What's new

How long can you drink Kava for?

Bark Funklerbunk

Kava Curious
Hi, I'm a newbie to the Kava world, more specifically root powder. I've found this forum very informative thus far and glad to have joined this community. I have found contradictions, misinformation out there regarding Kava (like there is with anything on the net). From what I gather the liver damage is a myth, or gathered from skewed "studies".

My question is how long can I keep drinking Kava? I have read no longer than 4 weeks straight. Is there any fact to this? What are your Kava regimens? Can I safely and responsibly use this healing plant regularly indefinitely? Or do I have to stop at 4 weeks? and if that is indeed true, how long before I can start again? I couldn't find a clear answer anywhere, and I'm guessing this 4 weeks thing has to do with so called liver damage.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
First of all, there is no definitely reported case of liver damage caused by consumption of kava. Period.
Secondly, you can keep on kava drinking as long as you wish. There are no regulations in any sense; you can stop and start again whenever you want, or drink forever. If I remember correctly, @verticity is at 3 years and counting. :wacky: You may want to take a little break for a few days, either because you don't want to drink sometimes (that's how I do it), or because you experience some "side effects" such as mild nausea or dermopathy (which doesn't occur if you drink kava in moderate amounts).

By the way: Be careful if you take some kind of medication, as this may interfere with kava. Better consult your doctor in this case.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum! I have been doing kava for at least 3 years. But I only do Kava 5 times a week. You can stop whenever you feel that the side effects are building up. There are no rules per se. Hey, I got off Kava when I went on vacation so that was a forced layoff. Also, when you go to get your blood checked, always make sure you do a liver panel. We all post our liver readings here and so far they have been outstanding. :woot: But the members hear are super safe and follow all the known rules for Kava safety. I highly recommend that you get your blood checked once a year and not just because of the kava. I actually do it twice a year but it's because I have to check my cholesterol. I don't necessarily see the doctor after every test, I just read the tests myself and put them in a spreadsheet. :D

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Ive been using kava for several years but have been using it daily for at least 6 months now but probably more...? I havent had to stop completely but i have had to cut back for a few days and switch up varieties to reduce feeling dehydrated or a bit too tired. The only thing i would say for sure is if you are going to use kava daily make sure the kind your using is a noble kava, becuase drinking tudei or partially tudei blends can cause some pretty bad side effects. I was drinking kava that tested as partially tudei for a while a couple years ago and ended up almost swearing it off because of the lethargy and depression I experienced from it. Not with noble kava though

D

Deleted User01

I hear ya @ThePiper, those "weekend Kavas" do seem to have a cummulative effect that is not helpful. So there you go @Bark Funklerbunk, beware of the code name "weekend". They are very strong and can actually give you a hangover. In my case, I was trying to get rid of hangovers by switching to kava.

Bark Funklerbunk

Kava Curious
Thanks for the welcome, feedback, info and peace of mind. I should have noted that I do not drink, smoke or use drugs (illicit, prescription, or otc) with the exception of caffeine. I do drink kombucha daily which has a residual amount of alcohol. My first batch of Kava powder was purchased from Eternity in a Box, which I could not confirm what the grade or quality was (I jumped the gun on Kava without research) which led me to a purchase from GHK, which I understand is a well respected vendor around these parts, and ultimately here. I had seen reviews on some strains GHK was selling, here on kavaforums. Also worth noting, I have been preparing my Kava the traditional way. I have my reasons for imbibing this wonderful elixir, and am grateful to have found such a wonderful ally! Thanks truly for the welcome, and look forward to getting to know a few of you, and learning whatever I can.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Plenty of folks here with over 10 years of near daily use. They seem ok...

And welcome. And nice dog picture...hah!