What's new

How do you power through the nausea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Kava

Kava Curious
Like others have said drink less, but ingesting the plant material seems to offset nausea the most. It's the same way with K@. Just strain real well so you aren't getting much powder into your drink. Personally I use a cut up t shirt. It still strains the kava well but also gets barely any powder into the drink.

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
I eat some cheese. Something that tastes good with a lot of fat cuts nausea and also gives the root a kick. After 4 or 5 I definitely gag.

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
Also, dont take air in. Ive found that if I gag WHILE Im drinking due to the taste, I take in air. The urge to belch makes nausea worse.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Ginger. Before, during, and after. I eat a chunk of candied ginger (or a slice of raw ginger root) before my first shell,
then after each shell thereafter. Makes a YUUUUGE difference in stomach comfort.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Strain better and you'll get less nausea anyway... by the time you're feeling unwell you're probably better to stop.
I agree. If I'm having a long sesh and the kava starts to make me want to gag or feel nauseous at all, even a hint of it, that's my cue to stop. I never want it to be unpleasant in any way, so I refuse to allow that to happen. Stuff can always go in the fridge for tomorrow. Kava wants me to enjoy and is smarter than me, so I do what kava says.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
If you're taking enough to get nauseous, do it after dark and have a comfortable place to sit or lie down. For me, lights and loud noises make it worse.

Have a shell as the sun goes down. Chill outside and listen to the frogs and crickets.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I usually eat a little bit of cheese and crackers. The fat in the cheese helps kick things up a bit. If you want ginger I highly recommend some ginger beer like http://www.fever-tree.com/ginger-beer or make your own ginger drink by grinding real ginger root into tonic. The typical ginger ale soda is for crap and rarely has any appreciable amount of real ginger in it. The fever tree ginger beer is really tasty!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I usually eat a little bit of cheese and crackers. The fat in the cheese helps kick things up a bit. If you want ginger I highly recommend some ginger beer like http://www.fever-tree.com/ginger-beer or make your own ginger drink by grinding real ginger root into tonic. The typical ginger ale soda is for crap and rarely has any appreciable amount of real ginger in it. The fever tree ginger beer is really tasty!
You can make your own homemade ginger beer really cheaply. You have to develop a "mother" for it, like you do with sourdough bread, so the first generation or two isn't much good but once the mother matures you can make excellent stuff at home, and make it as strong as you like or as weak. I like Jamaican style for shandies and such. But yes, ginger works for fighting the kava blechs, I like eating pickled sushi ginger out of the jar for it.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I love fresh ginger, I slice it up and make tea with it. Add a few sliced lemons as well to the boil.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
You can make your own homemade ginger beer really cheaply. You have to develop a "mother" for it, like you do with sourdough bread, so the first generation or two isn't much good but once the mother matures you can make excellent stuff at home, and make it as strong as you like or as weak. I like Jamaican style for shandies and such. But yes, ginger works for fighting the lava blechs, I like eating pickled sushi ginger out of the jar for it.
Awesome! Do you have a link for a good recipe to follow? I loved the strong taste of ginger beer, and my homemade concoction. I would definitely make my own ginger beer! The pickled sushi ginger is also real tasty - I eat mine and my kids when they don't want it.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
There's a million recipes but here's one that's closest to what I make. You don't have to use fresh ginger, powdered ginger works, and also you can use bread yeast to get the mother or bug started, although again, it's better if you use fresh ginger and the natural yeast in the ginger and in the air. And as I said it might take a couple of generations before it hits its stride but when you get a good mother going like with kombucha you want to keep it forever, give it to your grandkids, force it on your friends,....

https://ww2.kqed.org/bayareabites/2014/10/01/feed-your-ginger-bug-and-brew-some-diy-ginger-beer/

Status
Not open for further replies.