What's new

Hives

Status
Not open for further replies.

infraredz

BULA!
Have you tried taking an anti-histamine regularly and if so, did it relieve the symptoms?

What were you using before (when you had no symptoms)? How long after starting the Boroguru did this present?

Personally, I've found benadryl to a be a more effective anti-histamine than any of the 2nd-gen ones (like Claritin) for hives, possibly due to the fact that it is centrally acting. Obviously there is more of a CNS effect which might not be well tolerated for some (I have no idea how it affects your FM) but I would recommend taking regular doses of some anti-histamine until it clears up, which should be relatively soon.

Then, what I would recommend for the sake of keeping variables down to a minimum is to go back to the original kava you started with and try taking that at the same dose/frequency you were before (or less, accounting for RT). Also, don't forget to stop taking the anti-histamine. If no symptoms present, then you might have found the variable (strain) that was causing the reaction. If similar symptoms present with the "original" kava, then you might have developed sensitivity to an allergen found in kava. That being said, there are still a tremendous amount of variables to account for. For example, if you stopped consuming kava and the next day the symptoms were worse then it's possible there is another contributing factor (maybe I misunderstood, but I think you said it cleared up, then the next morning it was worse?). Also, it's allergy season...

D

Deleted User01

Earth Mother, as I stated earlier, there are allergens in the air now. I had some itchiness earlier in the week and this weekend I felt a heaviness in the chest which is a precursor to Asthma. It's very mild but it just started and I haven't had any Kava since Thursday. Here are some things to consider.

Do you have existing allergies? Maybe the Kava powder has put you over the edge and straining the heck out of the Kava will help. I'll bet you don't get hives with non-powder Kava and you may end up alternating between the two.

The fact that you "just started" having these symptoms is encouraging. Lay off for a few days and take your bendryl. Then start up again and strain it with a vengence. Another idea, strain it into a big glass or bottle and chill it. Later, pour/strain it into another glass and be wary of avoiding the fine particles they will be lurking at the bottom of the glass.

One more thing, what do you add to your Kava? Have you recently changed your ingredients or method of preparation? I use coconut water and those soy granules but you never know what is going to sit wrong with your system.

Good luck!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is something we've seen in individuals from time to time. I personally have a friend who breaks out in hives at the mention of kava. I'm not sure what's happening in these individuals, but it seems like some sort of allergic reaction. You're not alone with this reaction.

Teamfour

Kava Curious
I have noticed a little itchy feeling after drinking instant green. No hives though.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Maybe you could try reducing your Kava intake a bit and find something else to pick up the slack. Before I learned of Kava I often used lemon balm to take the edge off at the end of the day. It works very well. You can buy it in capsule form online or at GNC and you can also grow it. A friend of mine recently started growing it in his yard; I can't get him to try Kava since he's content with LB. It does spread fast though so if you have other plants nearby you'll want to keep that in mind as it can overrun them. Many studies have been conducted that prove LB to be very effective.

earth mother

Love and Light
Well...I took a few days off, took benadryl and let the swelling of my face clear. I am an hour into my first glass, sludge and all and Wait for it.....Wait for it, nothing going on but that "peaceful easy feeling". I have been thanking Mother Earth and the Kava Gods, since I do know that it is a gift and am showing my gratitude. Now I have to figure out Wth I am allergic to, but it Is NOT the Kava----Happy Dance all up in here. I wanna thank you all for your support and suggestions, you are some Amazing souls!!!
Love and Light Dear Ones <3

D

Deleted User01

Good news earth mother! I hate to be a Debbie Downer (Bwah, Bwah) but you are not out of the woods until you re-dose yourself and that may take 3 continuous sessions. So be on the alert and proceed with caution, I can think of many, many reasons to give up Kava but I don't want to give up the calm relaxed feeling, the second wind I get in the middle of the workday, and especially the sound sleep at the end of the day. So a little itchy scratchy is a small price to pay. Now onward to the Kavasseur to read his new review. Yipee!

earth mother

Love and Light
Deleted User01 I went over the river and threw the woods ;) I had 4 of my 3tbs to 7oz water servings yesterday and besides being a bit tired this morning...All Is Well. But good lookin out my friend and yes I was still checking the mirror and listening to my body, but I think that it is safe to say....Game On!!! But that concern and realness is what I was talking about and I Love It! Keeping it real and having one another's back is what it is all about :)
Love and Light Dear Ones <3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.