What's new

Kava Preparation Help with potency

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
2tbs, 4tbs, 5tbs And half cup.
All the effects seem to be nice but very very minimal. Using kalm and ghk. I alubottle and knead. Am I doin something wrong here? Seems like people get much stronger effects than I’m getting. Any suggestions would
Be great on how to get a good krunk on!

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
This method increases krunkness for me probably 2-3 fold:

It tastes disgusting when warm so I put it in the fridge before consuming it. Good luck!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Some people go through reverse tolerance, full effects can kick in on the first try for some and for others it may take a couple weeks.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I use the aluball for convenience only. If I want strength kneading is the only way to go
Triple balling makes some darn strong grog, tho, with some grinds. Oddly, I find the makas is really strong for kneading in later washes. But I'll knead up a huge bag of alubottle makas and make several washes.

verticity

I'm interested in things
A few tips:

- Drink it on an empty stomach; before a meal, not during or after. This can make a huge difference in the strength of the effects you feel.

- Use less water. I generally use a ratio of 1:6 or 1:8 kava to water, but you can cut the water way down to 1:3 or 1:4 to make a very strong drink. In other words, use 3-4 cups of water for each cup of kava. So if you use half a cup of kava, use 2 cups of water. That's how @Bula Kava House makes it...

- Prepare with water that is hot but not boiling. I usually use hot tap water that is about 130 Fahrenheit or so. I should note that it is not traditional to use hot water, but it can increase potency. You can try the boiling method shown above, but be aware that that makes the taste much worse..

- "Listen" to the kava. What that means is basically just sit quietly somewhere without distractions, loud noises or bright lights, and just kind of notice the subtle changes in your consciousness. Don't be disappointed if you don't feel overwhelming effects, just appreciate the subtle ones. Or I think that's what it means...

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Triple balling makes some darn strong grog, tho, with some grinds. Oddly, I find the makas is really strong for kneading in later washes. But I'll knead up a huge bag of alubottle makas and make several washes.
I bet, I’m only working with a single ball. Definitely handicapping myself

Palmetto

Thank God!
Kava is not like crack or methamphatamines. It is not generally rapidly overpowering. But it is awesome in the proper usage. Don't eat for 2 hours before kava, and try the heavier types, based on what it sounds you are looking for. If you are looking for some chemical to solve your major troubles, than you will never find a solution anywhere. But if you are looking for a nice relaxing drink to calm your anxiety, you will eventually find the right place after trying out a few kavas.n I spent years looking for calming "products". Kava is by far the best, and hydroxy tryptophan a distant 2nd. Excuse me for blabbering, I am already a bit krunked.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Kava is not like crack or methamphatamines. It is not generally rapidly overpowering. But it is awesome in the proper usage. Don't eat for 2 hours before kava, and try the heavier types, based on what it sounds you are looking for. If you are looking for some chemical to solve your major troubles, than you will never find a solution anywhere. But if you are looking for a nice relaxing drink to calm your anxiety, you will eventually find the right place after trying out a few kavas.n I spent years looking for calming "products". Kava is by far the best, and hydroxy tryptophan a distant 2nd. Excuse me for blabbering, I am already a bit krunked.
Unless you are me... ...and you take WAY too much GHK Moi micronized or (and actually, I had a similar but less overpowering experience the first time I made Kava Time Savu Savu, but only the first time...). I am stick to medium grind only now.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
FWIW this is one of the great and yet annoying things about Kava. In my experience anyway. Firs things firsst, have been into Kava's for long? What kind of vibe do you think you might like? By that I meen. I love the kinds that lead me to a 'life is good place.'. This for me tend to be head to stop over thinking things and just do it! (Head+some body yumms going) For ME that tends to be from a place called Bulla Kava House with their most exceltent Nabwan, Gormet Hawiain Kava's Kamakua and when it's in stock again their Papa Kea. Just yum. I'm also trying KavaFied's Tongan. Just as examples. I don't want to confuse you. My dyslexic brain does that sometimes.
You might like other things and that's ok. I simply don't know what you have tried or would enjoy ^_^

#For Kick. I I've found that for the stuff I like that putting 2-3 TBS of root into a Rubermaid (or equivilent) cup. And then just putting that into the fridge and leaving it their.

If you feel adventurous and not feint of heart: 1/2-1 TBS of root in a medium size coffe cup, swirling then downing *making a BLARG face* is where I started. That was simply to help the Kava build up. Basically human bodies being reely smart simply don't trust weird things. Kava being weird you're body sensably says: I don't if I should trust this, or is this really a good idea? oO Hence a build up and trust stage.

Hope that helps ^_^

Note: I simply call more body type of Kava's what some call Heavy.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Unless you are me... ...and you take WAY too much GHK Moi micronized or (and actually, I had a similar but less overpowering experience the first time I made Kava Time Savu Savu, but only the first time...). I am stick to medium grind only now.
Kt savusavu is one of the strongest kavas I ever had. Great grog but I treat it with mega respect.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you to everyone who contributed! So basically I just drank till I felt he effects really start kicken. By that point it was too late, I was blasted to outer space and couch laden for the next three hours.
That's what I'mtalking about!!

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Re: the hot-water prep methods -- ya, they will increase the extraction and potency, but MAN, it has an absolutely
dreadful taste, and the consistency is thick and awful.

Other than that, works great! :)

I've tried it a few times but will happily sacrifice the better extraction for a more tolerable taste and consistency.

Reactions: Myk

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
Strangly, boiling method produce the greatest taste for me. I like the very prononced taste of Kava, oily, viscous, pinny or not. I can sip with great satisfactory the warm boiled prep whatever the strains ( for what I know until now)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Strangly, boiling method produce the greatest taste for me. I like the very prononced taste of Kava, oily, viscous, pinny or not. I can sip with great satisfactory the warm boiled prep whatever the strains ( for what I know until now)
If you find a way to bottle the ability to drink boiled kava, I'll take a 12 pack.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Re: the hot-water prep methods -- ya, they will increase the extraction and potency, but MAN, it has an absolutely
dreadful taste, and the consistency is thick and awful.

Other than that, works great! :)

I've tried it a few times but will happily sacrifice the better extraction for a more tolerable taste and consistency.
I also prefer the hot water method and I avoid the taste by cooling it down with 5-6 ice cubes. As it melts and cools the grog down, it makes it much more tolerable to shoot it back.