What's new

How to make traditional kava by Bula Kava House

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Judd himself shows us how to make a batch of traditional kava. Enjoy!

Thanks Kapm. I'm sure most of the knowledgeable folks of the forum got it down, but we take for granted our experience. Just lomi lomi-ing a bag of kava in a bowl of water is a totally foreign concept for so many.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thanks Kapm. I'm sure most of the knowledgeable folks of the forum got it down, but we take for granted our experience. Just lomi lomi-ing a bag of kava in a bowl of water is a totally foreign concept for so many.
Great video. I know when I first started I went for microgrind because I was so unsure about the traditional prep method. Once I finally did it and saw how easy it was to make good strong kava with a simple bowl and bag (and much better tasting than micro) I was converted. I still occasionally have instant or micro on hand for the convenience factor but traditional prep is the way to go and we should encourage new users to see how easy it is.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Great video. I know when I first started I went for microgrind because I was so unsure about the traditional prep method. Once I finally did it and saw how easy it was to make good strong kava with a simple bowl and bag (and much better tasting than micro) I was converted. I still occasionally have instant or micro on hand for the convenience factor but traditional prep is the way to go and we should encourage new users to see how easy it is.
Yep. I thought traditional prep was too much of a hassle to do every day, years ago. Instant was also cheaper than now and very potent. Once I switched back to medium grind there was no turning back.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Salad bowl... I tried that in high school; the varnish (or whatever it was) came off of it; ew. Glass punch bowl was awesome, though.
I just sanded my salad bowl down to bare wood. Over time the KL's give it a nice patina.

Food safety inspectors might not approve. I say, just hang your salad bowl from a string under the eaves of your house when not in use. For even more hygiene, bury your bilos in wet sand. Use fresh empty tins of tinfish or corned beef every time you dig out the bilos, so you have something clean to balance them on.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I just sanded my salad bowl down to bare wood. Over time the KL's give it a nice patina.

Food safety inspectors might not approve. I say, just hang your salad bowl from a string under the eaves of your house when not in use. For even more hygiene, bury your bilos in wet sand. Use fresh empty tins of tinfish or corned beef every time you dig out the bilos, so you have something clean to balance them on.
I actually intended to bury the bilo i made in high school in the nasty black silt at the bottom of parts of the river or in a nearby marsh, since we don't have any mangroves. I can't remember for sure, but I don't think I got around to it. But I wouldn't have hesitated to do it if it was convenient. That mud smelled nasty too. We used to dive down to the bottom of the river and scoop it up when we were kids and throw it at each other. I hope our modern sanitized society still lets kids do stuff like that.