What's new

Help Please:Question about switching from Grog to Micronized

drifter308

Kava Curious
---->A few days ago I got a 1/2 lb bag of micronized Boroguru from Chris at GHK. For the past month and a half I've been drinking grog from various vendors (Borongou from Kalm, Stone [loved] and Tongan from NAH, and Mahakea from GHK) about five nights a week to get past the RT threshold, and I've gotten pretty good at making a potent grog from the medium grind. I'm sure you all know that there's no way to get around how awful that tastes so after Chris included a sample of the Nene micronized with my Mahakea order I decided to give one of his more potent varieties a try, so I ordered the Boroguru which by all reviews and accounts is supposed to be pretty strong.
----->I believe the reviews I've seen, but with both the Nene and the Boroguru micronized the effects seem really really mild compared to the grog made from the medium grind. I've just been blending it up in some juice with a little coconut milk, but it takes 4 heaped tablespoons per dose, the effects take much longer to hit (and I really have to eat something about 45min later to get the full effects) and the effects don't last as long. Whereas a single dose of the grog is only two heaped tablespoons per cup. I really, really prefer the taste of the Micro, but from what I gather most people use a lot less of the micro than they do the medium grind and that justifies spending double on it. I'm about to make some micro syrup per Chris' recipe, but I wanted to know if there's something I'm doing wrong or if this is the normal experience? I definitely prefer the taste of the Micro, but I cant afford it if I'm using twice as much as I was with the medium grind and spending double for the same amount, that would quadruple my kava expenditure.

drifter308

Kava Curious
---->Made the micro Kava syrup, that was more potent, but only to the same extent that a normal grog usually is. I like syrup OK, but I still will have gone through the entire 1/2 lb bag by Wednesday, and I just can't afford $52 per week. Please let me know if there's something I'm missing here or if this is just the case for some people, thanks.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Drifter, I've always felt like strained micronized is not cost effective, and drinking it straight up has unpleasant effects on my GI and mind. Try drinking it straight up and see if that does anything for you, but yes, you're not alone.

drifter308

Kava Curious
Thanks for the response, I tried just stirring it in some pineapple juice first, and while it doesn't bother my GI, it just isn't worth the bang for the buck. It takes me 4 tablespoons per dose (shell / cup) as compared with 2 if I make a grog from medium grind, and I generally have two doses (one shell when I get off work, then another about 4-5 hours later). Looks like the micronized just isn't going to be cost effective for me. Too bad too, I'm not looking forward to going back to the grog.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Yes I agree with @kavadude , but there are others that would disagree. I also seemed to have to use allot of micro, to get the same effects. Although I find the Neene, or Mahakea, to be a bit more potent than the Boroguru. But still Im a medium grind, man myself. Maybe @Deleted User01 , could give better advice. But you did bring up a good question. I would like to see others opinion.

Also, to make a medium grind taste good, simply replace the water with any fruit juice. I even heat mine up to 140, and use a stick blender. Then I strain it off like regular kava. Or you can put your kava in a bag, and kneed it in a bowl of warm fruit juice. I find doing this, helps the medicine go down easer. Much Love Roaddog....