What's new

Hubby wants to start drinking kava! Question..

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Ok, so, I may be having such great anxiety relief from kava that my husband sees the difference. He drinks alcohol for anxiety, although, not an alcoholic, he’s watching his weight and also works out. So, he said he wants to try whatever I prep today. Of course, there’s the whole RT thing which I told him about but which?? I was thinking of prepping either KWK Melo Melo, Borogu or I can make Lapita. My first kava ever was Supreme but RT was in full effect. So, I honestly don’t remember which would be best to start? I’m making a few batches since we will both be enjoying kava and he will hopefully leave his IPAs for weekends or occasions. Those are what I have opened already. What was your first kava? Hoping to convert him to a daily kava drinker, like myself.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Ok, so, I may be having such great anxiety relief from kava that my husband sees the difference. He drinks alcohol for anxiety, although, not an alcoholic, he’s watching his weight and also works out. So, he said he wants to try whatever I prep today. Of course, there’s the whole RT thing which I told him about but which?? I was thinking of prepping either KWK Melo Melo, Borogu or I can make Lapita. My first kava ever was Supreme but RT was in full effect. So, I honestly don’t remember which would be best to start? I’m making a few batches since we will both be enjoying kava and he will hopefully leave his IPAs for weekends or occasions. Those are what I have opened already. What was your first kava? Hoping to convert him to a daily kava drinker, like myself.
My first krunk was GHK Moi instant, I guess it doesn't really apply to you, from my experience of introducing other people to kava, I suggest a stronger than usual shell to see if there is any RT and also make sure he hasn't eaten anything for the last 4 hours.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

My first krunk was GHK Moi instant, I guess it doesn't really apply to you, from my experience of introducing other people to kava, I suggest a stronger than usual shell to see if there is any RT and also make sure he hasn't eaten anything for the last 4 hours.
I have the 11 year Waka but thought it may make him sleepy? I haven’t even opened the bag yet. Is that a good one to start?

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

I would go with whatever you have that's the strongest. Rt could well be an issue so just the strongest you have.
I have just about everything since I’m trying everything out. I listed the ones that I have opened at the moment. Supreme? I have loads of that and wouldn’t mind opening another bag. However, Borogu is opened... just not sure it’s strong enough. I like that I feel productive while enjoying Borogu before relaxation sets in but he wants to work out tonight. That kind of leaves behind any waka, no? I understand that no one can give me an exact answer but the responses are very helpful. This could either completely turn him off to kava or it could be the best thing ever(no more weekday beers to relax before kiddos are in bed and he can get downstairs to workout)

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

I would probably go with borogu or lapita because kwk melo was an unpleasant feeling for me.
I’m curious, what was unpleasant about it? I’ve already tried my bag of Melo Melo (KWK) and I don’t remember it being unpleasant but if I overdo it, I always think of that as being unpleasant.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Awesome! He won’t have eaten anything since lunch by the time he gets home. I just don’t want the taste to kill his idea of ever trying it again. I associate the taste to decreased anxiety so it doesn’t bother me. What do you tell the person with whom you are trying it first? Some just taste disgusting, honestly.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Awesome! He won’t have eaten anything since lunch by the time he gets home. I just don’t want the taste to kill his idea of ever trying it again. I associate the taste to decreased anxiety so it doesn’t bother me. What do you tell the person with whom you are trying it first? Some just taste disgusting, honestly.
I make a joke about it but tell them the truth, it looks like dirt and it tastes like it too, but it's worth getting past it and throwing it back fast.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Nice! It took awhile but my wife now occasionally joins me in my kava drinking. For her the taste is the biggest turn-off . I choose for quite some time to only make her kava that was less bitter and smoother drinking. Hawaiian varieties or Tongans usually fit this bill, and made with cold water only (I find hot water makes a stronger drink but also much more bitter). Now that she is over the taste she has no issue knocking back an oily and bitter Squanch but I would not start there. The 11 year waka is fine, but being a microgrind and kind of gritty can be a tough to get over so I would recommend medium grind all day long. Good luck!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My wife joins me nightly for kava. She started with traditional prep powdered root, but it seemed to cause her too much nausea. She drinks Kalm with Kava's guava drink concentrate and loves it. If they're totally turned off to the taste, remember you have options! :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have just about everything since I’m trying everything out. I listed the ones that I have opened at the moment. Supreme? I have loads of that and wouldn’t mind opening another bag. However, Borogu is opened... just not sure it’s strong enough. I like that I feel productive while enjoying Borogu before relaxation sets in but he wants to work out tonight. That kind of leaves behind any waka, no? I understand that no one can give me an exact answer but the responses are very helpful. This could either completely turn him off to kava or it could be the best thing ever(no more weekday beers to relax before kiddos are in bed and he can get downstairs to workout)
Having been a drinker for many years and speaking to most other ex drinkers something a bit heavier like supreme would be a good idea. To my mind it replicates alcohol more closely than anything else .

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
FWIW, not all have rt. My husband succumbed to kava much like yours - he saw me enjoying and got too curious. He noticed effects the first time he tried it so perhaps your will be lucky as well. I would start with something nice and strong, which is supreme in my opinion. Good luck.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
My wife joins me nightly for kava. She started with traditional prep powdered root, but it seemed to cause her too much nausea. She drinks Kalm with Kava's guava drink concentrate and loves it. If they're totally turned off to the taste, remember you have options! :)
My wife regularly horks my kava, but that's cool, that's why I make a lot.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Having been a drinker for many years and speaking to most other ex drinkers something a bit heavier like supreme would be a good idea. To my mind it replicates alcohol more closely than anything else .
I think I’ll trad prep this up right now, before he gets home from work. Great idea! Just hoping RT and the taste don’t turn him off as I was very open to kava which kept my interest through everything. Not sure with him! Thank you!!

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

So, how did his first experience go?
He felt dizzy a little. He is a very panicky person. Sadly, I feel that he just won't give up beer. RT can be a real bummer! He will never get to understand this wonderful root in place of his hops because he won't give it enough time. Hey, it's improved my entire well being and he sees that to the fullest. He uses beer, though. :/