What's new

Hi, Kava Community

KavaNewb

Bi-Han (璧漢)✌
Hello, KF
I'm semi new to kava. Well sort of. My first experience with kava was with amazon fiji kava:banghead:. I should have done my research before hopping right onto the kava boat in setting sail. Upon receiving my kava from amazon I was super eager to try it out, since i had heard such good things about kava. I went to the local mart picked up some silk milk, a strainer, and a giant measuring cup. The cashier greeted me with a "what tf" are you making expression? :LOL:

Fast forward.....I Set up everything and began the process. I open the bag and smell kava for the first time it smells peppery :happy:. I grab a giant Tablespoon and shovel out what I believe was around 5 tablespoon:oops: into the blender. Skip ahead to the first sip :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::cry::cry:. I chug it down, BIG MISTAKE. I felt utterly sick to my stomach and wanted to Vomit but i push through. For the next few weeks I couldn't even stomach the smell of kava w/o wanting to vomit.:LOL:

Fast forward....a few weeks later. (After I built up the nerve to try again:D) I began experimenting with kava to try to find a way to cover the taste. I tried everything from Coffee to Nesquik. Today though, I finally made a breakthrough.(y) I was on the very last of my kava. So I just to decided to finish the the rest off. I emptied the bag into some milk, blended , strained and then bottled it. I Packed my bag and headed off.

Fast forward... I arrive to campus and look around for a place to sit. I finally find a bench to sit down. I open up my bag, take out my bottled kava and start sipping. :coffee: Something peculiar happens as I sit down on this bench trying another batch of my Kava Blend though. The taste doesn't bother me, I dare to say it was actually enjoyable. Then as I sat there drinking this kava and feeling great that I finally got used to the kava taste, I started to feel some of the effects of kava for the first time. I felt extremely comfortable:shameshame: and at peace. Some female comes in sits down next to me :cautious:, and I don't usually go out of my way to talk to strangers but today I was like what the "Hay":cool:.

We talk for what felt like a few minutes, but I check my watch and realize its been an hour. I'm late for my class. :facepalm: I get her number and then head off to my class.
I'm a few minutes late, but I manage to talk the professor into letting me into class.(y)

Morel of the story: If you're drinking Kava make sure you have a Alarm set or a free schedule.:p
But all in all, Great day.:D

I do realize that the kava that i used was subpar though. So i was hoping you guys could recommend me a new kava to try next.:D I'm thinking about micronized because i've read that it mixes better and is more potent. Oh also, where do i purchase some new kava because the kava shop is empty:(, and i would love to be able to get some new kava before next week.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Welcome KavaNewb. I had some nasty tasting Kava today but I added a tablespoon of frozen grape juice and the the juice of half a lemon. Then I added Ice and sipped it. This was a darker colored Kava and those are usually not so good tasting. I love the micronized and I think both instant and Micronized have spoiled me to the point that I don't like the taste of Grog. Put a tablespoon or more in a glass of club soda with lime and ice and you are ready to chill. GHK has a sampler that has both.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

Please read the rest of my reply above. I messed up the post and had to go to a regular computer to finish it. Yes, it tasted way better. You can't "sip" Kava if it tastes bad.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Welcome aboard! I can second javamans recommendation for the GHK sampler pack, or perhaps the BKH sampler pack.

As you discovered...kava makes you operate on Island Time. This is usually a good thing.

I find instant tastes better but honestly I just pinch my nose, chug it all, and flush my mouth out. If I'm tasting it I've done something wrong.

KavaNewb

Bi-Han (璧漢)✌
Ty, After my experience with gulping it down I thought I had done something wrong, and thought it had to be sipped :D
Where can I get the GHK sampler pack?

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
Good thing I changed my handle or you would have been Kavanewb 2 !! Welcome to the most friendly , informative , and relaxed :D Forum on the net !.

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
Welcome KavaNewb. Just know we all struggle with the taste at one point or another.. Keep reading the posts, you will see alot of that out there.. There are milder cultivars out there you could start with. I've been drinking Fu at work.. and find it really easy to take down. GHK has some nice instants that go well with any of javamans' recipes...

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...Morel of the story: If you're drinking Kava make sure you have a Alarm set or a free schedule.:p....
Welcome to the forum @KavaNewb. I gave you a like for your post and would give you another one if I could. So here it is: +1. :woot:

It was a great story and a cool use of the little emoticons. They actually gave your story some emotimotion.

Keep it up and I may have to follow you!!