What's new

How do the sublingual effects differ?

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
I saw in another thread someone said the effects from sublingual absorption are different,
can anyone shed some light on this matter?

Bert07

Me like da kava
About 3 times I've tried the sublingual method with the root powder (w/ Wow kava), each time using 2 tsp worth (1tsp at a time) under the tongue because I too was curious about this and was hearing rumors about it being stronger in effects. For one thing I can actually tolerate this method much better than the traditional drink way as far as taste goes which I found surprising, but all in all it wasn't anything to rave about unfortunately. Though I did this when I was still in the process of breaking through my RT so that most likely was a big factor involved but it could have also been that I wasn't using enough each time. Maybe 3 or 4 tsp would suffice better if you're willing to try.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
although sublingual usually allows for more effect with less material...kava root requires so much material to begin with, that it makes sublingual administration fairly useless if you're looking for a 'full' kava experience. I have found it useful to top off a night of drinking kava by putting a pinch or 2 in my lip for about 10-15 min...when I'm out of the beverage but would like a little boost. I've also used it to reverse the onset of a panic attack in the middle of the day when I have no kava prepared...it doesnt get you krunked or anything it just feels like it naturally smooths out your anxiety. To make more of it sublingually you'd probably have to suck on a new pinch of it every 15 minutes for an hour or two (tucked into your bottom lip)...which would be pretty gross and time consuming.

zach

Kava Curious
i would say that under the tongue is a much easier method, you don't have to taste it and it seems more effective

Steve

Ozia - KavaKava Candy
Kava Vendor
I have received some nice feedback regarding the candy. Some people tuck a couple in their cheek and it seems to absorb faster than ingestion as one might expect. I am a light-weight but if I use the candy or put some co2 extract on my tongue it works pretty darn good :)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've never gotten sublingual effects from anything other than chewed fresh root, which is quite nice but unfortunately very short in duration.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Im lucky to suck down a tea. I once put a scoop under my toung, but it did not last long there. Maybe the candy, like @Steve said. Much love. Roaddog....