What's new

Headaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I am brand new to Kava and just recently received my first powdered kava from Kalm with Kava. I got the Borogu variety and tried it for the first time on Friday when I got it in the mail. First of all, this stuff is NASTY. The taste has almost made me feel like I’m not so sure I am going to be able to stick it out through the reverse tolerance thing because even trying the trick of having a chaser (I had unsweetened vanilla almond milk on hand and used that) and chugging it without breathing through my nose and not breathing through my nose until I’ve chased it, still....OMG GROSS!! I haven’t really felt anything amazing from it yet and I was prepared going into this knowing that it’s possible and I am definitely not one of the lucky ones where they felt their omg moment in their drink. The only thing I think I noticed was feeling a little sleepy a few hours after I had my last drink. Oh and the numbing of my tongue.

The question I have is this...is it possible that the kava drink can cause headaches? It’s really impossible for me to tell if the fact that my migraine that started Friday BEFORE I drank my first preparation of kava just hasn’t gone away yet or if the headache I am currently experiencing is a side effect of the kava. I have chronic migraines so it’s really difficult to say but since I’m still having a headache even after taking my abortive med made me kinda wonder if the kava that I’ve had each night since has just prolonged it.

I take zomig as my abortive med and I’ve read somewhere that it can interact with kava. Does anyone else take Zomig and what have your experiences been if you’ve taken it on a day you’ve also had kava?

Thanks for reading! I just ordered some micronized Boronguru from KwK that I’m excited to try because I really find the whole traditional preparation cumbersome and time consuming. Maybe it will grow on me but I also wanted to try the micronized just to see what the difference is. And I wanted to try the Boronguru so I figured that was the perfect way to do both. I should get that mid week.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Kava doesn't normally cause headaches unless, possibly, the headache is a side effect of dehydration or kava is one of your migraine triggers (not likely). It might be best to stop drinking it until the headache clears up if you're not getting noticeable benefits from the kava.

As far as the taste, an instant kava made from fresh root is much easier to get down. No prep required and easy to dilute or adjust the amount you consume in each "shell". If you need a lot of it to get where you want to be it, it can be a bit expensive though.

Lisa Headrick

KavaMaMa
I know this question is a few weeks old I thought I'd give my experience for future people searching... Although I don't take zomig nor do I have chronic migraines, I have noticed headaches from the very first time I drank kava. The first time I got a mild headache within 20 minutes of the start of the session. It went away after taking some ibuprofen and drinking Gatorade. Since then (about 6 weeks drinking it 6 days a week) I've noticed that I do sometimes (about once a week) I do get a mild headaches when I drink kava. That being said I don't think it's due to the actual kava, I think that it's due to dehydration. Kava is a very strong diuretic (at least for me anyways) and I've noticed it on days when I'm not keeping up on my water consumption throughout the day, so when I come home at night and drink kava, my dehydration is exaggerated. All of this is just my personal experience and may not fit your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.