What's new

Hello Guys

Brewer

Hello Guys I'm a busy guy. I work 60 hours as a wrecker driver and I'm a father of two girls. one a newborn the other is almost two. I became interested in trying kava when I heard the effects are similar to alcohol. While I have been looking for a alternative to alcohol in still love craft beer and used to brew it but now have no time to do so. I recieved my Koniak Kava Powder in the mail yesterday so I took 3 spoonfuls and put it in a nylon straining bag. I was multitasking at the time so I quickly poured warm water over the bag in a bowl. thin set it in the watter with one good kneading of the bag. I came back 10 minutes later and kneaded it some more and rang out what was left in the bag. I gulped it down and I don't think i felt anything but tired but Im always tired anyway. I understand the reverse tolerance thing so im not expecting to feel anything the first dozen times. Do you think my method needs more kneading? I'm thinking I'm going to buy a blender for faster preps

verticity

I'm interested in things
You need to actually continuously knead for 10 minutes or so to get all the good stuff out. You also don't say what size spoonfuls: 3 teaspoons would not be enough, but tablespoons might be depending how much water you use. Lately I have been using 1/3 cup (or approx 6 tablespoons) of kava per 4 cups of hot water, to make 4 1 cup servings. Others use more or less kava or water but that's the ballpark to make a potent drink.

Brewer

Thanks verticity I been using the regular spoon you eat with everyday with a good mound on top. i did the same thing tonight with more kneading and I'm feeling a mild buzz

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
You need to actually continuously knead for 10 minutes or so to get all the good stuff out. You also don't say what size spoonfuls: 3 teaspoons would not be enough, but tablespoons might be depending how much water you use. Lately I have been using 1/3 cup (or approx 6 tablespoons) of kava per 4 cups of hot water, to make 4 1 cup servings. Others use more or less kava or water but that's the ballpark to make a potent drink.
I use 2 heaping Tbsp. to 2 cups of water if it's a strong kava for a night's session. And I do mean heaping. Like basically everything I can put on the spoon without a landslide forming on any side of it.

The most important factor is, as @verticity pointed out, is putting serious pressure on it while it's in the straining bag. You're squeezing the oily/waxy kavalactones out of the their little woody homes, and that requires pressure. I knead for 10-15 minutes with lots of wringing with all my strength to get as much out as I can.

After the elbow grease, you'll have extracted plenty.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Also! Welcome to the Kava Forums, @Brewer!

You've come to the right place, and I think your head is in the right space for experiencing the best that kava has to offer.