What's new

Hawaii Lost another 'Awa Advocate

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone. It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of another modern day 'Awa advocate. As some of you might remember not long ago we lost Uncle Jerry Kononui, a few days ago we lost Zack Gibson.
Zack was the owner of the Kava Bar in Kona called Kanaka Kava, he was also a long time 'Awa farmer here in Hawaii, he was also a member of the Hawaii Awa Council since it's beginning. The kava farm and the kava bar will continue on through his Nephew who will take over things.
His Nephew is a very nice guy, he has been to my place and bough 'Awa from me several times now. If you get the chance to come to the Big Island of Hawaii make sure you stop by Kanaka kava bar in Kona.
Here is a picture of Zack Gibson back in the year 2000 when he was helping with a test harvest of kava from the Hawaii Pacific Kava Company. Zack was shaking off the dirt from the kava as it was harvested. Notice the kava on each side of Zack in the picture. Thanks to Ed Johnston for providing the picture.
Aloha nui loa to Zack and his Family.

Chris
Zack Gibson.png

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi everyone. It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of another modern day 'Awa advocate. As some of you might remember not long ago we lost Uncle Jerry Kononui, a few days ago we lost Zack Gibson.
Zack was the owner of the Kava Bar in Kona called Kanaka Kava, he was also a long time 'Awa farmer here in Hawaii, he was also a member of the Hawaii Awa Council since it's beginning. The kava farm and the kava bar will continue on through his Nephew who will take over things.
His Nephew is a very nice guy, he has been to my place and bough 'Awa from me several times now. If you get the chance to come to the Big Island of Hawaii make sure you stop by Kanaka kava bar in Kona.
Here is a picture of Zack Gibson back in the year 2000 when he was helping with a test harvest of kava from the Hawaii Pacific Kava Company. Zack was shaking off the dirt from the kava as it was harvested. Notice the kava on each side of Zack in the picture. Thanks to Ed Johnston for providing the picture.
Aloha nui loa to Zack and his Family.

Chris
View attachment 9664
Thanks so much Chris for this memorial. I have some fond memories of Zack and 'awa hikes we took to the Lu'ukia "Queens' 'Awa Patch" in Waipio and elsewhere.
Perhaps the most information regarding some of his colorful life can be found in the Kava Section of Chris Kilhams' book- Tales from the Medicine Trail.
There are some great stories in that book about 'awa and 'awa people in Hawai'i. Back at the 1997 Mauna Lani International Kava Seminar Zack and Chris Kilham decided to take a trip to some of the remote areas of the Islands of the Republic of Vanuatu. The incredible stories they brought back of small boat trips to remote Valleys and fiefdoms where a specific Kava cultivar could be the property of an esoteric Chief who ran things according to dreams and visions. All centered around kava! That will , likely, be a lost history.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Damn, sorry to hear it. Sucks to be losing these life-long 'awa farmers/advocates. Glad to hear Zacks family will keep it going though.
He was a relatively young guy, do you know the cause of death? Seems like Jerry should have had more years in him too...is this all the result of cardiovascular disease brought on by a life time of plate lunch and fruit punch?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Damn, sorry to hear it. Sucks to be losing these life-long 'awa farmers/advocates. Glad to hear Zacks family will keep it going though.
He was a relatively young guy, do you know the cause of death? Seems like Jerry should have had more years in him too...is this all the result of cardiovascular disease brought on by a life time of plate lunch and fruit punch?
Yes it is sad, it is a great loss. Zack was battling with cancer for a long time, he got better for a while but then things took a turn for the worst.
Aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Thanks so much Chris for this memorial. I have some fond memories of Zack and 'awa hikes we took to the Lu'ukia "Queens' 'Awa Patch" in Waipio and elsewhere.
Perhaps the most information regarding some of his colorful life can be found in the Kava Section of Chris Kilhams' book- Tales from the Medicine Trail.
There are some great stories in that book about 'awa and 'awa people in Hawai'i. Back at the 1997 Mauna Lani International Kava Seminar Zack and Chris Kilham decided to take a trip to some of the remote areas of the Islands of the Republic of Vanuatu. The incredible stories they brought back of small boat trips to remote Valleys and fiefdoms where a specific Kava cultivar could be the property of an esoteric Chief who ran things according to dreams and visions. All centered around kava! That will , likely, be a lost history.
Yes I remember that, I have the book that Chris wrote on kava, he autographed it for me when he was here. That was the time that the Hawaii 'Awa Council paid to have Chris come over and give a talk at one of the International Kava Conference's that we hosted. It was nice talking with Chris about his kava escapades. :)
I also remember visiting the Queens 'Awa patch, sadly it is gone now. Aloha.

Chris

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Yes I remember that, I have the book that Chris wrote on kava, he autographed it for me when he was here. That was the time that the Hawaii 'Awa Council paid to have Chris come over and give a talk at one of the International Kava Conference's that we hosted. It was nice talking with Chris about his kava escapades.
I also remember visiting the Queens 'Awa patch, sadly it is gone now. Aloha.:)

Chris
Association for Hawaiian 'Awa also co-sponsored that one :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This was worth watching and being reminded of Zack-Talk- straight and to the point, maybe blunt.
His Isa commentary is quite good also, while not condemnation just suggesting you'll feel better with a Noble kava/'awa beverage.
Did I hear him say that "isa is the bones of awa, but not awa" or something nearly to that affect? That would speak towards the theory that Isa and non-noble kavas were a stepping stone to today's drinking kavas.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Did I hear him say that "isa is the bones of awa, but not awa" or something nearly to that affect? That would speak towards the theory that Isa and non-noble kavas were a stepping stone to today's drinking kavas.
Yes, that is what I heard also and is very Zack-Talk. If you knew him he always had metaphorical (sp?) talk that he just seemed to come up with at the spur of the moment. And BLUNT also he could be...like the time the Hamakua Ditch irrigation system had been damaged and many farmers could not get water for a time. At an informational meeting in Honoka'a with State Representatives Zack brought in a drought-dead , uprooted very messy 'awa plant and placed it on the conference table before giving his presentation.

Last edited: