What's new

How many washes?

plath

Professional Newbie
How many washes do you typically do? I’m on wash 3 and still getting murky water, so I assume I’m still getting the good stuff. Do you keep washing until it’s “spent,” or do a couple and then freeze for later?

(I did a search but didn’t find much in the way of an answer).

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
How many washes do you typically do? I’m on wash 3 and still getting murky water, so I assume I’m still getting the good stuff. Do you keep washing until it’s “spent,” or do a couple and then freeze for later?

Absolutely, after 3-4 washes, freeze it and save it for when you have enough (like a cup) to defrost and knead, that's I do. Also depends on the kava, my usual which is Squanch I get more like 4-5 washes, others a little less depending on the kava. But yeah, freeze it all for a later date.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

I do a couple washes then freeze the makas for later. Typically, before I chuck the makas on the compost it has been through six washes and as many as eight.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

The real answer is as many as your time, budget, and convenience will allow. Krunkie McKrunkface's method will get you the most bang for your buck, but it does take a little more time and effort for all those washes, and saving the makas in the freezer. I will say don't discount those 3 or 4 washes just because they are lighter. My wife actually enjoys starting with those when she joins me because they are much easier to drink and still have plenty of KLs to relax you after a long day. They might not get you krunk or hit you upside your head like a first wash but still good stuff!

kavajames

I like to do 2 washes then combine leftovers with leftovers from another batch that's washed twice

stops the brews getting too weak