What's new

Help: Possible allergic reaction

James5050

Kava Curious
Hi,
I have been reading the past two days about possible allergic reactions to kava, but nothing seems to match what has happened to me. I will quickly explain, and hopefully someone can help.
First of all, I looked online for the most trusted kava and suppliers and believe I bought some micronized kava from a seller that is the most recommended for noble kava.
I enjoyed my sessions, trying small and larger doses. I preferred to keep it small in the end.
After about two weeks of use one day I started to itch on my stomach. I scratched, and then redness and welts appeared. They then spread to my back and became incredible itchy. Then it hit my face, which became very blotchy and swollen, burning, but not so itchy. It looks like hives. I am about day 5 of these hives, finding it hard to sleep because of the intense itching.
Now, I did drink alcohol and two occasions close to those last kava hits. I also tried some more kava during the allergy, but that seemed to make things worse the next day. On the day it actually felt better.
I am now taking steroids and antihistamines, as directed by a doctor. he seems to think I have had a reaction to something. I should say I have been stressed the last few weeks, too. So, I thought it might be stress, not kava.
But doing the research I guess I am not the only one who has had a bad reaction.
My questions:
The kava was great, helping to reduce anxiety and keeping me away from the nights out drinking. I had wine at home on the day I drank kava in the morning. The wine was at night. This was not an immediate red face, but itching in the morning that later led to rash. An itinerant rash that likes to move about my body.
I have stopped the kava for now and am taking the meds.
Do you think this could be an allergic reaction to kava?
Was it that I mixed with alcohol that night?
I have ordered more kava, so will try a small amount when that comes. I hope the allergy has gone by that time. I will also get some blood tests at the hospital just to check my health is ok. I am generally in decent health, exercise, although like my weekend wine sessions.
Kava isn't like other allergies, is it? Such as penicillin? Take again and i am at risk? I didn't read that anywhere. I would like to take it again.
I am hoping that this reaction is a one off, and my body will get used to it. The next order is also a different kind of micronized kava, if that will make a difference.
BTW, the skin reaction was not comparable to the reaction some long-term users get. It was very much like hives, on back, stomach, scalp, face, neck. Everything other part of body was not affected at all. I have no other problems except for itching and burning and a monstrous face :)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if someone has had a similar experience. I just want to be safe, but also would like to use this great plant in the future.
Thank you

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Alcohol causes a hot liver. Kava enhances that side effect.. I believe you are consuming them to close and think you should also consider dandelion and burdock root for the hives

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Definitely sounds like an allergic reaction. Usually a reaction from mixing with alcohol is more of a reddish skin flushing effect rather than a rash and hives. If you want to keep trying, I would highly recommend instant or traditional preparation instead of micronised.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
You do well to follow the advice of your doctor. Hives sounds like a dead give-away that it is an allergic reaction. I'm not sure if what you have written conclusively proves that kava is the culprit behind the allergic reaction or not. I'd say that if you find a pattern of getting hives each time you drink kava and them going away when you don't drink kava, then you can be reasonably sure you are allergic to kava. But you also stated that you drank it for 2 weeks before your allergic reaction started, so it doesn't seem impossible that you are reacting to something else.

James5050

Kava Curious
Thanks for the replies. I will attend to these wounds, and later when the next batch arrives try a small amount and see if there is a reaction. I will definitely not drink!
I have read for hours, and not found any cases of people who have had this kind of reaction and it happened again, and again. I am hoping that if it was kava, it was either due to alcohol, or was a one-off reaction. I will be very careful next time I use it.
One more thing, I heard the safest way was to do the micronized Kava. I bought from a brand that is regularly tested and said to be the best out there. I did on occasions perhaps not mix it so well and may have swallowed it kind of lumpy. Would that matter at all?
Thanks again.
p.s. I have never had hives before, and now have a new respect for anyone dealing with constant itching and burning :)

James5050

Kava Curious
Thanks. I read them all already. My case sounds like the top of those threads. Sucks to be one of a few who have this allergy. But as people say, it might well have been something else and just a coincidence. I will wait and see what happens and try kava again in a very small dose when my next catch arrives. I did read that these reactions may just be the body fighting an unknown, and that may not happen again once the body accepts the alien substance. That might also be wishful thinking.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
You may be ok going forward
Or it may be that alcohol didnt help. I somtimes have kava in the morning. Small dose, and a few beers later in the day
Only on holiday. Ive had no adverse reaction , but we are all drfferent.

James5050

Kava Curious
There were many more kava allergy posts than I first though. Spent a while tonight reading them. Seems many people got a pretty harsh version of hives, and seems many got through it. I will be careful, and from what I have read I believe the reaction hasn't yet led to anyone going into shock, or anything worse that looking monstrous and feeling like you want to peel off your skin.

As i ordered Micronized kava, does anyone think tere is anything I can do to it, process-wise, to make it less likely to give me hives again? I will of course take the smallest amount first, and perhaps take an Atarax (anti-histamine) that day. As I said before, I have been pretty rundown from over work and stress, and that was the reason I forst thought I got hives until I started reading the many threads about allergies on here. It must be the kava, but may have also been related to my stress, too.

This forum has been a great help. When my overactive mind (one reason for starting kava) starts Googling all i find at the end of the search is pain and death :)

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
At a glance I would say medium grind trad prep in a 50 micron strainer (25 micron might be even better for you despite what people can say about potency because someone in this forum solved his issue with it)

James5050

Kava Curious
Hope people read this as I may have worried some people who are taking kava.
I got my blood tests back after that awful rash got worse and worse. It's now backing down, thank God.
The tests show I have a viral infection, which is EBS and related Mono (kissing disease no less - I just can't seem to quit kissing :) It may have been related to all the stress I was under, which can reactivate the virus - even though I don't remember getting it as a kid. Anyhow, this can lead to viral exathems (rash). More blood tests needed as could be something worse, point to something worse, but overall bloodwork was in normal range. Even liver, which is a mystery to me as I have lived for 30 years in my own Vice City. Anyhow, he said it was definitely not an allergic reaction. So, in this case, Kava was not to blame.
Sorry if I have caused anyone to worry. It was just a big coincidence I guess.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am very much a hyper person and can make myself ill from over-thinking, so was busy giving myself anxiety. The kava helped me with that, and it looks like I can go ahead and do it again :)

violet

Do all things with love
I only share opinions based on my own personal experiences, and for the sake of harm prevention I would strongly urge you to take only the slightest amount and allow a couple days to see if you body mounts a reaction to it. Sensitivities can develop at any time for anyone, regardless of how much of a substance is consumed or for how long. I was gutted when I realized kava caused a reaction for me. Some numbers of years ago I used capsules to help the erratic sleep schedule that came with schooling, commuting, and working odd hours. Then it was banned from the US market. I rediscovered it 5 years ago and had been consuming it mostly as traditional prep before getting my reaction.

My questions:
The kava was great, helping to reduce anxiety and keeping me away from the nights out drinking. I had wine at home on the day I drank kava in the morning. The wine was at night. This was not an immediate red face, but itching in the morning that later led to rash. An itinerant rash that likes to move about my body.
I have stopped the kava for now and am taking the meds.
Do you think this could be an allergic reaction to kava?
Thank you
Hives definitely will move around the body like that, everything from little spots to wheals that blend into each other covering larges areas. Miserable it is.

Whether you are experiencing an actual clinical allergic reaction or some type of hypersensitivity, I would suspect the kava may have something to do with it. Your reaction sounds very much like mine. I experienced the facial swelling the second time with a taste of Paradise extract the size of a rice grain. It doesn't get any cleaner than that, and it could have been serious had I consumed a normal amount.

Was it that I mixed with alcohol that night?
If you have some type of kink in the way you metabolize of detox, consuming alcohol can greatly magnify it and make you more sensitive to other substances while the body is still trying to process the effects of the alcohol.

I have ordered more kava, so will try a small amount when that comes. I hope the allergy has gone by that time. I will also get some blood tests at the hospital just to check my health is ok. I am generally in decent health, exercise, although like my weekend wine sessions.
Kava isn't like other allergies, is it? Such as penicillin? Take again and i am at risk? I didn't read that anywhere. I would like to take it again.
Allergic reactions and sensitivities are as individual as the person experiencing them. There is far too much to be known about the way the human body works to safely say someone can re-expose themselves to something safely.

I am hoping that this reaction is a one off, and my body will get used to it. The next order is also a different kind of micronized kava, if that will make a difference.
BTW, the skin reaction was not comparable to the reaction some long-term users get. It was very much like hives, on back, stomach, scalp, face, neck. Everything other part of body was not affected at all. I have no other problems except for itching and burning and a monstrous face :)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if someone has had a similar experience. I just want to be safe, but also would like to use this great plant in the future.

As i ordered Micronized kava, does anyone think tere is anything I can do to it, process-wise, to make it less likely to give me hives again?
I don't feel these seemingly allergic reactions are comparable to the process of dermopathy (which I've had quite extensively in the past). Going through the anecdotes where an allergy is suspected the symptoms seems to go one way or another.

If all you have is micronized kava and you are unable to wait for instant or ground root, then you would be best off making a strained beverage that retains as little sediment as possible. If it is a sensitivity to the kava itself, even the purest instant or extract will likely cause hives (which is what I experienced to a frightening degree and impels me to give you additional caution :) )

The tests show I have a viral infection, which is EBS and related Mono (kissing disease no less - I just can't seem to quit kissing :) It may have been related to all the stress I was under, which can reactivate the virus - even though I don't remember getting it as a kid. Anyhow, this can lead to viral exathems (rash). More blood tests needed as could be something worse, point to something worse, but overall bloodwork was in normal range. Even liver, which is a mystery to me as I have lived for 30 years in my own Vice City. Anyhow, he said it was definitely not an allergic reaction. So, in this case, Kava was not to blame.
Lots of things can cause our viral titers to increase. Children and even some adults can often be asymptomatic with certain infections. As it sounds like your immune system has some additional workload to clear out, you may wish to forego your next attempt with kava until your viral load has decreased. Otherwise one might be able to wonder if the effect of the reactivated virus on the immune system could have something to do with your body responding to kava with hives. Also know that alcohol and sugar will suppress the immune system.

A few things I like to use to bring down viruses are olive leaf extract, oregano, freshly ground black cumin, and colloidal silver.

Please, just don't be 100% trusting that the kava has nothing to do with the hives.

James5050

Kava Curious
Thanks, and I won't. That was a very thorough reply, so cheers for taking the time. This month while getting all these tests - apparently now I have dengue, too, old strain and new strain - I will do nothing but rest.

violet

Do all things with love
Thanks, and I won't. That was a very thorough reply, so cheers for taking the time. This month while getting all these tests - apparently now I have dengue, too, old strain and new strain - I will do nothing but rest.
Sorry to hear that, new infections can definitely tax the immune system and provoke old viruses that had been peacefully dormant, among other things. Thank you for the kind words and you are certainly welcome. I hope you are back to feeling your healthy normal in good time :).

James5050

Kava Curious
Hi,

I should update. One of the reasons for that, is that reading other threads people experiencing adverse reactions just seemed to disappear, and I wanted to know what happened to them as time went by.

Anyhow, so the doctor told me my rash was definitely not an allergy. That rash turned into a few little spots after two weeks, although my face was still slightly red. No itching, no discomfort, and if there was an itch it was a nice, unlike that under the skin hive itch feeling.

As the doc told me no allergy and I was feeling good - a lot of healthy living and daily light exercise, I decided I would open my new micronized noble kava and try some. This was a different batch. I gave the old one away, to a friend who was happy with the results.

Initial feeling was good, no adverse reaction. But about fours after I started to feel hot and my face was slightly red. I made the mistake, probably, of going for a walk up a very steep hill. I live in a hot country and sweated a lot. I doubt that means much, but when I got home, now about 8 hours after dose, I started getting really hot. Fast-forward two more hours and I am having what I could describe rapid-rash, hysterical hives, making my face swell a bit and very red. My stomach and back also became covered in what looked like a sunburn. Importantly, this was nothing like my first bad reaction, which was slow in onset, the rash blotchy (more hives like). The new rash didn't really itch, but man was I hot. Very, very hot, with a fast heartbeat. Now I understand the comparison to Niacin flush. I could feel my face throbbing. I took some antihistamines but that didn't seem to work, and also took some steroids I had left over. Couldn't sleep as face too hot, but got a couple of hours somewhere. Feeling depressed that I might have another two weeks of itching and monster-face (the new red face was more like pink sunburn, compared to dark red, swollen blotches I had before).

But after those couple of hours sleep the heat was mostly gone, and I itched only very slightly. Now midday, about 26 hours after dose (two teaspoons) and the rash is almost gone as is the heat. It was extreme, but I'd take that over two weeks of itching any day.

So, i guess it was the kava. Why my blood tests are showing other viral infections may just be down to my body fighting all kinds of things. As I said before, I had a full blood check and everything was in normal range. I will go back in 10 days I check again.

I will leave kava now for a good while. I have heard of some people getting less severe reactions, as I did, but still, I will wait until I feel ready. 24-hour extreme reaction isn't pleasant. I may even put my micronized through an aluball. You never know, it might do something. If anything strange happens on that next time, I guess that is it. How bloody ironic that I was using this to cut down on other vices.

As for rash affecting only one percent of people, well, from what I can see, it seems to be far more. I have read virtually every anecdotal piece of evidence out there online, and my conclusion is that some people do indeed get over the hive-reactions, but it seems brand has little to do with it. Perhaps the kind of kava might be important for some people. I did always take pills to lessen the hives and itching, but I am not sure they ever did anything. BTW, i took some cetrizine before I did the kava. It would be helpful if some professional analysis could point to why hives occur, or in my case (others, too, it seems), the reaction can be very different. Trying to be very positive, I am kind of hoping this less severe reaction is me building up a tolerance.

The fact I have some viral infections may have played a part, or perhaps even the reaction I had set off some old infections (dengue, mono). I just don't know.

I will report back after my next, and possibly final, test.

If any of you have suffered such crazy reactions, I guess the good news is when the rash leaves (at least for me), the skin was very soft and healthy looking. As if the rash burned off the older less healthy-looking skin. That's one positive I can take from all of this :)

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
I would definitivly cancel my intake of micronized kava and give a try to medium grind with a good strainer (50 micron).

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Hi,

I should update. One of the reasons for that, is that reading other threads people experiencing adverse reactions just seemed to disappear, and I wanted to know what happened to them as time went by.

Anyhow, so the doctor told me my rash was definitely not an allergy. That rash turned into a few little spots after two weeks, although my face was still slightly red. No itching, no discomfort, and if there was an itch it was a nice, unlike that under the skin hive itch feeling.

As the doc told me no allergy and I was feeling good - a lot of healthy living and daily light exercise, I decided I would open my new micronized noble kava and try some. This was a different batch. I gave the old one away, to a friend who was happy with the results.

Initial feeling was good, no adverse reaction. But about fours after I started to feel hot and my face was slightly red. I made the mistake, probably, of going for a walk up a very steep hill. I live in a hot country and sweated a lot. I doubt that means much, but when I got home, now about 8 hours after dose, I started getting really hot. Fast-forward two more hours and I am having what I could describe rapid-rash, hysterical hives, making my face swell a bit and very red. My stomach and back also became covered in what looked like a sunburn. Importantly, this was nothing like my first bad reaction, which was slow in onset, the rash blotchy (more hives like). The new rash didn't really itch, but man was I hot. Very, very hot, with a fast heartbeat. Now I understand the comparison to Niacin flush. I could feel my face throbbing. I took some antihistamines but that didn't seem to work, and also took some steroids I had left over. Couldn't sleep as face too hot, but got a couple of hours somewhere. Feeling depressed that I might have another two weeks of itching and monster-face (the new red face was more like pink sunburn, compared to dark red, swollen blotches I had before).

But after those couple of hours sleep the heat was mostly gone, and I itched only very slightly. Now midday, about 26 hours after dose (two teaspoons) and the rash is almost gone as is the heat. It was extreme, but I'd take that over two weeks of itching any day.

So, i guess it was the kava. Why my blood tests are showing other viral infections may just be down to my body fighting all kinds of things. As I said before, I had a full blood check and everything was in normal range. I will go back in 10 days I check again.

I will leave kava now for a good while. I have heard of some people getting less severe reactions, as I did, but still, I will wait until I feel ready. 24-hour extreme reaction isn't pleasant. I may even put my micronized through an aluball. You never know, it might do something. If anything strange happens on that next time, I guess that is it. How bloody ironic that I was using this to cut down on other vices.

As for rash affecting only one percent of people, well, from what I can see, it seems to be far more. I have read virtually every anecdotal piece of evidence out there online, and my conclusion is that some people do indeed get over the hive-reactions, but it seems brand has little to do with it. Perhaps the kind of kava might be important for some people. I did always take pills to lessen the hives and itching, but I am not sure they ever did anything. BTW, i took some cetrizine before I did the kava. It would be helpful if some professional analysis could point to why hives occur, or in my case (others, too, it seems), the reaction can be very different. Trying to be very positive, I am kind of hoping this less severe reaction is me building up a tolerance.

The fact I have some viral infections may have played a part, or perhaps even the reaction I had set off some old infections (dengue, mono). I just don't know.

I will report back after my next, and possibly final, test.

If any of you have suffered such crazy reactions, I guess the good news is when the rash leaves (at least for me), the skin was very soft and healthy looking. As if the rash burned off the older less healthy-looking skin. That's one positive I can take from all of this :)
Thank you for letting us know!!! If you are still wanting to pursue this (which, frankly, sounds risky to me), my next move would probably be to try BHK's extract at a very low dose and see if that causes the same reaction; if it doesn't, then to try medium grind at a low dose and go from there. But like I said, it does sound risky to me. But I'm NOT a doctor.