What's new

Hi from a happy n00b!

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I've suffered with severe, chronic anxiety, OCD, and moderate ADHD my whole life (in my 30s now). I'm intrigued to find if kava works for me. That site you mentioned is sold out of every type except Borugu. Are there any others you suggest? Starwest Botanicals has 425mg capsules of kava root. 425 seems like a lot though. I just want to find something better than the numerous antidepressants/antipsychotics/whatevers all the psychiatrists have prescribed in the past. Thanks!
Please, no Starwest. It’s no bueno. It can make you very ill. Some of it has tested as not even being kava and the rest is just crap.
Look on Amazon and check out the vendor list on these forums.
Other than that, welcome! The kava forums is a wonderful place with great people.

Lil' Krunkette

Crawling Chaos
Please, no Starwest. It’s no bueno. It can make you very ill. Some of it has tested as not even being kava and the rest is just crap.
Look on Amazon and check out the vendor list on these forums.
Other than that, welcome! The kava forums is a wonderful place with great people.
Yeppers, Intrepidus_dux...I didn't want to name names, but that may be where I got some nasty kava a couple of years ago. I tried it, and had a bad experience, and am only now getting re-acquainted with kava. The vendors who come on here are great. I look forward to trying all of their kavas!
Lil K

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yeppers, Intrepidus_dux...I didn't want to name names, but that may be where I got some nasty kava a couple of years ago. I tried it, and had a bad experience, and am only now getting re-acquainted with kava. The vendors who come on here are great. I look forward to trying all of their kavas!
Lil K
a few pointers that helped me with the taste/gag thing early on:

1. make stronger kava, higher root:water ratio so you have to consumer less volume, lessen exposure, until you adapt. Just chug it all at one go, fast as you can and then chase it.

2. Instead of just water, I would use a mixture of 2/3 water and 1/3 coconut milk

3. Immediately after swallowing, chase it. Best is ginger beer (not ginger ale but ginger beer, which is more gingery, and it's the ginger that produces the effect). Before that I used fresh pineapple. But anything is better than nothing, any fruit or juice or even pop. Ginger beer is the very best chaser, tho, IMO.

Lil' Krunkette

Crawling Chaos
Thank you. I'll do that. The feeling I get from medium grind is "fuller" and longer lasting somehow, so it's worth the taste...but the ginger beer idea is great. Ginger is supposed to calm down any nausea, anyhow, so that's a double reason to try it!
LK