What's new

Kava Preparation Homemade Instant Kava - Construction

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Kapm! You're chugging along real nice! That's right, don't give up on it!
flank , mos3z - Yup that's right. FDA cleared the Fijian after an inspection.

Buddy Love

Quantum activist in the holographic playground
Whatever happened to your experiences with this, Capm? and have other folks also been experimenting with making instant in these ways? or other ways?

any updates to share?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I make Instant just by drying sediment on a plate in the sun and then milling it in a coffee grinder. Wonderful stuff. My wife adores it. I use the same technique to make kava flakes for sublingual enjoyment and they are wonderful. For flakes you just need a thicker goo.

Buddy Love

Great way to dehydrate and grind.

Just to clarify, the sediment you use for drying. is this after prepping and draining off the washes?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Great way to dehydrate and grind.

Just to clarify, the sediment you use for drying. is this after prepping and draining off the washes?
the sediment I use is the silky stuff left in the bottom of a shell or jar of grog. It's whatever settles at the bottom that you didn't shake or stir back into the grog. I found it's pointless and wasteful to try to make instant on purpose, rather, whenever I see this sediment, I salvage it. It's a by-product rather than a product, but well worth salvaging, IMO. Flakes are really quite special.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Whatever happened to your experiences with this, Capm? and have other folks also been experimenting with making instant in these ways? or other ways?

any updates to share?
Hey Buddy. Well, it became clear after several batches that the time needed to produce the instant would cost more than the instant itself. My method was making a batch every 5-7 hours. That's about 15-20 grams of instant in that time frame. It was a fun project, and taught me a bit about thermodynamics and freeze drying, but ultimately I decided to leave the instant kava to the masters.

Buddy Love

Thank you for the informational update, Kapm. So much to learn and experience in life.

just received my first packages of instant from GHK a few minutes ago. looking forward to the 3-hour empty stomach point and then honoring some lovely Kava.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I found the same... It took a lot of time to get not a lot of instant. I used a food dehydrator and it worked fine to a degree but still just easier to buy the instant! If you want to go down the instant route which I wouldn't put you off then consider buying a larger amount. I have found if you ask vendors for a kilo at a better price they are usually amenable.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
OOOOO,tasty! sounds like the great way to salvage.
Yeah, it's a bust if you're chasing it, but works out great if you let it come to you as an occasional treat (and there is something inherently kavaesque to that, IMO). There is no practical or economical way to produce your own instant for regular drinking, alas. Just makes it that much more of a treat. And those flakes are awesome!