What's new

Hello! New Member

verticity

I'm interested in things
What an amazing welcome and such great advice- Thank you all :)
I fear neither K@ or Kava will be easy to obtain but I will look into it all and try. Meanwhile I think I am going to have to go cold turkey... If I find it hard I may open up to my Doc and see where that takes me. She is actually open to the idea of alternative ways of dealing with things so I might get lucky... but still so much to learn.

I will take myself over to the Addiction and Recovery forum for the support I need - but thank you all again so much for such a warm welcome :)
I believe you can order K@ online from Holland.

Kava_Joe

Kava Curious
Welcome Honeystar,
I use Kava quite successfully for severe Ostio Arthritis in my lower back. I don't need any opiates to manage the pain. It's given me a new life. I appreciate to courage to come forward about your addiction. Kava can help

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I was addicted to K@ and then used kava to help get off of that.
K@ is addictive but it's really a breeze compared to any prescription opiate.
I would give it a go.
Swing over to Thekratomforum.com
Theyre a bunch that dont care much for kava but they know alot about K@ and are very helpful group.

In regards to kava. it helps the mood balance alot during withdrawls and stops the excessive sweating and nose running when mixed with say black tea for the astringent properties.
It's also great for the insomnia but if it worse comes to worse then benadryl is a life saver for opiate induced insomnia.

Is it possible to go and see an actual herbalist somewhere around you who can assist from a real place ... doctors are nice for surgery and information technology..
but boy do they suck at everything before that...
Hell the job they do best at is to harm you untill you need drugs or surgery.
Really best to seek and talk about alternative health stuff with an actual practicioner or else you get Dr oz.

Reactions: EQ

verticity

I'm interested in things
You be careful with that other thingy. *news paper smacks* :grumpy:

AFAIK kava seems to be more accessible in Europe then it used to be.
Ouch. :notworthy:
I am certainly not recommending that anyone start using kratark just for the heck of it, or for recreation, or any other reason. But in the case of people who are already dependent upon an opiate or opioid, it is a less harmful alternative to help transition off the harder stuff. An overdose of codeine/acetaminophen can literally kill a person (mainly because acetaminophen is toxic to the liver, but very high doses of codeine by itself could also be lethal by suppressing respiration), but a K@ overdose is very unlikely to kill a person (although it does cause severe nausea and vomiting). Of course the long term goal should be to taper off of all opioids.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Ouch. :notworthy:
I am certainly not recommending that anyone start using kratark just for the heck of it, or for recreation, or any other reason. But in the case of people who are already dependent upon an opiate or opioid, it is a less harmful alternative to help transition off the harder stuff. An overdose of codeine/acetaminophen can literally kill a person (mainly because acetaminophen is toxic to the liver, but very high doses of codeine by itself could also be lethal by suppressing respiration), but a K@ overdose is very unlikely to kill a person (although it does cause severe nausea and vomiting). Of course the long term goal should be to taper off of all opioids.
*big loud ki-....awkard internet hair ruffle* ::simplecontentz::

Skylar

Kava Curious
Hi, all!

After a long time away I am back... and I have managed to get hold of some Kava for me :) I bought a good few bags of Lateral Root powder from a reputable online store... yep I was surprised! Am I allowed to say the brand here?

I have had a few cups over the last month and I am still getting used to the taste.. boy it's bitter! But I am looking up some recipes and seeing what suits me best... it sure has a nice buzz and I know this will help me kick the codeine.

I am also rather hoping I have just taken the last codeine tablets ever... it helps that I can no longer get them here but my weakness is when I go back to Spain where they sell OTC. By the time I return to Spain in October I hope I will have settled nicely into my Kava routine...
So, any pointers on recipes let me know... meanwhile I am off to make a cup of Kava with Coconut Milk, and explore the forum!...

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yes you are free to share vendor information on here. Is it medium grind or microgrind and how are you currently preparing it? I find the aluball prep (with cold water) to have a much less bitter taste and much more heady experience. If your going traditional prep with hot water - then all I can say is that I have yet to find anything to really cut the bitterness while slugging it down. I have come to enjoy it myself. The best you can do is follow it up with a nice sweet snack like pineapple. I had some frozen peaches which worked great last night. I have tried mixing with different juices but most just make the taste even stranger. Almost like trying to drink sweet and sour at the same time. Super sweet vanilla coffee creamer was probably the best thing I found to mix directly in.
Good luck on your journey off of opiates! You can do this!

Skylar

Kava Curious
Thanks, Krunkie!

The brand is Kava King. Lateral Root. I read that was the best to get?

I am mostly experimenting but I must say the drink I just prepared with a tablespoon of powder, a cup of coconut milk and a spoon of maple syrup is pretty nice. Still a bit bitter. I actually prefer savoury tastes so I want to try it with tomato juice soon.. I love my bloody marys and I thought the peppery Tabasco, Worcester sauce, squeeze of lemon and the powder would go quite well?

A couple of Qs for you wise ones...
  • I use a nutribullet and give it a minute or so on blend. Is that ok?
  • Is 1 tablespoon ok? bearing in mind my shameful addiction to co-codamol up til now so I like a strong buzz.
  • And I am guessing I can use this powder without straining?

Skylar

Kava Curious
Yes you are free to share vendor information on here. Is it medium grind or microgrind and how are you currently preparing it? I find the aluball prep (with cold water) to have a much less bitter taste and much more heady experience. If your going traditional prep with hot water - then all I can say is that I have yet to find anything to really cut the bitterness while slugging it down. I have come to enjoy it myself. The best you can do is follow it up with a nice sweet snack like pineapple. I had some frozen peaches which worked great last night. I have tried mixing with different juices but most just make the taste even stranger. Almost like trying to drink sweet and sour at the same time. Super sweet vanilla coffee creamer was probably the best thing I found to mix directly in.
Good luck on your journey off of opiates! You can do this!
Thank you @Zaphod! ... great tips.

I dont know what grind but it is very fine... seems to work well in the blender

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
To the best of my knowledge Kava King doesn't sell any kava. I searched their website and could not find any kava for sale at all. Neither did I find any Kava Time kava for sale on Amazon. They seem to sell everything but kava, however, and everything has the word kava on it. Probably made with kava and it seems to have kavalactones. They have lots of good product reviews on Amazon, but one has to take those with a grain of salt, in my experience, could be positive or it might mean nothing. If it works for people, that's great.

Skylar

Kava Curious
18 months later and I’m back again...
I’m afraid that wasn’t the last codeine I took. I just couldn’t drink the Kava in the end. The retching just got worse.... I fell back to buying OTC codein/paracetamol mix in Spain. After a week of cold turkey I tried Kava again today but just couldn’t keep in down.... shame... because it did give me the gentle chill I needed.

I think, considering my dependency, I may need to go over to K@ first.... I still have plenty of Kava so will seek a good blend/drink recipe and wean myself onto it..... I just don’t want to fall back to the bad habits again to feed my need for the opiates... it scares me.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
18 months later and I’m back again...
I’m afraid that wasn’t the last codeine I took. I just couldn’t drink the Kava in the end. The retching just got worse.... I fell back to buying OTC codein/paracetamol mix in Spain. After a week of cold turkey I tried Kava again today but just couldn’t keep in down.... shame... because it did give me the gentle chill I needed.

I think, considering my dependency, I may need to go over to K@ first.... I still have plenty of Kava so will seek a good blend/drink recipe and wean myself onto it..... I just don’t want to fall back to the bad habits again to feed my need for the opiates... it scares me.
to be honest I am far more worried about the paracetomol than the codeine.