What's new

HeeellPPP!

KavaJefe

Kava Curious
I'm in dyer need of help in making a decision my friends.

I've been drinking Solomon and Stone but am getting ready to place an order for some Nambawan and want to include something else tasty in my order. I've been dead locked between Borogu, Boroguru and Melo Melo.

So far I've yet to find the perfect Kava for me, but I generally get better results from Tongan varieties if that helps at all. I am looking for something that gives you that happy head rush and lifts the mood greatly, but not too terribly sedating. Although a little sedation never hurt :)

Any suggestions on which way to lean?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
from the sound of it, you'll probably like the Nambawan. Melo melo might be good for you to try, it's a bit different. Normally i'd suggest boroguru but you've already had stone and they're similar.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Out of those three, for the purpose you described, melo melo. Boroguru is my personal fave but it's also definitely more sedating.

KavaJefe

Kava Curious
Hey I appreciate the response folks. Is the Melo Melo pretty strong? Course I know most of that depends on how you brew it, but compared to some others what do ya think? I really love the Fu'u, but sold out :(

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I like melo melo. There are some reviews in the BKH subforum including mine. It's not the strongest pound for pound kava but at the price point it's totally worth buying and I usually throw some in with my usual order of boroguru.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
I'm enjoying some Melo Melo as I type this message and I must say it's definitely one of my favourites. I have two methods for making it. The first is using a two litre Rubbermaid Shaker container. Add about a cup and half of kava per two litres of water and a few drops of canola oil. Shake and let it sit for a couple of hours. I then use a nylon strainer bag and pour the whole contents into a bowl, squeeze the bag, clean the original container, and return the filtered kava back to the shake container to store in the fridge. When I want a drink I simply shake and pour. I like to add a little lemon aid for taste and drink it on the rocks. I sometimes gulp but I enjoy drinking kava in the evenings like coffee in the morning. Melo Melo is great for relaxing and listening to your favourite tunes. Feels like your high in many ways but without all the other weird crap going on. It is stronger than most but in a good way. It does take you a little longer to come around in the morning so I probably wouldn't consume it on week nights if you got to get up and work.

I also prepare a concentrated espresso-like format of Melo Melo which I often consume a couple of teaspoons as a precursor. I make this by mixing 1 cup of kava to 2 cups of water. Shake together and then let it sit for a couple of hours. I then filter like the above preparation and pour the kava mixture into shallow dish where I let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next day, carefully take it out of the fridge trying not to disturb the bottom mixture. I then proceed to pour off the watery top and then scoop the bottom, kava packed, goo into a small pot. Add about two tablespoons of honey and 3 or 4 drops of pure lemon juice and bring the mixture to the point where steam is rolling gently off the top. Stirring all the while. I prefer not to boil because I don't want it to burn or ruin any of the goodness. I then remove it from the heat and pour it into a small container before returning it to the fridge. That's it, a tasty smash that will grab you almost immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KavaJefe

Kava Curious
Very interesting "Smash" recipe SirKavaLot. Sounds like the oatmeal of champions...lol Is that something you normally sample before or after a kava session or just something you take as a quick on occasions when short on time?

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Hi BrokaToe. Melo Melo is pretty strong and is very good at relaxing you when you start a session. The concentrated mix is great for anxiety situations especially if you're feeling very uptight or having a panic attack. It may make you sleepy at first but you can still function if you need to, one of the great benefits of most Kava. If you take Melo Melo at higher doses the effect is almost opposite. I find it stimulating and the euphoric sensations flow nicely. You may feel a little slower the next day if you have a good night. It is for this reason I think this Kava is best for the weekends.

infraredz

BULA!
Melo Melo shouldn't make you feel slower the next day seeing as it's a noble kava suitable for everyday drinking. What sort of amounts are you talking about when you take "high doses" and feel stimulating and euphoric? Just curious because usually the kavain is ever-present even in lower quantities whereas the heavier effects increase with dose.

What kind of amounts are you using when you find that "You may feel a little slower the next day if you have a good night"?

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
In second thought you're probably right infraredz. The tiredness I feel is most likely from lack of sleep. Your right about feeling the effects of the kavain at lower doses but when I drink about 6 cups I find it pretty stimulating. I think that works out to about 12 shells. Does this make sense?

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
I guess I have a high tolerance from years of boozing. Quit drinking about 7 years ago.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I guess I have a high tolerance from years of boozing. Quit drinking about 7 years ago.
I'm a professional boozer with years of experience too (unfortunately). And I'm using Kava to cut down my alcohol use and eventually hope to quit altogether. I applaud you for the 7 years. The most I've ever made it so far, is a year.

I'm pretty new at the practice of consuming Kava. I personally haven't had a problem getting good effects from Kava.
My problem, at the moment, is that the effects I do get don't last a really long time and I have not yet figured the correct way to keep a pleasant effect going for a period of time without either overdoing or underdoing it because I've either taken too much Kava or have not waited a proper time to pass (one way or the other) between my shells. I have all that down to a science with alcohol. :)

So I guess practice makes perfect, but with all the great people here on this forum and the info they provide it's really helping to shorten my learning curve.

Based on my limited experience, I'm thinking that maybe your Kava prep may need tweaking or maybe do what am I'm doing and try experimenting with a lot of different Kava's to understand each one's effects. For me it's like drinking wine, hard liquor, or beer. They all get me buzzed but with way different effects on my mood and diet.

So if you figure this Kava stuff out in a way that works good for you, please share!!

KavaJefe

Kava Curious
I hear ya HeadHodge, keeping the flow going is something I've not figured out either. I can get real krunked for about 10 minutes, then it fades very fast. My downfall is probably my years of opiate use and I'm always searching for something to take its place, although I don't really mean to, that probably an subconscious thing I've got going. But either way maybe I haven't found just the right strain of Kava yet, who knows.:banghead:

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
After I quit drinking I tried many pharmaceuticals, exercise, yoga, and counselling to squelch the beast from within. I never found anything remotely close to Kava. Pot is great but I find I don't need the mind trip anymore. I wouldn't worry about the shell thing. I prefer mine on the rocks. I won't drink it otherwise. I also take sips, sometimes more and sometimes less. It helps gauge it a bit better. I also mix my prepared kava with a little lemon aid or lime to counterattack the bitterness. Mixing it with about an eight of your favourite juice on ice is a good place to start in my opinion.