What's new

Kava Culture Homemade nakamal?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
5B1C38C6-FEAE-4CA0-AC61-0D651E776A5D.jpeg
I will probably never get to go to the Pacific. I’ve decided to try to re-create a nakamal experience at home. I have a shaded space on my property that might work. I think I would like to put a counter and artwork, or at least a nakamal style sign. A lantern of course. And plenty of plastic chairs and small tables. I figure speakers wired up in the trees and playing reggae. Any other suggestions? Here is the space. Would you drink in an imaginary nakamal like this? Of course: plastic bucket, plastic bowls and repurposed water bottles. A range of chasers. I think it might work. I mean just my own private nak . Other people would come, of course, but just as friends.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Looks great to me. What you really need is one of those plastic like tarpaulins that really blow about in the wind to string between the trees. Maybe a bag of redrying makas next to a toilet for total authenticity? And definitely no hand washing facilities for whoever is mixing the grog!

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Looks great to me. What you really need is one of those plastic like tarpaulins that really blow about in the wind to string between the trees. Maybe a bag of redrying makas next to a toilet for total authenticity? And definitely no hand washing facilities for whoever is mixing the grog!
a photo from a Santo nakamal for reference. Makas being redried for export are on the left, in case it wasnt clear..
Screenshot_2018-10-28-06-57-41.png

Jacob Bula

Nobody
View attachment 11738 I will probably never get to go to the Pacific. I’ve decided to try to re-create a nakamal experience at home. I have a shaded space on my property that might work. I think I would like to put a counter and artwork, or at least a nakamal style sign. A lantern of course. And plenty of plastic chairs and small tables. I figure speakers wired up in the trees and playing reggae. Any other suggestions? Here is the space. Would you drink in an imaginary nakamal like this? Of course: plastic bucket, plastic bowls and repurposed water bottles. A range of chasers. I think it might work. I mean just my own private nak . Other people would come, of course, but just as friends.
What state do you live in @Krunkie McKrunkface ? I would come, with kava, if invited if course. :p. -- Not being a creeper- well, maybe a little.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
View attachment 11738 I will probably never get to go to the Pacific. I’ve decided to try to re-create a nakamal experience at home. I have a shaded space on my property that might work. I think I would like to put a counter and artwork, or at least a nakamal style sign. A lantern of course. And plenty of plastic chairs and small tables. I figure speakers wired up in the trees and playing reggae. Any other suggestions? Here is the space. Would you drink in an imaginary nakamal like this? Of course: plastic bucket, plastic bowls and repurposed water bottles. A range of chasers. I think it might work. I mean just my own private nak . Other people would come, of course, but just as friends.
That's really cool. Especially since it seems like you have friends in your area who also enjoy Kava. Any plans for a firepit? That could be a neat addition for a cool evening.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
It sounds like a good idea to me. It would only be viable for me during the summer though. Those leafless trees would take away from the tropical experience IMO. May be no big deal for northern natives though.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Something like this would be sweet.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I'm supportive of camps, nakamals, you probably want a mix of glass, metal, plastic, wood, and ceramic to tighten the feel of camp, a few of each type of bowl. Got 23 mugs in your kitchen, a couple bowls with chips and tupperware with no lid? Tinfoil for wrapping up loose items. Bring it all out, water supply may include 5 gallon barrels of harvested spring water, and a gallon of water which is filled to the top when any is taken out, for drinking, cleaning, and handwash. I also leave a bottle of dishsoap, hydrogen peroxide, and a roll of paper towels wrapped in plastic, in camp, with a few decks of cards, a wood and cork dartboard and some sharp darts, tapestries, and just about any poster that does not have a human face on it. Sticker collections, old kava packages could be piled high like a stack of magazines. I'll have more ideas later, this is the kind of thing I like to think about. Cans of water fro Hawai'i, a metal frying pan.
download.jpeg

Re-drying makas for export? yikes!

Last edited:

Nirad

Kava Curious
Krunkie! How fun! Soon spring will be in full force here in MI and you can make it a reality! What ever you put up, if the last few days are any indicator, make sure you can tie it down if needed. I am not to far from you and the temperature has been nice but boy the wind is terrible!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Krunkie! How fun! Soon spring will be in full force here in MI and you can make it a reality! What ever you put up, if the last few days are any indicator, make sure you can tie it down if needed. I am not to far from you and the temperature has been nice but boy the wind is terrible!
If you are ever passing near you must drop by in warm weather. It’s a good spot to listen to the kava, real countrified nowhere.