What's new

how long do the effects last for you?

exit stage left
Just wondering, because from what I've read, the effects seem to be pretty short-lasting for me, but I also tend feel effects almost immediately and it only takes maybe 2 servings of 1.5 tablespoons in 1 and 1/3 cups of water each to get me to a good place. 3 tablespoons seems like a small/medium dose for a kava session.

After I drink those two servings, the effects are enjoyable and last about 2 hours before they mostly wear off. The onset is almost immediate, within 15 minutes if my stomach is empty. I never had much reverse tolerance - from the first time I tried kava I had strong enough effects to be enjoyable, but I think it got stronger the more time I spent drinking kava.

This is going by my experience with GHK Moi alone. I've tried Boroguru and Mahakea from GHK as well, and some stuff from a local vendor got me through the minimal amount of reverse tolerance I might have experienced, but it's been so long I don't really remember if it was the same sort of timeline. If I remember correctly, Boroguru definitely put me to sleep for an hour or so, and Mahakea was similar. Moi doesn't make me sleepy. Maybe I shouldn't start at lunchtime and instead start in the evening and let it take me to bedtime.

Would you consider going out somewhere while under the effects of kava? Sometimes it's much stronger than I was expecting. For that reason, I don't really want to take it to close to social events or work, even though it would help with my anxiety.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
For me, it depends on the strain, how taken, and how much.

My typical session is with hand-squeezed grog from medium grind kava root. I make about 24 oz of grog, and I make it fairly strong.
Effects generally last me 2-3 krunk-hours, followed by gradual come-down of another 1-2 hours. This is usually with heavier kavas. I usually don't mess with lighter ones. YMMV, and strains vary.

Instant doesn't last as long for me, nor does toss-n-wash. Generally those will last 1.5 hours and then taper off quicker.

I generally don't like to go anywhere when krunk. I like to just sit and relax, and either play guitar or piano, or listen to music. Kava doesn't
make me more social at all. I think I'm in the minority here. To me, doing stuff and being around people is just too "busy" and detracts
from the real euphoric enjoyment.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I feel like I get what your saying. I was gonna post a thread to about it. I wonder if the reason my experience is short is cause of the low dose I drink, because too much at once woops my butt and by to much I mean 2 to 3 tablespoons at once. Which seems small... maybe I need to make it into more water and then spread out the effects after having the initial correct dose. I find my sweet spot and too much to be very close

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Ya, it's probably some sort of threshold thing. Too little and it doesn't last long, too much and it lasts MUCH longer. You're right, the
sweet spot can be tricky! Take it slower and that will help.

Bear in mind that eating certain foods can really boost the effects, so take that into account!

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I take an everyday body kava like boroguru just to relax from work at about 1 tablespoon micro. I wouldnt say there is any real duration, other than getting me to relax from a hard day.

A strong "special use" heavy/body kava like the hanky panky last a good 2 hours and tapers slowly for about 3 more that's at 3 tablespoons. A special use is when no one is home, but I don't want to get krunked. I want to become one with the couch and remote and watch anime.

I have finally found my sweet spot for heady kava like the Fiji Loa. 4 tablespoons no more, on the edge of krunked, euphoric, somewhat unsteady on my feet. BUT if needed I can shake it off and do something. Except drive, will not drive like that... This can last me a good three hours if uninterrupted.

No food for the last two paragraphs. Food kills it off.

Edited for @Zachary (y)

Last edited:

exit stage left
You're right, VictoryRider, slower is better. If I space the shells out a little more it lasts longer. I don't really like kavas that put me to sleep, so my go-to kava right now is Mo'i. On my days off, I might even have some during the day. If I choose the right food, it can enhance the kava, but it still works best if I drink the kava on an empty stomach, maybe while eating something small to kill the taste of the kava.

I guess it's always an experiment to see what works best for you.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Ya, it's probably some sort of threshold thing. Too little and it doesn't last long, too much and it lasts MUCH longer. You're right, the
sweet spot can be tricky! Take it slower and that will help.

Bear in mind that eating certain foods can really boost the effects, so take that into account!
I haven't had any luck with foods after/before kava. I can have a small bite to eat a few minutes after but nothing revs it up for me. But even that small bite can slow it down if I am not careful, so I will wait a bit first.