Change background image

How long does .5 lb of Kava lasts if drank daily?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Yummi GummiBear, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Yummi GummiBear

Yummi GummiBear New Member

Hi, new here.
    How long does 1/2lb last if it is drank daily? How long for 1lb?

Also, how much Kava (tsp, TB, etc) needed to prepare a cup of Kava beverage in order to receive the positive benefits?

I'm trying to stop drinking alcohol again and this time to remain sober, I'm a heavy drinker. I'm about to order my first Kava, either 1/2lb or 1lb.
    Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Intrepidus_dux likes this.
  2. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

This thread will hopefully answer your question on the "average" amount people drink (TBS and grams)
    http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/what-is-an-average-dose-in-grams-of-kava-per-session.2569/
    Since you are new I would recommend a 1/2lb or a sampler pack to find a kava you like before dropping money on a full lb.
  3. Yummi GummiBear

Yummi GummiBear New Member

4. Kavashua

Kavashua Mmmm Kava

Trial and error is your best friend since kava can be so highly variable between individuals. I’m also a heavy drinker (alcohol) and just as heavy of a kava drinker when I have it on hand. depending on how good the grog is I’ve had a pound last me anywhere from 4 to 12 days.
    Krunʞy likes this.
  5. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

In general, figure on 1 TBS or about 6g of medium grind per cup (250ml) of grog. (in actual practice using freezer makas I push it more to about 350 - 400ml per TBS)

there are typically about 72 TBS to a pound.

I go through a pound in 9 days but I usually drink around 12 cups a day of kava, mainly for pleasure, and I mean a lot of pleasure. Gonna go get a shell right now, just thinking about it. Anyway, how much one needs or wants can be highly subjective. For most medical benefits I reckon you can get that on a cup a day of grog. So I'm getting a cup a day of health and 11 cups a day of pleasure. Except I also enjoy the health cup, too. And the pleasure ones do my health some good. It costs me about $4/day to drink lots and lots of kava pretty much all day long. I am at the extreme end of the scale. Most people routinely drink far less than that and most don't drink kava anything like near as often. I just offer this for helping to define parameters. You need to know this stuff going in so I hope it helps.
    nashfire and Pauluk like this.
  6. Pauluk

Pauluk Kava Enthusiast

Whereas as a Krunked big session for me is 3 dessert spoons over 5 hours. Thank goodness
    As it aint cheap to get it to the uk.
  7. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

8. Plantacious

Plantacious Kava Enthusiast

Depends on the degree of your "dependence" or need.
  9. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

In seriousness, a half lb will probably last me about 6-9 days if i don't share...
  10. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

Krunʞy likes this.
  11. Intrepidus_dux

Intrepidus_dux Kava Enthusiast

When drinking kava daily, I was going through 2.5 pounds a month with how I was mixing. I believe I was averaging 6-8 shells a night. Your kava drinking will likely ebb and flow.
  12. BaySailor

BaySailor Member

A half pound drinking daily using a single Aluball will last me about 5-6 days. I buy my dry stuff at the local Kava bar, and I get fresh-prepared from them when I stop by to get my dry, so not using the dry that day, then about 6 days in between.
    FWIW, I quit drinking when my son was born almost 25 years ago. 'Discovered' kava last year, and it's been a wonderful way to relive the best social aspects of drinking without the downsides. Never once has kava made me think about drinking alcohol again, by the way.
    Intrepidus_dux likes this.