What's new

Hello kava lovers...

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I've been scarce around these parts due to a lot of meat-space concerns, but I thought I'd pop in tonight for a number of reasons:

1. I have my latest liver panel.
2. I have a bag of Hanakapi'ai lateral hairs that I broke open and brewed tonight.
3. I miss you all so very much.
4. Tomorrow's my 47th birthday, and I'm in the birthday mode such as it is at 47.

First, the Liver Panel:
ALT = 18 (Alanine Aminotransferase - Normal range 0-36 U/L)​
As you can see, squarely in the middle of the normal range. Not even SLIGHTLY elevated after 9 months of drinking kava nearly every day. Liver damage from kava is fucking bullshit. Here's my historical ALT for comparison. Note what happened when I started taking Niacin (a vitamin you can buy anywhere!) for high cholesterol. Damn near cooked my liver.

As for the Hanakapi'ai, I'm drinking it now and will record a review today or tomorrow, looking forward to plumbing its depths.

And for the birthday, my family has loaded the fridge with a bunch of favorites of mine, which I will enjoy during my kava sessions this weekend. All kava-friendly except the bread:

Sliced Hot Coppacollo (cured italian ham)
Thinly Sliced Prosciutto (cured italian ham)
Sliced medium-sharp provolone (smells like grandpa's sandals)
A whole Boar's Head pepperoni (schwing!)
A whole cured salami secchi
Four pints of various olives including an antipasto olive mix and some pickled artichoke hearts.
Loaf of Italian Bread
Amaretti Cookies (the little ones) for dessert
Licorice Pastiles​

Is that rad or what? I'm going to be having a kava feast halfway through tonight's session, and my nipples explode with delight.

Cheers!

Steve

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Glad to see you back!

Holy hell that sounds amazing. Charcuterie is my favorite food on the planet, besides Mexican...

I told my wife I would take a liver test soon, because she's read all the scary articles on the internet that don't know what they're talking about. I guess it's a good thing...

verticity

I'm interested in things
Niacin is kind of fun because of the flush reaction it causes (no, it's not fun), It's like a temporary sunburn all over your body, but I had no idea it could do that to your liver.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hey, when you turn 47 you get to... do pretty much the same stuff as when you were 46. I think something happens when you turn 50, I'm not sure what. Maybe your prostate explodes or something. I recently turned 48.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Happy birthday Steve! We definitely did miss you. Still do, but we did as well.

D

Deleted User01

@Steve Mariotti , outstanding lab results. When you describe your fridge, I just want to break out into song, "Hey Mambo, Mambo Italiano". Have a very happy Meatday ... I mean birthday. Lord, I'm salivating all over my keyboard. :hungry:

Chris Brown

Kava Curious
I'm interested in the Niacin issue also. I'm current taking 3 grams a day spaced over the course of the day...all instant release flushing type. I read that the timed release is hell on the liver, so I don't do that one. I love my Kava as well, so hopefully the combination of the two won't do me in. My next blood test is in September.....

D

Deleted User01

Honestly, I'm envious of the fact that your friends and relatives know how to select awesome birthday gifts. You ain't gonna put those gifts in the drawer and forget about em'. I continually tell my wife, tell 'em I would love anything that is either food or drink. :hungry: Maybe I'll show my wife your post so she can get my drift. Anyway, Happy Birthday @Steve Mariotti! ::awesomesmiles:: Try not to OD on delicious spicy cured meats. :LOL:

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Just wondering, what dose of niacin were you on? I megadosed it for years and had no liver issues.
I overlplayed Niacin's relative danger (to me) for dramatic effect. Niacin is perfectly safe (and very helpful) for a lot of people. I just happen to have the body chemistry for a massive and dangerous reaction to it. If you're taking Niacin under the instructions and care of a doctor then I'm sure it's perfectly fine. I was, and then we looked at the blood work and stopped.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Happy birthday Steve! :)
I have been wondering why I have not seen many post from you, but glad to see ya back!
Sounds like you had fun with the Hanakapi'ai hair roots, it's an amazing kava for sure...Seems to give you just about every effect kava can give lol...
Your reviews are a great read so looking forward to it...