What's new

Help with dry skin

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Its been a minute since I've posted here. I'm a heavy kava drinker. I love the pepper. I've been drinking it with no problems up until a month ago. I don't have what I'd call a rash, just dry rough skin. The roughness is around my armpits, arms, and mostly my hands. I've been using the same strainer for over a year and I'm about to try a finer strainer today, as the slots have become withered and wider from daily use, making my rinses a lot grittier. How can I keep my skin hydrated, without the use of lotion, lotion never seems to help. And how can I potentiate the wanted effect without using more powder?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
For potentiation try using cow's milk. I use about a quarter of my liquid as milk, something I picked up from an old video on the internet and it makes a real difference.

For your skin go with coconut oil capsules. I take three a day and haven't had any dry skin for over a year now despite seriously heavy kava use.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Oh yeah its starting to get cold here. Unfortunately where I live has a reputation of getting incredibly hot in the summer and bitingly cold in the winter. There is no fall or spring, lol, only summer and winter. I will increase the fat in my diet and see if that helps. My new strainer just came a few minutes ago and I'm really excited to use it.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
You might like some of the oral re-hydration salt packets available online. It's like pedialite without all the dyes and flavors. You can add your own flavoring if you like. There are some I've tried off of Amazon that are formulated according to the World Health Organization's specifications. Maybe some electrolytes along with your regular hydration will help.

Coconot oil ingested never helped me, sadly. I know you said you don't like lotion, but if you decide to give it a try again, cetaphil is a good one.
Particular types of kava make my dermo worse, like melo melo. I love that one. Could it also be which kava you're using?

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Does anyone know, at what point should you halt or cutback? The dry skin isn't going away even though I'm drinking a lot of water with it with electrolytes. I've tried coconut oil, coconut water, and that actually seems to make it even worse. Is it possible to continue drinking kava with this without it damaging my health? Luckily its inconsistent and changes every day. At the end of the day I get some dry flaky scaly skin but within hours it goes back to almost normal. It isn't noticeable until upclose and it isn't severe or itchy.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Does anyone know, at what point should you halt or cutback? The dry skin isn't going away even though I'm drinking a lot of water with it with electrolytes. I've tried coconut oil, coconut water, and that actually seems to make it even worse. Is it possible to continue drinking kava with this without it damaging my health? Luckily its inconsistent and changes every day. At the end of the day I get some dry flaky scaly skin but within hours it goes back to almost normal. It isn't noticeable until upclose and it isn't severe or itchy.
This isn't sounding urgent since your skin will stop being dry at times. Just go with what you're comfortable with! It sounds like you're not going overboard and your skin isn't cracking which is good. I think you just have to find what level you can tolerate and be happy with. Try not to worry over some skin flake pixie dust unless it gets severe and is bothering your peace of mind or hurting.