What's new

how long do you steep your brew?

WaltonGroggins

a.k.a. "Kount Grogula"
I used a blender on supreme a few days back, over aluball or trad. Just for a change , it occured to me that i was just turning it in to micro as there was much less left in the strainer bag.
That's why I steep for 20-30 min.

I blend/strain before doing trad prep (1st wash & 2nd/3rd wash, respectively), and I believe that a good soak makes the larger fibers less brittle, therefore more able to tolerate blending without breaking apart. I think my Blendtec's "uniquely blunt safety blade" also helps to prevent micronization.

Still, it's pretty powerful, so I blend on the lowest setting for only 90 seconds (three 30s cycles, letting the mixture settle between each).

This method is really convenient because my first wash (4C, blend/strain) takes no time at all, so I do my second wash (2C, kneading for 15-20min) immediately afterward and then combine the two.

I freeze the roots and trad prep a third wash the next day with 3C hot water (in a glass bowl), adding this to whatever's left of yesterday's batch.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
That's why I steep for 20-30 min.

I blend/strain before doing trad prep (1st wash & 2nd/3rd wash, respectively), and I believe that a good soak makes the larger fibers less brittle, therefore more able to tolerate blending without breaking apart. I think my Blendtec's "uniquely blunt safety blade" also helps to prevent micronization.

Still, it's pretty powerful, so I blend on the lowest setting for only 90 seconds (three 30s cycles, letting the mixture settle between each).

This method is really convenient because my first wash (4C, blend/strain) takes no time at all, so I do my second wash (2C, kneading for 15-20min) immediately afterward and then combine the two.

I freeze the roots and trad prep a third wash the next day with 3C hot water (in a glass bowl), adding this to whatever's left of yesterday's batch.
Looks like a really good system working there.