What's new

How long did it take you to "dial in"?

Cataligh

I am interested to hear about some of your experiences with kava and how long it took you to figure out exactly what you like. I was introduced to kava in January when my wife and I were vacationing on the Big Island. Since then it's been an interesting and expensive wild ride. I feel like every night is a new experiment, using a different method and/or a different grind. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes I am indifferent to it. I always feel the kava, but I don't always know if I'm enjoying exactly what I'm feeling.

I started with the Wakacon stuff from Amazon using traditional prep, 2-6 TBSP to 1-3 cups of water, kneading for about 10 minutes. I was not a big fan, it got me kind of nauseous. I then bought a medium grind from Kava Time, I forget the strain. It was much cleaner than the Wakacon, however it did give me a bit of anxiety, same prep method. From there I purchased a sample pack from KWK. Borongoru, Loa Waka, and Pouni Ono. All medium grind. I found all three of these to be less potent than the Kava Time and Wakacon, however, they were all 4 oz packages so I may not have been using enough root. At this point I started to feel like the traditional prep was too much work for what I was getting out of the kava, so I purchased some Borogu micro from KWK. This I did enjoy, but wasn't sure if I enjoyed taking a little bit at a time, or downing 3 TBSP at once. The convenience was great though. I purchased a bag of micro Nene after this, from GHK. I also enjoyed this, but it did carry a little big of anxiety for me. It's hard to explain actually, like I'll be feeling great, then all of a sudden my mind is like "wait a minute, is it okay to be feeling this great?" and I'll have a bit of anxiety for a moment which tends to fade away if I stop thinking about it. Makes it difficult for me to just relax and watch TV, however, with the Nene, I did have a couple of teaspoons in the morning and enjoyed listening to music more than I have in a long time.

Last night I received an Aluball and some medium grind Mo'i. I did enjoy the Mo'i, more than the Nene i think. It was very different, there was no anxiety. I played some video games and watched TV, I had a great sleep afterwards. This was with 2 TBSP in the Aluball, two washes. Loved the convenience of the Aluball. I'm not totally against traditional prep, but being that I haven't figured out exactly what I like yet, it's just too much. Now I feel in order to get the most out of the Aluball, I need to purchase a second ball. It's just seems like so much experimentation and trial and error. I'm ready to be at the point where I know what strains I like, I know how much of it to take, and how I'm going to prepare it. I'm getting anxiety trying to figure out how to administer my anti-anxiety treatment lol. It's not that serious but I imagine some of you may be able to relate.

Anybody else have a similar experience trying to dial things in? Maybe any recommendations for figuring this all out? Love to hear your stories.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I am interested to hear about some of your experiences with kava and how long it took you to figure out exactly what you like. I was introduced to kava in January when my wife and I were vacationing on the Big Island. Since then it's been an interesting and expensive wild ride. I feel like every night is a new experiment, using a different method and/or a different grind. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes I am indifferent to it. I always feel the kava, but I don't always know if I'm enjoying exactly what I'm feeling.

I started with the Wakacon stuff from Amazon using traditional prep, 2-6 TBSP to 1-3 cups of water, kneading for about 10 minutes. I was not a big fan, it got me kind of nauseous. I then bought a medium grind from Kava Time, I forget the strain. It was much cleaner than the Wakacon, however it did give me a bit of anxiety, same prep method. From there I purchased a sample pack from KWK. Borongoru, Loa Waka, and Pouni Ono. All medium grind. I found all three of these to be less potent than the Kava Time and Wakacon, however, they were all 4 oz packages so I may not have been using enough root. At this point I started to feel like the traditional prep was too much work for what I was getting out of the kava, so I purchased some Borogu micro from KWK. This I did enjoy, but wasn't sure if I enjoyed taking a little bit at a time, or downing 3 TBSP at once. The convenience was great though. I purchased a bag of micro Nene after this, from GHK. I also enjoyed this, but it did carry a little big of anxiety for me. It's hard to explain actually, like I'll be feeling great, then all of a sudden my mind is like "wait a minute, is it okay to be feeling this great?" and I'll have a bit of anxiety for a moment which tends to fade away if I stop thinking about it. Makes it difficult for me to just relax and watch TV, however, with the Nene, I did have a couple of teaspoons in the morning and enjoyed listening to music more than I have in a long time.

Last night I received an Aluball and some medium grind Mo'i. I did enjoy the Mo'i, more than the Nene i think. It was very different, there was no anxiety. I played some video games and watched TV, I had a great sleep afterwards. This was with 2 TBSP in the Aluball, two washes. Loved the convenience of the Aluball. I'm not totally against traditional prep, but being that I haven't figured out exactly what I like yet, it's just too much. Now I feel in order to get the most out of the Aluball, I need to purchase a second ball. It's just seems like so much experimentation and trial and error. I'm ready to be at the point where I know what strains I like, I know how much of it to take, and how I'm going to prepare it. I'm getting anxiety trying to figure out how to administer my anti-anxiety treatment lol. It's not that serious but I imagine some of you may be able to relate.

Anybody else have a similar experience trying to dial things in? Maybe any recommendations for figuring this all out? Love to hear your stories.
You don't have to purchase a second AluBall if you don't want.

To make proper grog with one Aluball:

Use 2 TBS medium grind with 300 ml cold tap water. Shake for 30 - 60 seconds, pour the contents into a jar. Do a second wash with the original ball, this time with 200 ml cold tap water and shake for 1 - 2 minutes. Pour that into the jar with the first wash and shake them together. Oh yeah, put the lid on first. Anyway, that's how you make a half litre of decent grog with 1 AluBall and 2 TBS grind.

PS Yes, it is ok to feel this great

Last edited: