What's new

Kava Poll How many tbsps per session?

How many tablespoons of root do you use per session?

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 5 7.1%

Votes: 11 15.7%

Votes: 18 25.7%

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • 6-8

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • 8-10

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • 10+

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Just out of interest, how many tablespoons of root powder (med grind) do you use in an average session? I know this may vary per kava but just an average.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Of medium grind, I most often use 8-10 Tbsp, so I voted for that.
But I'll also use 6-8 or 10+

Micro is usually 5 or 6 Tbsp
I know it will vary a bit from time to time but just interested in an average for the majority of people.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
In case you wanna compare these responses to previous kavaforum averages:
Average tablespoon/serving: 3.6
Average tablespoon/day: 8
Average instant tablespoon/day: 2.7
Average grams/serving: 32

Last edited:

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
I was having some bad nausea from kava. And not just a half hour right after drinking it. Nausea that would linger all day! I was using 2 tablespoon servings every evening. Plus a tablespoon of micronized in the Morning, and another in the afternoon.
So, I started using 1 tablespoon at a time. In the evenings, I may 1 tablespoon followed by another in about an hour.

My nausea cleared up! I miss that 2 tablespoon rush, but I'm much happier with not having nausea.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I was having some bad nausea from kava. And not just a half hour right after drinking it. Nausea that would linger all day! I was using 2 tablespoon servings every evening. Plus a tablespoon of micronized in the Morning, and another in the afternoon.
So, I started using 1 tablespoon at a time. In the evenings, I may 1 tablespoon followed by another in about an hour.

My nausea cleared up! I miss that 2 tablespoon rush, but I'm much happier with not having nausea.
So you must be getting the warm glow but not the rush?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
So far there seems to be a group around the 3 to 4 level and a group in the 6 to 10 area. Interesting.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
So you must be getting the warm glow but not the rush?
Okay, I've been working on a bag of Papa Kea from ghk. It's NOT causing nausea! I'm back to two tablespoons in the evening. I don't know if it was me cutting back and my stomach healing, or the Papa Kea. I'm thinking about posting and asking the forum if anyone knows some strong characteristic Papa Kea is known for.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I only ever drink medium grind and use about 8 heaped tbsp per evening, about 120g or so, to 1.2 litres water.
If I'm greedy I'll mix up another half bowl afterwards but that doesn't happen often.
I hardly ever drink before 4.30pm, usually aiming for the sunset slot.
I envy those that can enjoy a true kava evening on 2-4 tbsp.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I only ever drink medium grind and use about 8 heaped tbsp per evening, about 120g or so, to 1.2 litres water.
If I'm greedy I'll mix up another half bowl afterwards but that doesn't happen often.
I hardly ever drink before 4.30pm, usually aiming for the sunset slot.
I envy those that can enjoy a true kava evening on 2-4 tbsp.
I think opinions of what is a true kava evening will vary quite widely! 1.2 litres sounds like a lot but I suppose it's only about 5 cups. That's still the weakest ratio I have found mentioned so far. Consider that shakas uses 8 tbsp. to 2 cups water. For me I find drinking multiple shells of weak kava gives my stomach more problems. If I drink 2 small shells of strong kava I'm better. Also I get a good rush from that then.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
For instance, last night I had 3 heaped teaspoons of QKP (VKS and GKE) in 200 ml milk and got a very nice effect. Then repeated after 1 hour and carried it going. Slept great but I think I would have been fine on just 2 teaspoons each time. It's good stuff, particularly with the milk.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
For instance, last night I had 3 heaped teaspoons of QKP (VKS and GKE) in 200 ml milk and got a very nice effect. Then repeated after 1 hour and carried it going. Slept great but I think I would have been fine on just 2 teaspoons each time. It's good stuff, particularly with the milk.
Are you using milk with an Aluball? Just wondering how they hold up with juice or milk.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I think opinions of what is a true kava evening will vary quite widely!
That's very true Edward - everyone's idea of a satisfactory kava session is different, even in Vanuatu. Some are happy to feel just some effect, others like to keep going into the night till they are seeing double and then take some more home - for me its somewhere in between, aiming to stop some way before the double vision!
But to clarify, and to speak the same language as most other drinkers here, I only just realised that a tbsp is actually a standard unit and not just " a spoonful" - my 8 or so tbsp are heaped as much as the spoon will hold - I only use the tablespoon to move the powder to the stocking, not as a US standard-measure. I just looked up what a US tbsp is - it said 14.7ml? When I put one of my tbsp scoops into a calibrated beaker it is about 35ml, so I guess that makes it about 18 standard US tbpn per 1.2 litres.
Anyway, it makes a strong enough mix to provide a definite hit with the first shell (an 80% full half coconut shell) or two, and it's definitely bedtime when the bowl is finished, after 3 hours or so of drinking.

It depends on the kava too of course (stating the obvious.). With a decent Tanna or north Pentecost kava I wouldn't use anything close to that amount.