What's new

Help with sourcing kava in Australia

GoWest86

Kava Curious
Hi guys, I'm new to kava and to this forum. So far I have found one good source of fijian noble kava in Australia. It's the Yalu cultivar. Very nice balanced effects with just enough headiness to put me in a good place. I got it from an islander who lives down the road from me.

However, I'm trying to find other sources so I can get some different strains. Unfortunately, Australia's drug laws are very backwards and, frankly, quite stupid. It's technically not legal to import kava to Australia but it's legal to buy it from a supplier in Australia.

Basically, I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know where I can find other good sources of noble kava in Australia?

2) I have noticed that both KWK and GHK have options on their web stores to have kava sent to Australia (the only two vendors that even give you the option). Does anyone know what the real world likelihood is of getting into trouble with the Aussie government if I was to get small amounts of kava sent to my place in Australia from these vendors? If it was a small amount, would they just turn a blind eye? Has anyone in Australia tried this?

Cheers,
Andre

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Finding your local Polynesians or Tongan church group is always a good start for sources. Last I heard, you can also bring 2 kilos into the country if you fly. So, if you live in east Australia, you could try to find cheap flights somewhere close like NZ, Vanuatu or Fiji and return with kava. Ask family and friends to bring some back for ya if they go on a trip too.

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Unfortunately, buying kava is banned. People can bring up to 2 kg into Oz per trip, for personal use.

I'm not sure about growing kava, especially considering Australia's strict biosecurity. In theory it should grow alright in the sugarcane region of QLD.

GoWest86

Kava Curious
Hi Andre,
I am afraid this is actually not exactly accurate. It is illegal to both import kava to Aussie via mail and sell it in Aussie, unless the product is licensed by the TGA (there are just a few kava products that can legally be sold at the moment, I think the NZ-made Thompson pills and Relaxmax from Melbourne) . I think it's very likely that the vendor you get your kava from breaks the law.. @Crunked should know more though.

I personally know two people who got fined and threatened with prosecution for importing kava illegally to Australia, but I've also heard of a few people who have successfully managed to get small amounts through via mail. But it's certainly a gamble.
I often get e-mails from Aussies visiting NZ who want to buy up to 2kgs of kava per person here and bring it back home (which is perfectly legal). So let me know if you ever travel across the ditch :)
Hi Henry,
Do you have a brick and mortar store in NZ or is it just online?

Crunked

Proselytizer
Why is it illegal in Australia ?
Because it is ineffective as a substance for ethnic cleansing of the indigenous population, whereas alcohol can't be beat. White man always knows what's best, proven record since white settlement. Nigel Scullion makes Trump look like a genius.