.
  5. HeadHodge

HeadHodge Kneads Kava

6. Intrepidus_dux

Intrepidus_dux Kava Enthusiast

I have blepharitis, but I've had it in the past before kava. I'll admit the eye condition certaintly isn't helped when I go overboard on kava, however it doesn't go away without kava it seems. Unrelated maybe? I do know being lazy and rubbing my eyes with my hands is a big mistake. I like this wipe idea! My doctor gave me an ointment that I hate and insists that there are no eye drops that will work. I am not good at listening to my doctor's advice and do not use it as often as I am told to. Stubborness will not help you with eye issues it seems. ;) Have you asked your doctor for assistance with this issue?
  7. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

Anyone with styes primarily use contacts? I got them consistently until I swapped to glasses. I will admit that this was also during my Tudei escapade a number of years ago, but that was rough.
  8. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

I used to get styes back when I used to get dermo. And that went away when I switched to drinking grog with ice through a bombilla. Not sure that's what did it, could be a coincidence and my body had simply adapted to the allergen.

What helped when I was stye-prone was

1. Never rub your eyes, especially when you have just woken up. If there is gunk, go wash it away with warm water and maybe some soap.

2. When a stye appears cut down on consumption for a little. Don't have to stop but dial it back a bit.

3. Put rice in a sock and tie it off and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so. Then gently hold over your eye. Don't push it up your eye socket, just hold it gently next to you closed eyelid. Very soothing. And it helps to liquify any slodgy or hard gunk so your body's clean up crew can process it out.

4. General rule: if you think you are starting to get a stye, even just the tiniest inkling, then you probably are, so start all the above at the very first sign or feeling.

Anyway, that was what worked for me. Hope it might help someone else, or at least it's something to try if nothing else works.
  9. Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist) Kava Enthusiast

Drying out the mucous membranes reduces immune function and increases chances of infection
    Immune function is found primarily in mucous for the upper parts of the body
  10. _byron

_byron Member

I do wear contacts but have never got styes before kava. Anyway the stye already went away but maybe it is time for me to clear up my dermo.
  11. kastom_lif

kastom_lif Kava Enthusiast

I've gotten styes if I forget to stay hydrated. Practice good hygiene and try not to rub your eyes.

12. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

Yes. I had trouble with styes, and I normally wear contacts. The suggestions by @Krunkie McKrunkface are all good ones. I typically stop wearing my contacts, switch to glasses and use warm/hot compress to get it to drain and clear. With the number of full time drinkers that have gotten them I consider it part of the dermo process because it tends to strike at the same time as the dermo hits full peel cycle.
  13. Kavashua

Kavashua Mmmm Kava

Anytime I got a stye I knew I was in for a hell of a dermo experience. It was always the first sign I was in trouble
  14. kavakarma

kavakarma Member

One time I got conjunctivitis (diagnosed pink-eye) and was drinking kava that week.

The pink-eye was caused by poor choices on my part and low immune system at the time, not directly the kava, however, there is a chance that the kava played a small or large role in contracting the pinkeye, so I'd like to mention it for that reason.
  15. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

That is one of the reasons I recommend to all kava drinkers to never rub your eyes again, especially immediately after waking. Get in the habit of gently and frequently washing the area around your eyes with soap and warm water, then dry with a washcloth that you then put in the laundry hamper to be washed in a machine with hot water and detergent. Paranoid? Sure! But also safe and effective.
  16. I personally haven't ever gotten a stye from Kava use but i've heard of several others getting them. I notice after long sessions my eyelids get really dry though, so there's definitely something happening there. It's actually a pretty good sign that I need to up the water intake.
  17. Intrepidus_dux

Intrepidus_dux Kava Enthusiast

This doesn't strike me as paranoid. It's what I've been doing lately and seems to work well!