What's new

How much Kava Kava can you take at once and be safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Green

Kava Curious
Another reason I wanted to change to Kava Kava is that I quit doing a bunch of other things for safety but I have heard people have died from taking too much kava Kava so I was wondering what the correct dosage it. Is there a danger level anyone knows of?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Another reason I wanted to change to Kava Kava is that I quit doing a bunch of other things for safety but I have heard people have died from taking too much kava Kava so I was wondering what the correct dosage it. Is there a danger level anyone knows of?
Let me dispel that for you right up front. You can’t die from a kava overdose unless you were literally trying to shoot kavalactone paste into your veins. You can make yourself sick, sure but you’re a nap away from feeling better again. Kava is very forgiving, however it’s up to you to find your effective amount that agrees with you.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
But it is better to avoid making yourself puke or get sick. Its hard enough to drink chalky bitter root water without associating the taste and smell with the experience of getting sick.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
There is the very definite risk that if you accidentally consume too much kava too quickly you can rapidly lose control of both major and minor muscle functions, especially in the legs. Combine this with visual disturbances that can get very extreme, like only being able to look out one eye, inability to focus on anything, and you can very easily fall and hurt yourself in the process and people have. You can break bones, smash your face in on the edge of a table, baasically if it's possible, then it could happen. So, if you ever find yourself in that state, stay put, do not try to walk anywhere. And especially do not drive or try to operate any machinery, no sharp objects. Just make yourself as comfortable as you can right where you are and wait for it to pass, which may be as little as 20 minutes but it could take several hours if the overdose is extreme, especially if you had recently had any alcohol.

Aside from the physical risk of falling or an accident, there really isn't much risk from an overdose. You'll feel bad, very bad, and you won't want to feel bad like that again so having learned your leson you will probably try to avoid the mistake in future. But the bad will mainly include any one or even all of the following: extreme nausea, even to the point of throwing up, vertigo, possibly so extreme you cannot walk, dry mouth, like it's full of sandy grit, confusion or agitation or even a feeling of panic (if you don't know what is happening to you or why or how to handle it and start to freak out instead of just relax and wait), unpleasant visual disturbances such as diplopia, trouble focusing, and the world just spinning so you have to shut your eyes, also possible hypersensitivity to noises, smell, light,..... It will all pass, as long as you wait patiently and drink water when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.