What's new

Kava Culture How did you find out about Kava?

How did you find out about kava?

• A friend raved about it.

• I passed a kava bar.

• I just knew.

• It was an accident, I swear.

• Doesn't everyone know about kava?

• It's complicated. See my dissertation below.

Results are only viewable after voting.

currentbun

Kavacidal Maniac
How did you find out about Kava? What made you decide to try it and at what point in your kava journey did you find kavaforums?

I've always believed that the OP merits a response from the poster, so here's mine, boring as it is.

My middle daughter mentioned kava to me in passing about a month ago, mostly because she knows I'm into organic and natural goodies. Something about some friends in Fort Lauderdale area going to same kava lounge. I forgot about it until a week or so later and started researching and decided it was definitely something I wanted to try. I hadn't found this forum yet but was lucky enough to read some credible reviews and bought my first kava, Kalm With Kava's Pouni Ono. Was squeezing it in some cut up pantyhose a couple of days later (thanks to youtube videos) and found this forum while I was drinking it.

Ta da. :D Next, please.

EQ

Atman
I tried Kava whenever my account was made sometime last year November.

I had known about Kava for a couple years beforehand. Just that it was a psychoactive plant really.

I later read about it in my plant books and looked up Kava forums on google.

I specifically looked up forums because I know that generally forums are the best places for specific and detailed info.
Where people with years of knowledge pass down their great wisdom.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Similar to EQ, I had heard about it some years before, then one day I had to go off Benzo's cold turkey and I started to research alternatives, remembered kava was one. Was lucky to land here in my searches, my first purchase was GHK Mahakea & Moi instant and the rest is history.

Mr. Kava

Kava Enthusiast
I first learned about Kava by way of reading Martin Troost's travel book The Sex Lives of Cannibals. The author describes some really fun kava experiences while living in Kiribati.

After that, I ordered 1/2 lb of the strongest Kava I could find online which was at the time Nakamal At Home's "Chiefs Jungle" PNG kava.

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I had known about it idk even know how .. for a long time in my plant researches and herbal books etc. Then I mean I tried konakava aND it sucked but I always thought there had to be more to kava and just my prep was off... which was true but also konakava :eek:

Then I got into K@ and addicted to it, then joined the kratomforum which then when I was swith drawing and thought of using kava for it. I decided to try and search for a kava forums.. and behold here I am ;)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Paul Theroux mentioned it in one of his books and I did some brief googling. I ordered some and it came and I looked at it and I got a bit of resistance from my wife about it so I ended up throwing it away. Then a year or so later I had left my wife temporarily and thought about it again so ordered some more from the same source, drank it and got on with it. I can't remember how or why I ended up here though :)

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
About 15 years ago I had to forego alcohol for a while due to a heart arrhythmia. Coincidentally, at the time, my
marriage was absolute crap (thankfully it's GREAT now!). I very much desired something to help me take the edge off of the
anger and frustration.

I tried a couple of relaxation herbs: skullcap (too weak) and pedicularis (awesome stuff). But, both
are hard to come by if you want decent stuff. Besides, pedicularis, while it helped, didn't quite do
the job -- it made my brain too sludgy, which I don't enjoy.

I researched online and discovered kava. I ordered some (MeloMelo), tried it, and after overcoming
RT, fell in love.

I haven't used it continuously over that 15 years -- I took a few years off. But I started back up in
2010 and have never looked back. I drink the root generally twice a week. Bula!!!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I drink nearly every day. The only reason I take days off at all is if I am going to drink alcohol (usually to do with my wife) or not feeling well, flu, cold or somesuch generally. I rarely take a day off because I don't feel well due to kava symptoms.

S

Summer

I was in major withdrawal from my prescription benzo taper, and was listening to an Andrew Weil book - Spontaneous Happiness. He recommended it. I was spending a lot of time looking for relief in herbal supplements, and found it with kava.

D

Deleted User01

I do like you @Edwards. It's too bad that I have to take a psycho-active substance everyday of my life. But I'm glad that I'm no longer drinking alcohol every day. That stuff has a cummulative effect on your internals. I guess we have to admit our weaknesses and somehow indulge them without hurting ourselves. It's way to hard to swim against the tide. I think many members are substituting kava for substances that are way more dangerous.

schatz

itchin for kava
Found kava through researching online about my REM sleep disorder, said it would help. Since then have found I prefer it over alcohol way more and subsequently have almost quit drinking alcohol. Although I never really had an alcohol problem, kava seems to be more beneficial. Have also found that kava helps my daughter and wife with some of thier issues as well. Now if I can just get them to partake in kava with me, hope fully the moi instant I have coming will do the trick. Stumbled on this forum through my internet browsings and am very gratefull to you all. I have even got an alcoholic friend to try kava, we will have to see how that goes, he did order a Cactus sample pack after our session so I think it went pretty well. Thanks again.

exit stage left
About a year and a half ago I started making my own tea blends, and the woman I ordered my tea herbs in bulk from sold kava. She used the same description in her site as Mountain Rose Herbs does and it was just something I wanted to try. I remember the first time I had it I tried to brew it like tea, in a tea bag and everything! I must have felt at least some effect from it, because I kept at it.

Luckily I did more research and read about traditional prep around the same time I found these forums, about a year ago. And from there, I discovered the vendors here. For a while I still ordered occasionally from my tea-ingredient source because she was in Canada and I could forego exchange rate and customs, but then she changed wherever she got the kava from and I didn't really trust the new stuff so for the last 9 months or so it's been only the vendors here and I don't regret it.

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
As a neurobiologist with a 20+ year interest in entheogen pharmacology, I have known of kava for many years.
Recently a friend mentioned it in passing regarding help quitting MJ. I was also quitting alcohol due to ASH.
I have found it to be an invaluable tool for harm reduction, as have many others here.

I have since fallen in love with the history, ethnobotany, and pharmacology of kava and it's active ingredients.

Like EQ said, I have long known the power of forum talk to get to the "good stuff" when it comes to learning TEK. This approach bypasses much of the internet junk on just about any topic, especially "drugs". The kindness of the folks on this forum is testament to the positive influence kava can have in people's lives.

Bula!